"Brandon was too kind to you!"

Mikeygigs

I love what-if threads, and on one of my re-reads of Game of Thrones, I came upon this little scene.

Littlefinger takes Ned to his brothel, where Cat is waiting for him without Ned's knowledge. Littlefinger baits Ned when they arrive, and Ned puts a dagger to Littlefinger's throat.

Ultimately, Littlefinger was saved by Catelyn's prompt arrival, but what if Ned had killed Littlefinger? How would things be different?

Ned just murdered a noble in cold-blood. Not sure about the laws of Westeros, but some kind of punishment is in order. Ned goes to the Wall? Exile? Loses his Handship and has to pay a penalty? What does it have on the greater plot of ASOIAF? Does the War of the 5 Kings happen?

::Addendum::

Even in that scene, I think it was highly unlikely that Ned would have killed Littlefinger even without Catelyn's interference. However, for the purposes of the thread, lets assume Ned was angry and went all the way.

Also, happy holidays from Japan!

However, for the purposes of the thread, lets assume Ned was angry and went all the way.

Happy Holidays!

Safe to say Littlefinger would've promptly lost the game of thrones and would've squealed like a little girl whilst wondering how he could've underestimated the noble Ned Stark. If Ned killed Littlefinger, Ned would disgrace himself and his family. He would still be jailed, but probably shown mercy and sent to the Night's Watch (or exiled?). I'm not familiar what would happen to his successors in that situation but I assume Robb would have a much harder time rallying loyal bannermen.

Also, R + L = J would be much easier to work into the plot. However, the psychological anguish from making such a stupid decision would cripple him and Ned would probably just disappear as a nameless, sad old man. :thumbsup:

edit: actually im not so sure about Ned being jailed. If he killed the lowborn Petyr Baelish while Robert was king.. he'd receive a slap on the wrist. His dishonor would still cripple him though, and Catelyn would probably develop mixed feelings about what to think about him.

No one would care if he had killed Littlefinger. He had no brother, father, army or men to answer for him.

Be that as it may, you can't kill a noble in cold blood and not be punished. Its about the King's Justice more than it is for Littlefinger, specifically.

I don't think Ned would have been killed, but he'd need to be punished. It sets in motion all these other events, really.

Does Robert die so soon? Does the Wot5K even happen? What does Stannis do? What are the effects of a strong North? What does Varys and Illyrio do now that the Kingdoms are not in chaos?

Robert would've gone, "Oh, Ned. Who's gonna count the coins now?", and then he'll shrug and name someone else Master of Coin

Up in the North, people like the Greatjon would find the whole thing highly amusing, and the Lannisters would think, "Shit, better not mess with Stark now"

I doubt that Ned would have faced serious consequences. The story changes greatly of course - no dagger lie, no kidnapping Tyrion, no excuse for Tywin to loose the Mad Dog of War...

WRT to Ned, remember when Jaime attacked him in the street? Three of Ned's men were killed - not nobles but at least Jory had a last name and his uncle was a knight. Ned is left severely injured, by a Kingsguard member over a family issue (not anything in the line of duty or in service to the realm). Jaime flees the city and what does Robert do? He tells Ned to return Tyrion, make amends with the Lannisters, and then he goes hunting. So, yeah, Ned offs LF, Robert keeps on doing what he likes and no justice is served. (not that I personally would want Ned to be punished for that!)

Not true, Ned himself would care.

Oh and Lysa

Yeah, I think Ned would be racked in guilt over this regardless of how much LF deserved it. Especially if Cat ended up catching him doing it. I think he'd confess his crime to Robert and resign his post and brood for the rest of his days in Winterfell despite Robert's pleas that it doesn't matter.

I doubt that Ned would have faced serious consequences. The story changes greatly of course - no dagger lie, no kidnapping Tyrion, no excuse for Tywin to loose the Mad Dog of War...

WRT to Ned, remember when Jaime attacked him in the street? Three of Ned's men were killed - not nobles but at least Jory had a last name and his uncle was a knight. Ned is left severely injured, by a Kingsguard member over a family issue (not anything in the line of duty or in service to the realm). Jaime flees the city and what does Robert do? He tells Ned to return Tyrion, make amends with the Lannisters, and then he goes hunting. So, yeah, Ned offs LF, Robert keeps on doing what he likes and no justice is served. (not that I personally would want Ned to be punished for that!)

The dagger lie had been told already so while some things would change rhat wouldn't

Yeah, I think Ned would be racked in guilt over this regardless of how much LF deserved it. Especially if Cat ended up catching him doing it. I think he'd confess his crime to Robert and resign his post and brood for the rest of his days in Winterfell despite Robert's pleas that it doesn't matter.

Exactly, it doesn't matter if LF was some nobody that no one gave a fuck about. Ned's character isn't going to able to just go about business as usual knowing he killed an unarmed man in cold blood. It might seem extreme but I could even see him willingly taking the black for it.

I love what-if threads, and on one of my re-reads of Game of Thrones, I came upon this little scene.

Littlefinger takes Ned to his brothel, where Cat is waiting for him without Ned's knowledge. Littlefinger baits Ned when they arrive, and Ned puts a dagger to Littlefinger's throat.

Ultimately, Littlefinger was saved by Catelyn's prompt arrival, but what if Ned had killed Littlefinger? How would things be different?

Ned just murdered a noble in cold-blood. Not sure about the laws of Westeros, but some kind of punishment is in order. Ned goes to the Wall? Exile? Loses his Handship and has to pay a penalty? What does it have on the greater plot of ASOIAF? Does the War of the 5 Kings happen?

::Addendum::

Even in that scene, I think it was highly unlikely that Ned would have killed Littlefinger even without Catelyn's interference. However, for the purposes of the thread, lets assume Ned was angry and went all the way.

Also, happy holidays from Japan!

Only in the TV Show does Cat stop him. In the books it was Ser Rodrick

And yet it would have saved his life, and that of his family.

And yet it would have saved his life, and that of his family.

Possibly, the problem with playing what if too far ahead is you can only guess at the consequences. Doubtless Cersei would continue her little quest to consolidate Lannister power and ignite a war at some point. Stannis would eventually make a move at some point as well and Ned could end up very involved in the war if he's forced to call his banners over Robert's "alleged" murder.

Archived