Why no love between Robert and Stannis?

Synthetic CDO Love

Is there anything specific mentioned on why Robert didn't care much for Stannis? It seems like Stannis carries a major grudge against Robert for not having a better relationship with him. Was Stannis just too much of a square for Robert? Is that why Stannis resented Ned so much, as they both seem kind of on the square side, and yet Robert cared so much for Ned.

Or is the onus on Stannis, what with his prickly personality and all?

Stannis is an introvert. Robert couldn't be more the opposite.

I suppose that just as Robert decided to "cope" with his parents death by drinking and whoring, Stannis made himself an armour of rightfulness. Stannis could have taken Robert's attitude as indifference while Robert thought Stannis was nothing but a prick.

Stannis was just dour and strictly moral as opposed to Robert's carefree and lothario nature.

Frankly I maintain that Robert's undoing was not loving or trusting his brothers. Stannis could have saved Westeros from the War of the Five Kings if he'd been able to confide in Robert the suspicions he had of Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella's parentage.

Yes, Stannis seems to be a blacksheep or stag^^ of Baratheons, since for example Robert, Renly and Lyonel seemed to be good-humored guys who were loved by their people.

Also Stannis held the Baratheon's castle Storm's End while Robert was making war and when Robert became king he gave Storm's End to Renly, and Dragonstone to Stannis what made the latter really angry. Also if I remember well then after Ned broke the "siege" of Storm's End the people told that Ned saved the castle, while they didn't talk much about how Stannis defended it without food.

Because Rob saw his younger brother as a misery guts where as Stannis saw his elder as a brash fool. The tragedy is that between them, is the perfect ruler.
It's not difficult to see either side of the argument.

Stannis sits and grinds his teeth whilst Robert would leap up and kick down doors.
Stannis would put his enemies to rights where as Robert just went and forgave everybody.
Stannis wont suffer a fool but Robert loves a good laugh.
Nobody had love for Stannis, yet people adored his elder and younger brother.
Stannis is righteous (tries to be), Robert is not (not bothered). No need to argue over which shade of grey they are.
Stannis would take council meetings seriously, Robert had other plans. Hunting, whoring etc.
Stannis has the mind for battle, Robert has the voice of a king. And a big hammer.

Stannis and Robert didn't hate each other as much as people let on. Robert gave both his brothers Lordly seats, he didn't have to. Robert was raised away from his brothers with Jon Arryn. Renly was a baby and Stannis was much different to Robert. I wish we had seen more of Robert with his brothers.

On Stannis' part I think he idolises his big brother. He wanted to be like him. He wanted to be the hero who barges in and saves the day. On some level I think he wants affection, having lost his parents so young. He resents that Ned has the relationship he wanted with Robert. When he explains his claim to the throne he rages about how Cersei cheated on Robert, he went with Jon Arryn and investigated all his nieces and nephews. He wasn't expecting Robert to die. What was in it for him? Robert gets a new wife and new children, Stannis loves Robert more than he lets on and I think the death of Renly will torture him before he dies. I think Stannis' whole family will be destroyed and he will be the main cause of it with his faith in Mel.

The two men are completely different to each other. Robert is carefree, easy to laugh and loves pleasures in life (food,drink and sex), Stannis is the complete opposite of that, cold, sour humorless and devoted to duty rather than to pleasure. Just that difference alone will strain the Robert Stannis relationship. Add to that Stannis being "cheated" of Storm's End and his jealousy towards Ned, Robert's "third brother", and it makes sense why those two don't like each other

On Stannis' part I think he idolises his big brother. He wanted to be like him. He wanted to be the hero who barges in and saves the day. On some level I think he wants affection, having lost his parents so young. He resents that Ned has the relationship he wanted with Robert. When he explains his claim to the throne he rages about how Cersei cheated on Robert, he went with Jon Arryn and investigated all his nieces and nephews. He wasn't expecting Robert to die. What was in it for him? Robert gets a new wife and new children, Stannis loves Robert more than he lets on and I think the death of Renly will torture him before he dies. I think Stannis' whole family will be destroyed and he will be the main cause of it with his faith in Mel.

This is so true as well. Behind the iron, maybe there is a little boy who just wants to be loved. A middle child starved of attention. This does explain his resentment of Ned. IMO Stannis is a really really interesting and complex character. It would be good if we find out more of his emotional side.

Robert was a deeply flawed man with few morals and Stannis seems pretty much incapable of love.

Not really, Stannis stopped his nephew from being sacrificed by Melissandre. Sure he may have gotten Renly killed, but if I remember correctly, could be wrong though Stannis felt & looked worse than usual.

Stannis is probably one of the few characters I've been indifferent to, I do feel he is the rightful heir to the Throne by legality seeing as the Targaryens were overthrown & there's a bastard (or two) that's been on throne. Other than that I have no love like the fans do, nor the hate like, well the people who don't like him do.

His relationship isn't very good with his brothers, he feels their both a bit spoilt. He cares for them, but he feels like they don't listen, which makes him bitter towards both of them. He seems cold and unlikeable, but that's because he's had an unpleasant set of circumstances that have had an effect on what he's become.

It could have to do with the demise of their parents. Bob might not be one for responsibility. Maybe Stannis wanted a father figure, but Bob had other plans

Stan isn't one to forget a slight, real or imagined. Maybe discord is just what the plot needed /shrug

Archived