Jon and his love for Daeron I

King Jon Targaryen I

I know people will say Jon will mostly except his mothers side has a Stark because he was raised a Stark. I think Jon finding out Rhaegar and Lyanna are his parents will identify with his fathers side thru his hero Daeron I. Out of all the Targaryens he seems to be the one he idolizes a lot and I think George is trying to tell us that when Jon has to deal with finding out who he really is will identify with his fathers side to Daeron the Young Dragon. Since he doesn't know what Rhaegar looks like ( I am sure he has a picture of Lyanna and how she looks like) we can assume when trying to identify with his new found side of being a Targ he will probably assume Rhaegar looked like Daeron in Jon's mind.

I understand he was raised a Stark but Jon will still want answers and want to connect with both his mother and especially his biological father he never knew and heard stories about. What would Jon think now of Stannis knowing he's the brother of the man that killed his father? Thats a interesting question but I highly doubt it will have a affect.

The Daeron I quote was less about connecting Jon to the Targs and more about foreshadowing Robbs death and Jons own development (cue Aemons "kill the boy"). I don't think past Targs are gonna play any role on Jon when he learns the truth of his parentage, least of all the childhood idolized one that represents his naivety, and never thinks of again

It's also rather hypocritical of Jon to be mad at Stannis when his father contributed strongly to the death of his father. Robert never would have gotten to the Trident if not for Ned's support.

Ned is as responsible for Rhaegar's death as anyone.

It's also rather hypocritical of Jon to be mad at Stannis when his father contributed strongly to the death of his father. Robert never would have gotten to the Trident if not for Ned's support.

Ned is as responsible for Rhaegar's death as anyone.

With the exception of Robert of course. After all, that war hammer did not bury itself in Rhaegar's chest. :lol:

It will take a while for the truth of it to sink in for Jon. He may be in denial at first...but then as he starts to think through the past, he may remember some very vague, cryptic words that Ned or things that he may have seen Ned do...which only now make sense to him. That last part is pure speculation on my part.

Daeron was able to conquer Dorne because he went over the mistakes of the First Dornish War and revised the 'game plan'. This may be the parallel or the foreshadowing that we're supposed to see. Jon may not find out who he is until he reaches Winterfell after the Wall has fallen to the Others. He may remember what he read about Daeron I and his exploits...which may give Jon some ideas on how to battle the Others and/or their Wights.

But Daeron I died at 18. Currently Jon is 17, IIRC. Hope there are not too many parallels.

I think this is the last time The Young Dragon has been mentioned in Jon's POV:

When Jon had been a boy at Winterfell, his hero had been the Young Dragon, the boy king who had conquered Dorne at the age of fourteen. Despite his bastard birth, or perhaps because of it, Jon Snow had dreamed of leading men to glory just as King Daeron had, of growing up to be a conqueror. Now he was a man grown and the Wall was his, yet all he had were doubts. He could not even seem to conquer those.

It is the end of the chapter where Jon has his epiphany in the weirwood grove, where he understands that his true vocation is to be the shield that guards the realms of men. Guarding and conquering are very different goals. Especially in that context, with his thoughts of the Young Dragon, he seems to say goodbye to boyish dreams of conquest and self-serving glory. He has a man's job to do now and it is difficult enough.

How funny that Jon idolizes the Young Dragon and grew up with the Young Wolf.

Actually both Robb and Jon may have idolized the Young Dragon. Jon remembers Robb shouting, "I'm the Young Dragon" as they were playing knights and heroes as children. In the same memory, Robb also calls out, "I'm Florian the Fool". It is bitterly ironic, as he (Robb) becomes both, in a sense.

The Daeron I quote was less about connecting Jon to the Targs and more about foreshadowing Robbs death and Jons own development (cue Aemons "kill the boy"). I don't think past Targs are gonna play any role on Jon when he learns the truth of his parentage, least of all the childhood idolized one that represents his naivety, and never thinks of again

Well said I'd like to add that Benjen Stark cautions Jon on how impatient his hero Daeron was and reminds him of how young he was

Archived