King Roberts Bastards

Meekylarsson

Hey!

Long time follower of the forum, first time poster! First off let me wish everyone a merry Christmas and I hope Sansa was good to you all! Sorry, I meant Santa :)

On to more pressing matters,

I would like to hear your thoughts on Robert of the house barratheons bastards.

I admittedly only started reading the books after watching the show *holds head in shame* but have always wondered...

What will be the ending to edric storm or gendrys arc? When I started reading the books I was convinced they would have a big say in the end but now I am starting to wonder....

What do you think they will bring to the last 2(?) books?

My feelings now is that they will have no major impact.

If they were going to have a major impact they would have featured highly in the last 2 books. If tommen and myrcella are Jamie's then wouldn't Roberts predecessor be his first born bastard? Wouldn't he get preference to be on the iron throne over stannis? I'm not sure of westerosi laws so genuinely asking. I always thought if that was the case then they would feature a lot more.

Thanks!

M x

Ok, thanks! I wasn't sure on that. That being said, if he was going I be legitamized surely he would have been more prominent?! Which makes me think that he won't have a major impact.

George originally envisioned this as a trilogy but he's gradually made the books seven different kingdoms and dynastic problems.

Edric Storm picking up the pieces for the Baratheon Dynasty is likely because George is taking the position that EVERY kingdom will have an heir or two left over.

George originally envisioned this as a trilogy but he's gradually made the books seven different kingdoms and dynastic problems.

Edric Storm picking up the pieces for the Baratheon Dynasty is likely because George is taking the position that EVERY kingdom will have an heir or two left over.

Ok, I get that! Most kings are slags and put heir selves about (pun intended) so odds say there will be a bastard or two but I don't know if it's just me being a Robert barratheon fanboy but I fell in love with the idea of one of his sons rising to prominence!

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, an unlegitimized bastard can inherit if there's no other heir (sorta like how Rolland Storm is pushing his claim on Nightson). So Robert's bastards could have a claim to the throne if Stannis and Shireen die, I think

As to the OP, I really have no idea of what will happen to Gendry or Edric. My guess about the former is that he'll join the 2 halves of Ice, since he probably learned the techniques of working Valyrian steel from Tobho Mott. As to Edric, I've seen people suggest the Golden Company might've captured him and plan to use him to take Storm's End

Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, an unlegitimized bastard can inherit if there's no other heir (sorta like how Rolland Storm is pushing his claim on Nightson). So Robert's bastards could have a claim to the throne if Stannis and Shireen die, I think

As to the OP, I really have no idea of what will happen to Gendry or Edric. My guess about the former is that he'll join the 2 halves of Ice, since he probably learned the techniques of working Valyrian steel from Tobho Mott. As to Edric, I've seen people suggest the Golden Company might've captured him and plan to use him to take Storm's End

Thanks mate! Guess I'll be supporting lord bolton temporarily then *jokes*

Admittedly, I've only read the series the one time, however, from reading the forums I totally get the grrm foreshadowing! Will take another few reads before I click on to it (plenty of time for that until wow!)

If edric or gendry were going to be prominent then surely there would be some foreshadowing??? *queue someone to prove me wrong (hopefully)*

:)

If edric or gendry were going to be prominent then surely there would be some foreshadowing??? *queue someone to prove me wrong (hopefully)*

There is foreshadowing.

It's just it's drowned out by the hundreds of other characters.

And basically because House Baratheon was founded by a bastard, I foresee it becoming a bastard's house again.

GRRM initially wrote plenty of chapters that featured a 5 year gap, but scrapped all of them in the end.

In the official timeline (OT) Gendry is 16, so with a 5 year gap, he would have been 21. 5 years of combat action as a KNIGHT with the Brotherhood without Banners.

Gendry would have become a fearsome warrior and the spitting image of his father. Perhaps loyalists would have flocked to him. But alas, it is not to be. Without the 5 year gap, he's only a 16 year old boy with no combat experience, so the fate of a minor character is his.

Archived