Small Questions v.10094

Jon Weirgaryen

Small Questions threads of the past:

A Thread for Small Questions 08-02-09 (ISO8601 thread start YY-MM-DD)

A Thread for Small Questions II 09-12-27

A Thread for Small Questions III 10-05-19

A Thread for Small Questions IV 10-09-01

A Thread for Small Questions V 10-11-22

A Thread for Small Questions VI 11-02-10

A Thread for Small Questions VII 11-04-11

A Thread for Small Questions VIII 11-05-19

A Thread for Small Questions IX 11-06-13

A Thread for Small Questions X 11-07-01

A Thread for Small Questions XI 11-07-28

[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions (ADwD I) 11-07-31

Small Questions on ADwD II (ADwD II) 11-08-24

Small Questions XII 11-10-10

A Thread for Small Questions XII 11-10-10

Small Questions for ADwD III (ADwD III) 11-11-11

A Thread for Small Questions XIII 11-12-13

A Thread for Small Questions XIV 12-02-04

Small Questions for ADwD IV (ADwD IV) 12-03-09

A Thread for Small Questions XV 12-03-11

A Thread for Small Questions XVI 12-04-09

A Thread for Small Questions XVII 12-05-01

A Thread for Small Questions XVIII 12-05-29

A Thread for Small Questions XIX 12-06-23

A Thread for Small Questions XX 12-07-15

A Thread for Small Questions XXI 12-08-01

The thread for small questions, version XXI 12-08-01

Thread for Small Questions v. xxii 12-08-14

Again With the Small Questions 12-09-04

More Small Questions, Really? 12-10-12

This Small Question Thing 12-11-06

Small Questions v.10000 (1000 zero) 13-01-01

Small Questions v.10001 (1000 one) 13-01-20

Small Questions v.10002 (1000 two) 13-02-01

Small Questions for ADwD, v.V. (ADwD V) 13-02-10 still running

Small Questions v.10003 (1000 three) 12-02-25

Small Questions v.10004 (1000 four)

Small Questions v.10005 (1000 five)

Small Questions v.10006 (1000 six)

Small Questions v.10007 (1000 seven)

Small Questions v.10008 (1000 eight)

Small Questions v.10009 (1000 nine)

Small Questions v.10010 (100 ten)

Small Questions v.10011 (100 eleven)

Small Questions v.10012 (100 twelve)

{version number jumps one for obscure reasons}

Small Questions v.10014 (100 fourteen)

Small Questions v.10015 (100 fifteen)

Small Questions v.10016 (100 sixteen)

Small Questions v.10017 (100 seventeen)

Small Questions v.10018 (100 eightteen)

Small Questions v.10019 (100 nineteen)

Small Questions v.10020 (100 twenty)

Small Questions v.10021 (100 twenty-One)

Small Questions v.10022 (100 twenty-two)

Small Questions v.10023 (100 twenty-three)

Small Questions v.10024 (100 twenty-four)

Small Questions v.10025 (100 twenty-five)

Small Questions v.10026 (100 twenty-six)

Small Questions v.10027 (100 twenty-seven)

{version number jumps 50 for obscure reasons}

Small Questions v.10078 (100 seventy-eight)

Small Questions v.10079 (100 seventy-Ĺ„ine)

Small Questions v.10080 (100 eighty)

Small Questions v.10081 (100 eighty-one)

Small Questions v.10082 (100 eighty-two)

Small Questions v.10083 (100 eighty-three)

Small Questions v.10084 (100 eighty-four)

Small Questions v.10085 (100 eighty-five)

Small Questions v.10086 (100 eighty-six)

Small Questions v.10087 (100 eighty-seven)

Small Questions v.10088 (100 eighty-eight)

Small Questions v.10089 (100 eighty-nine)

Small Questions v.10090 (100 ninety)

Small Questions v.10091 (100 ninety-one)

Small Questions v.10092 (100 ninety-two)

Small Questions v.10093 (100 ninety-three)

Carry on.

Was Robert's Rebellion fought in winter?

Winter, spring or summer.. We don't know exactly. Only that 282 AC started with at least a month of harsh winter weather, and that by Daenerys' birth in the 5th or 6th month of 284 AC, it was summer. We don't know exactly how long the winter weather continued in 282 AC, and how long the autumn that followed lasted.

can a shadow assassin kill dragons and White Walkers?

I don't think we know enough about how any of these things work to have any idea. It seems the assassin itself is not the only magical part of the shadow assassin, though, since for example the means by which the shadow assassin kills Renly doesn't seem to be entirely mundane (as his gorget was cut clean through)

I had 2 questions, but as it happens I forgot one.

I'll use an example but whom do lords obey. If Royce's go to war against Arryns, do the Coldwaters follow Royce's, or Arryns by law?

In feudal system they should follow their direct liege lord . However if liege lord fights against his own liege lord ... give me few minutes I'll check ...

