January 2015 Reading Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

Finished City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett . Overall, a very good read ,def. in my 2014 Top 10 SFF books.Impatiently waiting for the sequel !

Started reading Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica,the first book in her portal fantasy series: Hidden Sea Tales.

I don't normally like portal fantasies but i'm really liking this one.Thanks Maester Llama for the rec. :)

Well, here in the real world it's still December. :P

I'm still making a half-assed attempt to read Autobiography of a Yogi. It is still ridiculous and in no way helping to relieve my existential malaise.

Read the first chapter of The Light Between Oceans. Interesting set-up, looking forward to getting into it. If I don't get some really enjoyable contemporary/literary novels soon, I may abandon this whole attempt to broaden my horizons...

I finished the year with the excellent City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. I loved it as much as everyone said I would, and that's a good way to end the year.

I'm going to start the new one with The Martian, by Andy Weir.

Just finished The magicians nephew, which was a fun read but maybe a little too much black/white-ish for me, with Aslan being pretty much Jesus/god and the witch the devil, but it was ok by all means and I'm now making my way into the second book of Narnia, the book which I'm least looking forward to, The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. The only reason that I'm not very psyched about it is that it's the most famous of the books, and I've read it when I was younger and also remember the movie pretty well, so I basically know the story. But I want to read it since I'm doing the whole series, so I'll try to enjoy the cosy little fairytale. :)

I was hoping to finish the Farseer trilogy in 2014, but came up just short with around 100 pages left in Assassin's Quest. I've loved these books so much, but I'm thinking I'll take a break and read something from a different genre before continuing on with Hobb's other series.

Just over halfway through Misery, great read so far.

The Stephen King 'Misery'? If so, I agree. Excellent book.

I just finished 'Mr. Mercedes' by Stephen King, it wasn't bad actually. I liked it a lot better than the last King book I read, 'Doctor Sleep'.

Just started 'A Game of Thrones' last night for the 4th time, still as great as ever.

The Stephen King 'Misery'? If so, I agree. Excellent book.

I just finished 'Mr. Mercedes' by Stephen King, it wasn't bad actually. I liked it a lot better than the last King book I read, 'Doctor Sleep'.

Just started 'A Game of Thrones' last night for the 4th time, still as great as ever.

Yep. I've been reading a lot of King since I read The Stand half a year ago, it was my first King book and I was in love with it.

I was hoping to finish the Farseer trilogy in 2014, but came up just short with around 100 pages left in Assassin's Quest. I've loved these books so much, but I'm thinking I'll take a break and read something from a different genre before continuing on with Hobb's other series.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend reading all of Hobb's stuff in one go. They can be dreadfully depressing. :p I'll jump in before anyone rlse and say that Liveships is worth the read.

I finished The Minaturist this afternoon. I definitely wasn't impressed. It was one of those books where I was just waiting to be finished so I could move on to something else.

I'm not sure what I'm going to start next. I'm debating either Sharp Objects, or trying to find a Sci-Fi novel to read. I don't usually read sci-fi but I'm trying to read a variety this year, so may have a look for something.

I finished Ben Aaronovitch's Foxglove Summer. I liked it, although I think it helped to know going in that it wasn't going to do much about the events that occurred at the end of Broken Homes. I've always enjoyed the series but a couple of times the main mystery has felt a bit underwhelming, I thought this was one of the better mystery plots even if some of it was a bit predictable and the ending possibly felt a little bit rushed. It was nice to see Peter out of his metropolitan comfort zone, I do like seeing London through Peter's eyes but his reactions to rural Herefordshire were amusing. I thought Dominic was a good sidekick although he did seem a bit too blase about the whole magic thing.

I've got a long train ride tomorrow so I should get a significant distance into Claire North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

I started the new year with City of Glass, I'm not really thrilled with the Mortal Instruments books but I want to see how the first trilogy ends since I invested the time to read the first two books.

I'm going to get back into reading The Poetry of Robert Frost, I'm halfway through North of Boston (all of Frost's work is in published order except for the last two pieces in the collection) and will be reading a few pages every night until through all 521 pages (currently on page 62). After finishing Frost, I'm going to read some T.S. Eliot.

i ended the year with blood song by anthony ryan. it was a nice surprise and certainly in the conversation for best book i read last year. currently i am reading guns of avalon by RZ and the ace of skulls by chris wooding. both are good in the way you'd expect them to be. i'm sad that i will be losing the crew of the ketty jay after this story so i may give the braided path by wooding a shot next...just to see if the magic crosses over to a different type of story.

I finished the year with the excellent City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. I loved it as much as everyone said I would, and that's a good way to end the year.

I'm going to start the new one with The Martian, by Andy Weir.

i checked out city of stairs because you said you loved it and had to buy it. looking forward to reading it. thank you so much for the endorsement! :cheers:

Trying to get my shit together, something I hoped to do before 2015, but who's counting. I was working through The Theoretical Minimum a year ago but got too busy for sitting down with the math and didn't get back on the wagon. Started Up In the Old Hotel a month ago and abandoned it to read my book club book and didn't get back on the wagon. Temporarily put down Vellum to read this month's book club book. And started Haft Paykar but finding it hard to read much at a time, especially the parts praising Allah, Muhammad and the king, just bc they're so obsequious and repetitive.

For book club this month, Ellison's Invisible Man. Started very compelling, but the style to put us in the head of the narrator where we only know as much as he does is getting me impatient in the second half.

Finished the year with Martin Lawrence's Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns and now onto the final book of the Broken Empire Trilogy...Emperor of Thorns.

I didn't actually think I would end up enjoying this trilogy as much as I have, given the infamous and aptly hideous nature of the main character Jorg.

Finished The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland today. Another great book, she seems to be consistently good.

I received my first two review books of the year: Firefight by Brandon Sanderson, and Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver. I'll start one of those tonight.

Archived