Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion: The reboot

protar

So I did a search for Welsh language fanfic on Archive of Our Own. And that opening sentence alone was enough to lose your good opinion, wasn't it? I saw something about Captain America that had a large number of reviews and clicked on it. My Welsh is pretty poor, and I couldn't understand it. But I could just about follow the comment thread which has got to be among the weirdest I've seen.

I think google translate has probably made this better:

Stephan Rogers sad to be poor and vulnerable, and there was no jangling in his pockets as he walked home from the empty another day of not finding any work. He had to stop a few times to get some asthma.

When he got home, he unlocked the door to find her roommate and best friend Bucky "James" Barnes naked at the kitchen table. "Bucky what you do." Steve asked. Blushed bright red and was turning around. "Put some clothes on."

Steve I need you, Bucky said. Rose up and walked over to Steve and close the door. "This is for you." He drew attention in his manhood, and it was dark purple (not that Steve said, since he was blind color) and stand upright.

Steve blushed again. "I'm not a dame!" "I know that your" sighed Bucky. Steve got angry. "But even if I did, that would be fine, because a woman there is nothing to be ashamed of. Women can do whatever they want, just like the men. We should all be equal ! "Before Bucky interject, Steve continues. "And not only cis, straight women, either. Women transgender and queer women genderqueer and all women are entitled to the same rights that we have. So should women of color." Bucky confused and it showed on his face . Steve was disgusted with him. "Google overlap, Jimmy. I'm not here to teach you."

"I'm sorry baby" Bucky expelled. Tears began to well up in his eyes as he thought about what he is doing to Steve. It always hurt and Steve steve hurt as much by society and his health is failing already.

"Let me make it up to you. He was beaten to Bucky, threatening thing." I promise you again hurt anymore. "

It's the comments that are the interesting part. Apart from the big dark purple part of course.

A2 is going to be packed to the gunnels. There'll be enough time for each character to say about three lines each. Still, as long as they don't involve anything like "I promise you again hurt anymore," or even "Nid wyf yn addo i chi eto brifo anymore" I suppose it may turn out okay.

When I read the thread title, I thought you were suggesting that they reboot the MCU. I'm glad I was wrong. :P

Ditto! Although, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the MCU got a bit of a reboot after the Infinity War films are all said and done. The reality gem is a convenient tool for that, especially since Chris Evans as Cap and RDJ as Tony Stark are not likely to be involved in the MCU past Infinity War 2.

Ditto! Although, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the MCU got a bit of a reboot after the Infinity War films are all said and done. The reality gem is a convenient tool for that, especially since Chris Evans as Cap and RDJ as Tony Stark are not likely to be involved in the MCU past Infinity War 2.

I don't think they'll reboot so soon. They can just have another guy wear the Iron Man armor (Favreau needs to start losing some weight) and Bucky can take over as the Captain.

The problem that Marvel Studios has --as I see it-- is that Spiderman is central to so many of their arcs... they can do these stories without the FOX Properties,,, but going forward, they have to water too much down without Spiderman...

I would love to see what would happen if they took Sony to court for doing their property irreparable harm... Marvel would lose of course, but it might motivate Sony to share the brand, which I think would be a win for both studios

The problem that Marvel Studios has --as I see it-- is that Spiderman is central to so many of their arcs... they can do these stories without the FOX Properties,,, but going forward, they have to water too much down without Spiderman...

I would love to see what would happen if they took Sony to court for doing their property irreparable harm... Marvel would lose of course, but it might motivate Sony to share the brand, which I think would be a win for both studios

I don't see how. There's nothing they can do that requires Spiderman.

but it might motivate Sony to share the brand,

How? Unnecessary and in this case snide litigation is not something known to bring friends closer together, is it?

And yeah, I agree with Shryke. Imo the absence of the FF and the X-Men (and in particular their cosmic- and world-scale, respectively, foes the franchises can bring to the table) hurts the Marvelverse more than Spider-man.

How? Unnecessary and in this case snide litigation is not something known to bring friends closer together, is it?

And yeah, I agree with Shryke. Imo the absence of the FF and the X-Men (and in particular their cosmic- and world-scale, respectively, foes the franchises can bring to the table) hurts the Marvelverse more than Spider-man.

The X-Men and mutants are a headache the MCU doesn't need. Too much shit, too many powers flying around, just gets overloaded.

I don't think they'll reboot so soon. They can just have another guy wear the Iron Man armor (Favreau needs to start losing some weight) and Bucky can take over as the Captain.

I agree it's far too risky to lose the built-in fanbase. I've said it before but all they need to do is swap out the characters playing the roles that can be changed (which from the comics can be Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Hulk) and Captain America is clearly being set up for this. Do a couple of films with the different character as the Hero then revert back to the Tony Starks, etc but with new actors.

