What is it about S4 that makes it so much more watchable than S1-3?

JaimetheConciliator

I swear there's something different, but I'm not familiar enough with the in's and out's of TV to know what it is.There are moments that I rewatch from every episode of S3 where I get tired of it and need to fast forward. I get annoyed for a few minutes of an episode because it feels so schematic. Or something.

There are hardly any of these in S4. Can someone with a better knowledge of television structure explain why this might be. Thanks.

In my rewatch I skipped all Dany scenes.

Regret nothing.

I'm pretty hard-pressed to find a single scene in s4 that feels like I would ever want to skip through it.

Beetles anyone? It's not the only scene from the season where I automatically reach for the fast-forward button, but it is the one that immediately springs to mind.

I saw eps. 403 and 404 again today (as part of the rerun of the whole show on HBOCanada) and there was some bad pacing going on in 403. The Arya scenes and Sam ones dragged instead of capitalizing on the momentum of Joff just having died. The Tywin speech to Tommen ran a little long too, I think. It seemed a bit too much like some of the scenes from s1 that were written to pad out the season when it turned out the episodes were running short. Still overall the episode had enough setpieces and good character moments to keep me from cooking during it (when some eps like 202 or 307 are on the telly, I often multitask and make a pasta or rice dish whilst I watch).

I am very fond of ep 404 though. That Night's King business almost gave a stroke when it aired (in a good way, I mean) and rewatching and remembering my initial shock/giddiness at the revelation(/confirmation if you're into Heresy threads) about Craster's babies is always fun.

Not a single episode was boring or forgettable, I never felt that the plot was dragging and there always was something worth rewatching. On the whole I believe the quality of writing improves with every season (except for S2 which was the worst one). However if I cared about faithfulness to the books, my opinion could be different.

I just found these episodes to be really boring, badly paced and badly written.

Can you be more specific?

It's hard to debate when one only has 'really boring', what was boring and why?, 'badly paced' in what way was it badly paced?, badly written in what way?, with no analysis it's just opinion.

I saw eps. 403 and 404 again today (as part of the rerun of the whole show on HBOCanada) and there was some bad pacing going on in 403. The Arya scenes and Sam ones dragged instead of capitalizing on the momentum of Joff just having died. The Tywin speech to Tommen ran a little long too, I think. It seemed a bit too much like some of the scenes from s1 that were written to pad out the season when it turned out the episodes were running short. Still overall the episode had enough setpieces and good character moments to keep me from cooking during it (when some eps like 202 or 307 are on the telly, I often multitask and make a pasta or rice dish whilst I watch).

One thing about sort-of-mundane language scenes or anything that just seems ordinary, it gives a lived-in sense , the show does not have much of it, but a touch is good now and then.

There is a problem I have always had with TV comedy shows (if afflicts drama too) almost every line of dialog has to have a quick comeback or zinger coupled with a laugh track I am put off in 5 seconds even if the lines are clever. Never hear anything like that in everyday life. I don't care if these comedy's are set in an 'alternate universe' puts me off.

A comedy that does not make me laugh out loud every 30 seconds but to smile inwardly at it's cleverness or insight I light up too. The Simpsons can be like that , my favorite is off-the-wall like Monty Python.

Season 4 was the worst season imo. The writing truly went of the deep end here. I'm sick of these huge shockmoments taking the place of carefully crafted characters and subtle storylines.

^Aye. Long gone are the days of writing scenes mid-shoot to make sure the eps. didn't run short. It's a well-oiled machine now and objectively the production values have increased a thousand-fold. While a TV show budget can never REALLY produce the scale of ASOIAF, they're at least approaching it now.

The only truly great scenes that I like to rewatch were a couple of Tyrion's: his speech in the trial and Oberyn declaring that he will be his champion. Fantastic scenes. Everything else - meh. I find this season to be the worst yet.

I'd say season four was the best one if not for the stupid Ironborn vs Ramsay scene.

Don't forget that scene where Jaime does something that rhyms with ape to Cersei. That was a brilliant addition.

That last sentence was of course sarcasm. Just clarifying, for those who weren't tipped off by the Comic Sans MS

Archived