Strangest Line in the Books

Hour of the Wolf

Joffrey was dead, but if Robb was dead too, what did it matter?

Hey, Arya... remember when Joffrey killed your dad? I get things have changed dramatically but that still doesn't change that fact that the jerk that killed your dad is dead. You don't have to rejoice but it totally does matter Joffrey is dead.

To Paraphrase:

'The babe was Mance's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood.'

I always thought this was really strange. Is Mance really Craster's son?

I think Sam was on some bad voodoo when he thought that up.

To Paraphrase:

'The babe was Mance's son and Craster's grandson, after all. He had none of Sam's craven blood.'

Just like two babies are milk-brothers for sharing a woman's breast, I think it's kinda what he's thinking here. Gilly feeds Mance's baby, and she will take care of him.

I felt the same way until the show put it to music in season 3. Maybe its blasphemy to bring the show-canon into the books, but way they have it put to a melody makes it a lot less jarring. It bugged me so bad on the first read through.

I know right?....

I mean... I know.. I know... oh oh... oh

Somehow changed it from creepy and seemingly out if place, to creepy yet beautiful...

Was it really Shireen's actress who sang it herself? It sounded like it but I never looked it up...

Oh, one time I was flipping through ADwD and I happened on the end of the Daznak's pit chapter, which being read of context sounds like a fifty shades of Daario moment.

"Dany could feel the heat of him between her thighs. Her heart felt as if it were about to burst. Yes, she thought, yes, now, now, do it, do it, take me, take me, FLY!"

Lost my shit.

Hahahahaha!!!

I know right?....

I mean... I know.. I know... oh oh... oh

Somehow changed it from creepy and seemingly out if place, to creepy yet beautiful...

Was it really Shireen's actress who sang it herself? It sounded like it but I never looked it up...

Yes, Kerry Ingram, who plays Shireen, sang it herself. She has actually won a Laurence Olivier award for best actress in a musical (Matilda).

Yes, Kerry Ingram, who plays Shireen, sang it herself. She has actually won a Laurence Olivier award for best actress in a musical (Matilda).

Awesome!!! She really is a beautiful child with a "creepy angelic" voice... I love that while excluding Patchface they included his prophecy IMO a much better way when it comes to TV compared to the books...

Just like two babies are milk-brothers for sharing a woman's breast, I think it's kinda what he's thinking here. Gilly feeds Mance's baby, and she will take care of him.

I wish someone would find the real quote, I'm still at work. Anyway, if you look at it then it's clear Sam is talking about blood relations, not as an adoptive family.

To Paraphrase:

I find this a strange line too. Are you sure on the wording? One of the babes (little Aemon) is truly Mance's son. The other, which was babyswapped (nicknamed Monster) is the son of Gilly, who is Craster's daughter (which would make Craster his father AND grandfather). As such, the baby in question would either be Mance's son or Craster's grandson, but not both. That is, unless Dalla was one of Craster's daughters.Her ancestry is not known, but with one known sister (Val) it does look unlikely.

I find this a strange line too. Are you sure on the wording? One of the babes (little Aemon) is truly Mance's son. The other, which was babyswapped (nicknamed Monster) is the son of Gilly, who is Craster's daughter (which would make Craster his father AND grandfather). As such, the baby in question would either be Mance's son or Craster's grandson, but not both. That is, unless Dalla was one of Craster's daughters.Her ancestry is not known, but with one known sister (Val) it does look unlikely.

It's Mance Rayder's son by birth, but being raised by Gilly as its "mother" so it's Craster's grandson. Just a poorly connected train of thought by our fat genius (Sam that is).

Renly's bragging about his bride's virginity was weird.

"My wife was maid" - so what? That's normal for Westeros.

I mean, ok, he could brag about that to Robert and Jon Arryn, but I bet Stannis found nothing unusual about maiden brides.

A part in Clash, when Catelyn is at the feast with Renly and his men.

*they laugh at the fool and the dwarf*

Lord Rowan beside her did not join the merriment. "They are all so young," he said.

[Cat's observations]"War will make them old," Catelyn said, "as it did us." She had been a girl when Robert and Ned and Jon Arryn raised their banners against Aerys Targaryen, a woman by the time the fighting was done. "I pity them."

"Why?" Lord Rowan asked her. "Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?"

"Because it will not last," Catelyn answered, sadly. "Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming."

At first, it looks like Mathis' comment about the present men is negative, or at least, not good. He sounds like he actually shares Catelyn's views, specially because his comment happens while everybody is partying and laughing and he's not joining them in that. Then, he changes his mind, as though he realised he shouldn't have said that in front of Cat.

I wish someone would find the real quote, I'm still at work. Anyway, if you look at it then it's clear Sam is talking about blood relations, not as an adoptive family.

It's Mance Rayder's son by birth, but being raised by Gilly as its "mother" so it's Craster's grandson. Just a poorly connected train of thought by our fat genius (Sam that is).

Yep, I think that's what Sam meant to say.

• 4 weeks later...

Beric's "Are you my mommy mother, Thoros" moment was weird

Renly's peach and Stannis' musings about it, but i guess it was intented to be tragicomic.

also:

If truth be told, I ofttimes wonder how Stannis ever got that ugly daughter of his.

At first glance, it's just Renly making fun of his brother. But this 'offtimes' - I can't stop picturing Renly sitting at the Small council's meetings and musing melancholically about Stannis's sex life or waking Loras at night to discuss this important matter.

Archived