The X-Men and mutants are a headache the MCU doesn't need. Too much shit, too many powers flying around, just gets overloaded.

Marvel clearly think it's shit worth having as they've introduced exactly the same problem by introducing the Inhumans in what is the most blatant attempt of "we want our X-men". I do agree that it takes away the uniqueness of powers we've seen in the MCU so far. It would be like Iron Man's tech going on the free market and all the heroes being variations on that armour.

I agree it's far too risky to lose the built-in fanbase. I've said it before but all they need to do is swap out the characters playing the roles that can be changed (which from the comics can be Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Hulk) and Captain America is clearly being set up for this. Do a couple of films with the different character as the Hero then revert back to the Tony Starks, etc but with new actors.

Marvel clearly think it's shit worth having as they've introduced exactly the same problem by introducing the Inhumans in what is the most blatant attempt of "we want our X-men". I do agree that it takes away the uniqueness of powers we've seen in the MCU so far. It would be like Iron Man's tech going on the free market and all the heroes being variations on that armour.

I think the Inhumans as an idea are more controllable though. They can be more limited in scope.

The Inhumans are mostly confined to their own little community right? And seeing as they're pretty much brand new, Marvel can keep them under control as much as they need. And certainly Marvel doesn't need two mass superhero groups, so now that they've got the Inhumans they don't need the X-men.

Speaking of the X-men, I wonder about their future in the comics. From what I've heard they've been downplaying the X-men ever since the MCU, to focus more sales on the Avengers, and they cancelled the FF in a move that may have been at least partially motivated by the film rivalries. With the new reboot of the Comic Universe, do you think we might see a disbanding of the X-men, simply keeping around the more iconic characters like Wolverine?

I think the Inhumans as an idea are more controllable though. They can be more limited in scope.

Not when they've turned them into the most populous group of "mutants" or "supers" in the comics. And you can bet that's exactly the type they'll be going for in the MCU. Besides them maybe having a longer heritage (having existed for hundreds of years) than the mutants - we can treat the inhumans as the X-men in the MCU. I heard they may be developed in SHIELD but I've yet to see season 2 so can't comment on how they are appearing there.

I do know from the recent comic version the focus is very much on people discovering they now have inhuman powers and are being collected into factions by the Inhuman royal family most comic fans are more familiar with. As a film, I'd be shocked if the POV wasn't a young person (probably a white man...) who discovers he's got powers and then maybe encounters black bolt. medusa and co. I really hope the classic inhumans show up in the film.

The Inhumans are mostly confined to their own little community right? And seeing as they're pretty much brand new, Marvel can keep them under control as much as they need. And certainly Marvel doesn't need two mass superhero groups, so now that they've got the Inhumans they don't need the X-men.

Speaking of the X-men, I wonder about their future in the comics. From what I've heard they've been downplaying the X-men ever since the MCU, to focus more sales on the Avengers, and they cancelled the FF in a move that may have been at least partially motivated by the film rivalries. With the new reboot of the Comic Universe, do you think we might see a disbanding of the X-men, simply keeping around the more iconic characters like Wolverine?

This has been discussed a lot over in the comic forum. In summary, they are trying to sideline the X-men but they aren't so stupid as to destroy one of their most consistent strong selling range of titles. Some of it is simple in that they take the favourite X-men and stick them in Avengers teams but they really want comic readers to accept the Inhumans as the "mutants" of comics. It isn't really working as comic readers are a traditional obstinate bunch who like the status quo.

They did have far more success with making the Avengers books more successful though and on superior footing to the X-men. Basically the x-men are rarely invited to marvel "events" unless they are pseudo-villains/whipping boys.

It's a problem with the franchises belonging to different studios though - amplified by the fact that one of the studios now owns all the comic IP. I can understand their reluctance to showcase the X-men. Luckily for the X-men their fanbase and brand recognition makes it impossible. It's not quite so clear for the Fantastic Four who rarely sell well and the rumour is that their comic is being shelved for the duration of the FF film build up and release on the ground they don't want to promote the film.

I somehow forgot to watch the Incredible Hulk when I recently re-watched all these movies. So I just finished it. New York has had a rough couple of years in the MCU. I wonder if they'll ever bring up Betty Ross again. I totally forgot they created the Leader in this movie. Poor dude has just been hanging around with nothing to do since they won't make another Hulk movie. They should use him on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or something. Also Micheal K. Williams was in the movie for about three seconds!

I somehow forgot to watch the Incredible Hulk when I recently re-watched all these movies. So I just finished it. New York has had a rough couple of years in the MCU. I wonder if they'll ever bring up Betty Ross again. I totally forgot they created the Leader in this movie. Poor dude has just been hanging around with nothing to do since they won't make another Hulk movie. They should use him on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or something. Also Micheal K. Williams was in the movie for about three seconds!

