What if Sandor was too late at the Tourney of the Hand?

TimJames

During the second to last joust in the Tourney of the Hand, Ser Loras Tyrell unhorsed Ser Gregor Clegane. He did this partially by riding a mare in heat; not technically cheating but still considered a dick move.

Ser Gregor (over)reacts by taking his sword, decapitating his horse, and taking a swing at Ser Loras. Gregor wanted to kill the guy, but his brother Sandor Clegane stopped him in time by fighting him off. Eventually the King told them to knock it off. Loras declares Sandor the winner of the tourney as a thank-you for keeping Gregor's sword out of his throat.

Say that Sandor is a second too late, and Gregor stabs Loras in the throat and kills him. What would be different?

Despite Gregor being a Lannister bannerman, I'd imagine Gregor would have been arrested. I doubt Tywin could have protested too much since the Tyrell's would be calling for Gregor's head.

The interesting part would be the trial phase. I'd assume Gregor would demand trial by combat and fight himself. Who would fight for the crown? At this point, even Robert has to know he couldn't fight the Mountain, so that would leave the Kingsguard. The best fighter still in his prime in the KG? Jaime.

Things could get interesting.

Any further speculation as to later events would probably star bordering on fanfic, so I'll stop there.

If there was a trial by combat it is possable that his brother Garlan who is regraded as one of the finest swordsmen in the Seven kingdoms would stand for the accusers , the Kingsgaurd seem to only fight when it is a crime by or agaist the royal family now if Renly was accuser then the kingsguard may fight or The Tryells could demand a Trial by Seven since they have no shortage of awesome swordsmen to call upon and would Gregor be able to find six men to stand with him ?(Tywin could comand them he to even push Jamie to fight for Gregor That would be interesting)

Despite Gregor being a Lannister bannerman, I'd imagine Gregor would have been arrested. I doubt Tywin could have protested too much since the Tyrell's would be calling for Gregor's head.

The interesting part would be the trial phase. I'd assume Gregor would demand trial by combat and fight himself. Who would fight for the crown? At this point, even Robert has to know he couldn't fight the Mountain, so that would leave the Kingsguard. The best fighter still in his prime in the KG? Jaime.

Things could get interesting.

Any further speculation as to later events would probably star bordering on fanfic, so I'll stop there.

I think it's pretty obvious who'd want a crack at Gregor in a trial by combat. ;)

I think it's pretty obvious who'd want a crack at Gregor in a trial by combat. ;)

Sandor would be able to get free drinks at any tavern in The Reach or in Dorne. That would probably balance out the social stigma of being a kinslayer.

Why do you think that there would be trial by combat? I always assume that trial by combat apply if they couldn't prove that arrested is guilty without doubt(or at least close to this). If Gregor would kill Loras during tourney in front of king, queen, Hand, etc.,there isn't reason to give him option of trial by combat.

While we're waiting for the next book these threads are fun. Back in the day, Marvel had a regular "What If?" series. Many people enjoyed them.

Some harmless speculation never hurt anybody.

Personally, I'm not sure of the trial by combat rules other than a KG member is supposed to champion the crown (remind me how the Lannisters avoided that for Tyrion's second trial). I don't know if there are different rules for different regions and religions.

Kingsguard Champoion the Crown/queensnems to have been something Cersi raised (with historical backing of the DragonKnight defending his sister) to force Queen Margent to has Ser Boros(who will die) Champion her rather the Lord Garlan (who could cut down the Kettleblack brother at the same time)

these what if threads are silly

I would agree they really should be under some other section of the forums, possibly the games section as not to clutter the "main" one even more.

Y'all are a bunch of sticks in the mud, these threads are fun

While we're waiting for the next book these threads are fun. Back in the day, Marvel had a regular "What If?" series. Many people enjoyed them.

Some harmless speculation never hurt anybody.

Exactly, I love me some alternate Marvel scenarios. Even the relatively recent ones are decent, like the one in Dark Avengers

As to the OP, that's a tricky one. I guess Sandor could volunteer to fight Gregor if the latter chooses a trial by combat

Why do you think that there would be trial by combat? I always assume that trial by combat apply if they couldn't prove that arrested is guilty without doubt(or at least close to this). If Gregor would kill Loras during tourney in front of king, queen, Hand, etc.,there isn't reason to give him option of trial by combat.

Yup I agree. This would have been witnessed by the king himself, the royal family and everyone at the tourney. Robert would immediately rule Gregor guilty and I can't imagine anyone arguing against the King's ruling. I just don't think trial by combat would be an option in this instance.

With that being said, if Gregor is sentenced to death, he would not go down without a fight and would take out a heck of a lot of people in the process.

If Gregor has the gall to kill Loras in front of the whole tourney, then pretty much everyone there except Cersei is against him. He can't fight his way through all those various warriors, whom Robert would obviously call on to restrain and possibly execute the Mountain right there on the spot.

If Robert, in his weakness, listens to Cersei and attempts to spare Gregor, he'll have the whole Reach against him, his own brother, and a lot of people who want justice to be done. Even Tywin would likely sit back and avoid controversy.

From there we can assume that Sandor would be recalled to serve as the new head of House Clegane. And so he's the one who invades the Riverlands and is unavailable to help Sansa or Arya in their respective storylines.

Archived