What was Robert & Renly's relationship like?

Ocelot

We hear a fair amount about Robert's relationship with Stannis, but not much about his relationship with Renly. If I remember, as a child Renly looked up to Robert as a cool, much older brother, while what we see of adult Renly in GoT suggests he has a realistically low estimation of Robert's fitness as a king and is plotting with the Tyrells to try and break the Lannisters' hold over his brother and the Seven Kingdoms. We don't really know, however, how Robert and Renly actually felt about each other on a human level. Did they love each other? Jaime says that Robert can barely stand his brothers, plural, meaning Renly as well as Stannis, but Robert & Renly's relationship doesn't seem that bad, even if not outwardly warm. Did they love each other and not show it, were they indifferent towards each other, or were they hostile towards each other? Any thoughts?

I would argue that Renly is perhaps the most successful courtier in KL.That's why he had the biggest host at one point. After Robert dies, people follow Renly because they like him. Robert once had a talent for making friends with his Lords Bannermen, but by the time we see him he seems more focused on the drinking and whoring part of feasting, rather than making contacts and keeping them happy.

So, Stannis got Dragonstone and Renly got the Stormlands because Renly was more fun to hang out with. I used to think that Robert and Renly's different sexualities might have caused tension between them, but when Robert dies, Renly is there after almost everyone else is gone.

. Also, did Robert know that Renly was gay?

That's a very good question.

Personally I think Robert may have heard rumours through the grapevine, but didn't bother to see if they were true or not. He likely wouldn't care about his brothers' sex lives. Especially given how he soiled Stannis' wedding bed with a one-night-stand.

I would argue that Renly is perhaps the most successful courtier in KL.That's why he had the biggest host at one point. After Robert dies, people follow Renly because they like him. Robert once had a talent for making friends with his Lords Bannermen, but by the time we see him he seems more focused on the drinking and whoring part of feasting, rather than making contacts and keeping them happy.

So, Stannis got Dragonstone and Renly got the Stormlands because Renly was more fun to hang out with. I used to think that Robert and Renly's different sexualities might have caused tension between them, but when Robert dies, Renly is there after almost everyone else is gone.

I think the cause and effect is actually kind of reversed.

Renly has so many supporters, in part, because he's the Lord of the Stormlands.

So he starts with a massive army and powerbase.

He can build on that, too.

I think the cause and effect is actually kind of reversed.

Renly has so many supporters, in part, because he's the Lord of the Stormlands.

So he starts with a massive army and powerbase.

He can build on that, too.

When Renly and Stannis both named themselves King, the vast majority of Stormlords declared for Renly despite the clear lapse in tradition. That's Renly's charisma. But the Stormlands are small potatoes compared to the Reach where the bulk of Renly's strength came from. He got those swords by charming Loras and Mace.

Second: We discussed whether Robert loved his brother Renly or not. Haaruk thought so, while I never envisioned their relationship as more than lukewarm. (Jaime said Robert hardly could stomach his brothers (plural form)). Which is correct?

There are many different kinds of love. Robert was dutiful toward his brothers, and no doubt loved them in a way... but he didn't necessarily like them. His relations with Stannis were always prickly. Renly was the baby of the family, and spent little time in Robert's company until he was old enough to come to court. I suspect Robert was fond of the boy, but not especially close to him.

Archived