If Robert B. had commanded them, would the lords of the Vale have joined him?

Ser Arthur Hightower

We see in the War of The Five Kings that many of the Valemen, primarily Bronze Yohn, are eager to fight the Lannisters, but are prevented from doing so by Lysa, who commands them to keep their swords in the Vale.

However they are only motivated to fight in the first place by dislike for the Lannisters and respect for Ned, alongside the desire simply not to sit out of a major war. If an external figure who's authority none of the vale lords questioned had commanded the vale to march to war: IE Robert if the boar didn't kill him, would the lords have obeyed Robert or Lysa.

Personally I think most of the valemen would have ignored Lysa and fought alongside Robert' being that Lysa was only ruling through marriage and the fact that the lords of the vale knew Robert and had fought besides him previously.

Robert v Robb isn't valid, because Robb had authority over Vale lords to summon them, while Robert, as their King, has. Also, Vale men aren't motivated solely by their dislike for Lannisters, actually the said dislike isn't that potent, but because Cat accused Tyrion of killing Jon Arryn and most of them believe that Lannisters did kill Jon Arryn.

But who would they have fought if Robert hadn't died?

If Robert hadn't died the War of the Five Kings wouldn't have happened!

The fighting had started before Robert had died, had Ned told him about the twincest he would have gone to war against Tywin (most likely). I wasn't specifying a scenario though, the question was would they come.

The fighting had started before Robert had died, had Ned told him about the twincest he would have gone to war against Tywin (most likely). I wasn't specifying a scenario though, the question was would they come.

Tywin sent groups into the Riverlands to make trouble since Catlyn's father ruled them. In your scenario though I see the Vale following Robert. They have a strong connection through Jon Arryn. The Lannisters would have been shamed etc.

Tywin sent groups into the Riverlands to make trouble since Catlyn's father ruled them. In your scenario though I see the Vale following Robert. They have a strong connection through Jon Arryn. The Lannisters would have been shamed etc.

Tywin was rather slick about his actions. He had a recognizable figure like the Mountain lead his raiding parties under no banner to attack the Riverlands. When the Tullys rally to the Golden Tooth, the Lannisters then cited that as the first act of aggression and attacked since it was their territory. Then maintained plausible deniablity about the Mountain's actions.

If Robert didn't die, and Robert rallied the whole realm against the Lannisters all Tywin would end up doing is saying he was defending himself against Tully aggression, and that he had nothing to do with Gregor and sell him out.

Tywin was rather slick about his actions. He had a recognizable figure like the Mountain lead his raiding parties under no banner to attack the Riverlands. When the Tullys rally to the Golden Tooth, the Lannisters then cited that as the first act of aggression and attacked since it was their territory. Then maintained plausible deniablity about the Mountain's actions.

If Robert didn't die, and Robert rallied the whole realm against the Lannisters all Tywin would end up doing is saying he was defending himself against Tully aggression, and that he had nothing to do with Gregor and sell him out.

That's right I forgot the no banners :bang:

Archived