I'll use an example but whom do lords obey. If Royce's go to war against Arryns, do the Coldwaters follow Royce's, or Arryns by law?

It is complicated (thesis ... conclusion):

The Royces are sworn to the Arryns and Lord Coldwater likes the Arryns ... he will talk Lord Royce out of it

Lord Coldwater is sworn to the Royces ... they follow the Royces against the Arryns.

Lord Coldwater is sworn to the Arryns ... they follow the Arryns against the Royces.

Lord Coldwater is sworn to the Royces and the Arryns ... they will remain at home or follow the more powerful or the one they are more endebted to.

Lord Coldwater is sworn to the Royces and the Arryns and the king -- they will follow the kings judgement on the Royce =/= Arryn conflict - but that would be difficult to obtain.

Lord Coldwater has a plan of his own ... they will do the above and follow their plan.

That is how I understan feudalism and ASoIaF.

It seems that, generally speaking if A is sworn to B and B is sworn to C, if B and C enter into conflict, A is more likely to side with B. This isn't really universal, though. This speaks to the idea of conflicting loyalties, which is a rather underlying theme to much of the story. Oftentimes other political considerations seem to come into play, though. In one case, we see the Haighs, sworn to the Freys directly, participate in the Red Wedding. We also see Wyman Manderly boast of the other Northern houses that would side with him against the Boltons. On the other hand, we see the Vale and stormlords and riverlords who sided with the Targaryens in Robert's Rebellion, such as the Mootons and Darrys. That later case, of course, is slightly different as they sided with their king rather than simply another lord that their lord was sworn to. Another more complicated example more in line with the latter case are Houses Costayne and Mullendore during the Dance, which were sworn to the Hightowers, but sided with the Blacks rather than the Greens.

So, really, there doesn't seem to be any sort of cut and dry answer. Nor should there be, I don't think, especially when considering the way that conflicting oaths and loyalties seem to be emphasized

How quickly do ravens fly? Or, how fast do you get the message?

Depends on the raven, the weather, etc. And, of course, it depends on how quickly GRRM wants the message to reach its goal.

If it helps.. it takes six nights (five days) for KL to learn that Robb defeated Stafford, on a place located three days riding from Lannisport. We don't know if the ravens were with Staffords army (though that is likely). Take out a map and compare distances a little..

Haha stupid feudalism! Tanks guys.

My second question was this;

Do the men (soldiers) of Great lords follow them to war? Or can great lords call upon their bannermen to provide men? Do Stark men (obviously some do, but not a lot) follow Robb to war, or remain behind as guards, garrisons and protecting the Stark lands? Does Robb go with Stark, Glover no did Bolton men, or just Bolton and Glover men?

Ned takes Stark guards to KL, and the Tyrells do the same with their men, they accompany Olenna to the city. Baratheon and Lannister men guard the King (or queen lol) but whenever they are in the field it is the a Lannister banner flying, but Serret and Swyft men beneath it. Sons and great lords just lead men, but don't have their own men besides a personal guard?

Sorry if that was complicated lol.

Does anyone know why the ravens cover the dead weirwood tree at Raventree? I mean ravens seem to have a special meaning in this story. When Sam and Gilly were in trouble, the ravens all came and filled the weirwood tree before the Other attacked. So, why would so many ravens flock to Raventree? Is there something special about its location or is there something special about that particular tree?

Along the same lines, as far as I know, this is when we discover that dead weirwood trees never rot, they eventually turn into stone. So, I am wondering, is it possible that Winterfell is made from the stone of dead weirwoods?

Winterfell is made of grey and black stones predominantly, while weir woods petrify to be white stone. Sure there might be a few white bricks maybe, but it's not made of it mostly.

Blackwoods are theorised to have skinchanging abilities, so it's not unlikely that ravens choose to roost in their tree for that reason. Also maybe green seers still live in the tree? It might be dead but they can stil see through the tree idk.

That's actually two questions...

Haha stupid feudalism! Tanks guys.
My second question was this;
Do the men (soldiers) of Great lords follow them to war? Or can great lords call upon their bannermen to provide men?

The ones sworn directly to the Overlord will have to follow him into war (... unless there's a different agreement. The medieval city I live in was for example sworn not to do military service, so the lords' calling would be ignored as by the law)

We see that some lords in Westeros circumvent the plight by sending sons or uncles and hiding behind reasons of being too sick to travel and such. They would take a few men, usually a promised number for times of war and a few personal bodyguard...

Do Stark men (obviously some do, but not a lot) follow Robb to war, or remain behind as guards, garrisons and protecting the Stark lands? Does Robb go with Stark, Glover no did Bolton men, or just Bolton and Glover men?

...And a few troops are held back to defend the keeps and the land from whatever may threaten the peace back home. In The North we see that the crannogmen are exempt from war duty for their lord, but charged with defending the Neck. We also see, that some crannogmen join Robb's cause anyway, in search of adventure maybe?

Archived