House Manderly and Lady Dustin in Kings Landing?

PureGold

I was thinking about how ill equipped House Stark was in terms of their stay in Kings Landing. Ned Stark was Warden of one of the largest Kingdoms in Westeros but he was woefully out of touch in terms of intrigue. My question is, do you think Lady Dustin and some of the Manderly's would have fared better going up against the Lannisters and Tyrells in terms of Courtly manuevering?

Lady Dustin seems to have a taste for revenge that rivals Cersei Lannister. She has an understanding of power plays and currents, she's smart enough to know that House Lannister is a "spent force" in terms of military presence. She's instrumental in helping House Bolton maintain as Warden over the North by helping them pass off fake Arya Stark. Could anyone see her going up against Cersei, Margaery or Olenna and coming out ahead?

Also never forget surprise Game Players in House Manderly. Wyman Manderly has managed to discreetly build and assemble a naval force under everyone's nose. He also has an "appetite" for revenge (to say the least), he seems like he would fit in well in Kings Landing in that he knows exactly who is connected to who and how. He knows his Maester has familial connection to House Lannister. He knows his Court Fool is having an affair with one of the Maids in the Frey party and is feeding them information. And his eldest Grand Daughter Wynafred seems to be her Father's right hand in that she pretends to be happy to be betrothed to Rhaegar Frey and defends their actions publicly in the Mermans Court, all the while knowing that Wyman is going to have him and the rest of the Frey party murdered.

Am I wrong in thinking that if these Northern Players had gone to Kings Landing instead of the Starks, House Lannister and House Tyrell would have had their hands full in terms of Courtly Manuevers?

Eddard went lightly protected because Robert was his friend, besides the fact Jon Arryn was murdered, he thought while Robert was alive, nobody would hurt him and his family.

He brought 50 domestic guards with him and part of his household.

Still, I think he should bring someone with him, I would ask Roose Bolton and Howland Reed to go with me if I was Eddard.

Roose can see on schemes everywhere and Howland Reed has the magic factor, he could work as a spy.

Eddard went lightly protected because Robert was his friend, besides the fact Jon Arryn was murdered, he thought while Robert was alive, nobody would hurt him and his family.

He brought 50 domestic guards with him and part of his household.

Still, I think he should bring someone with him, I would ask Roose Bolton and Howland Reed to go with me if I was Eddard.

Roose can see on schemes everywhere and Howland Reed has the magic factor, he could work as a spy.

Roose would be more than happy to get involved in schemes against Ned if the Lannisters are offering more though.

Well remember Ned's 50 were more than any other courtier at the time, IIRC, Renly only had 30, Bronze Yohn, the Redwynes, Loras, Rosby and Stokeworths, Balon Swann and every other nobleman and woman at King's Landing had less than him.

More than 50 would seem like you are bringing a small army to the Red Keep, probably not allowed, also they all have to be housed and fed.

I was thinking about how ill equipped House Stark was in terms of their stay in Kings Landing. Ned Stark was Warden of one of the largest Kingdoms in Westeros but he was woefully out of touch in terms of intrigue. My question is, do you think Lady Dustin and some of the Manderly's would have fared better going up against the Lannisters and Tyrells in terms of Courtly manuevering?

Lady Dustin seems to have a taste for revenge that rivals Cersei Lannister. She has an understanding of power plays and currents, she's smart enough to know that House Lannister is a "spent force" in terms of military presence. She's instrumental in helping House Bolton maintain as Warden over the North by helping them pass off fake Arya Stark. Could anyone see her going up against Cersei, Margaery or Olenna and coming out ahead?

Also never forget surprise Game Players in House Manderly. Wyman Manderly has managed to discreetly build and assemble a naval force under everyone's nose. He also has an "appetite" for revenge (to say the least), he seems like he would fit in well in Kings Landing in that he knows exactly who is connected to who and how. He knows his Maester has familial connection to House Lannister. He knows his Court Fool is having an affair with one of the Maids in the Frey party and is feeding them information. And his eldest Grand Daughter Wynafred seems to be her Father's right hand in that she pretends to be happy to be betrothed to Rhaegar Frey and defends their actions publicly in the Mermans Court, all the while knowing that Wyman is going to have him and the rest of the Frey party murdered.

Am I wrong in thinking that if these Northern Players had gone to Kings Landing instead of the Starks, House Lannister and House Tyrell would have had their hands full in terms of Courtly Manuevers?

No, the author wrote the story for a reason. Ned had to do what he did to die

Archived