It's the one MCU film I've never seen again. Which is odd as it isn't my least favourite Marvel film. It would be cool to see some of those characters pop up in TV. I certainly hope Thunderbolt Ross will turn up again somewhere (although I have a feeling he already has/ it has been announced?)

Not when they've turned them into the most populous group of "mutants" or "supers" in the comics. And you can bet that's exactly the type they'll be going for in the MCU. Besides them maybe having a longer heritage (having existed for hundreds of years) than the mutants - we can treat the inhumans as the X-men in the MCU. I heard they may be developed in SHIELD but I've yet to see season 2 so can't comment on how they are appearing there.

I do know from the recent comic version the focus is very much on people discovering they now have inhuman powers and are being collected into factions by the Inhuman royal family most comic fans are more familiar with. As a film, I'd be shocked if the POV wasn't a young person (probably a white man...) who discovers he's got powers and then maybe encounters black bolt. medusa and co. I really hope the classic inhumans show up in the film.

Why?

Why?

Because the comics have been reflecting the movies for a while eg Guardians of the Galaxy. That and I'm sure there's a quote somewhere from the MCU bigwigs saying "we'll make it our X-men" - although maybe I'm imagining it.

This is the closest quote I can find - I've highlighted the part in question.

KF: “Inhumans is cool, they’re really great characters. The most powerful guy is the king who doesn’t say a word and if he does — lookout. That’s awesome. And the notion of the Terrigen Mists, this notion that you go through and don’t know what you’re going to be on the other side, is incredibly compelling dramatically. [However] all the craziness that comes with Inhumans, we’ve done in the other movies already. But this would have some of the social drama that we haven’t really done yet. [Fox’s] X-Men, obviously, has been touching on that stuff for a while.” Hmmm…. could Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver be products of the Terrigen Mist instead of actual mutants in The Avengers 2?

EDIT: The current season of SHIELD

also appears to be following the current comics which again is clearly an attempt to make Inhumans mutants on a massive worldwide scale where regular people become inhuman and not the classic version of Inhumans.

It's the one MCU film I've never seen again. Which is odd as it isn't my least favourite Marvel film. It would be cool to see some of those characters pop up in TV. I certainly hope Thunderbolt Ross will turn up again somewhere (although I have a feeling he already has/ it has been announced?)

It's been rumored he'll be in Civil War.

It's weird thinking back to that now that we have this dominating juggernaut of a Cinematic Universe.......back then, it was just a curiosity that it had this scene with SLJ and it didn't really feel like the same thing. My brain still rebels at the notion that that all occurred in Avengers Land, I guess not aided by the recast of Norton. It's certainly the least necessary one to watch in the MCU.

Because the comics have been reflecting the movies for a while eg Guardians of the Galaxy. That and I'm sure there's a quote somewhere from the MCU bigwigs saying "we'll make it our X-men" - although maybe I'm imagining it.

This is the closest quote I can find - I've highlighted the part in question.

KF: “Inhumans is cool, they’re really great characters. The most powerful guy is the king who doesn’t say a word and if he does — lookout. That’s awesome. And the notion of the Terrigen Mists, this notion that you go through and don’t know what you’re going to be on the other side, is incredibly compelling dramatically. [However] all the craziness that comes with Inhumans, we’ve done in the other movies already. But this would have some of the social drama that we haven’t really done yet. [Fox’s] X-Men, obviously, has been touching on that stuff for a while.” Hmmm…. could Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver be products of the Terrigen Mist instead of actual mutants in The Avengers 2?

Yes, the comics have been reflecting the movies, not the other way around. And that's a really old quote.

I've no doubt they want to basically redo the X-Men with the Inhumans but I'm thinking that unless they wanna go really crazy with the MCU, they are gonna keep it alot more contained.

It's been rumored he'll be in Civil War.

That's it :)

Yes, the comics have been reflecting the movies, not the other way around. And that's a really old quote.

I've no doubt they want to basically redo the X-Men with the Inhumans but I'm thinking that unless they wanna go really crazy with the MCU, they are gonna keep it alot more contained.

There's quite a lot of evidence that the comics start aligning to the films before the films come out - although it's clear the change is MCU based. Most recently this can be seen in Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver no longer having Magneto as a dad and not being mutants. There's no way that's something the comics decided to do for fun. Then there's the new Inhumans comic and you really have to ask why the comics need a version of mutants when they already have them.

I agree that they'd be crazy to swamp the MCU with Inhumans so that everyone has a super power and 50% of their movies are Inhumans based. You'd hope they'd learn learn from the mistakes of the comics. I'm also holding out that we see Blackbolt and co in the Inhumans film and that the "mutants" are something SHIELD and Civil War play with.

Archived