The Finest Films of 2014

The Killer Snark

The more I think about, Jesus Christ what a great film year 2014 was.

My list would be as follows:

1. Whiplash

2. The Grand Budapest Hotel

3. Interstellar

4. Birdman

5. Nightcrawler

6. Gone Girl

7. Captain America 2

8. Edge of Tomorrow

9. The Theory of Everything

10. Guardians of the Galaxy

11. Boyhood

12. The Imitation Game

• 1 month later...
I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally had the opportunity to see another 2014 film I missed in theatres.

1) Under the Skin

2) Whiplash

3) Calvary

4) Nightcrawler

5) A Most Violent Year

6) Boyhood

7) Edge of Tomorrow

8) Queen and Country

9) Birdman

10) The Guest

11) The Babadook

12) The Grand Budapest Hotel

13) John Wick

14) Begin Again

15) Locke

16) What We Do in the Shadows

17) Blue Ruin

18) 20,000 Days on Earth

19) How to Train Your Dragon II

20) X-Men: DoFP

21) 22 Jump Street

22) The Interview

23) Noah

24) Gone Girl

25) Snowpiercer

26) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

27) Cap 2

28) GoTG

29) The Drop

30) Godzilla

31) The Salvation

32) Interstellar

33) L'inconnu du lac

34) Maleficent

What the hell Veltigar, neither Noah, nor Godzilla belong anywhere near a finest films list. Especially the former. Thought it was absolutely terrible. :P

This is a ranking of all the 2014 movies I have watched from great to terrible :p Since I also saw Noah and Godzilla, I have to include them in this list.

As to Noah itself, I thought it was okayish. Not as great as could have been and the film was kind of a mess, but there were still a lot of interesting ideas in there. Plus I loved Ray Winstone in it, his speech was badass.

John Wick and Grand Budapest are my favorites cause I see myself watching them many times in the future which I wouldn't say for Nightcrawler, Gone Girl, A Most Violent Year, Calvary, Whiplash, and Interstellar (also saw Godzilla which was meh). Your list is a nice reference to have Veltigar. Gonna check out Under the Skin and Edge of Tomorrow sometime soon as well as The Drop (if only for Gandolfini and Hardy)

A bit premature no? :P

We start making the lists and updating them as it goes... Although, with possible exception of ex Machina, all the movies I have seen this year were rather forgettable.

John Wick and Grand Budapest are my favorites cause I see myself watching them many times in the future which I wouldn't say for Nightcrawler, Gone Girl, A Most Violent Year, Calvary, Whiplash, and Interstellar (also saw Godzilla which was meh). Your list is a nice reference to have Veltigar. Gonna check out Under the Skin and Edge of Tomorrow sometime soon as well as The Drop (if only for Gandolfini and Hardy)

You might like to know that John Wick is getting a sequel :)

I'm glad you liked my list. Of the movies that you haven't seen yet I would definitely recommend you to check out Edge of Tomorrow, The Guest and What We Do in the Shadows. Those are a ton of fun and they are supremely rewatchable. Definitely still check out Under the Skin, it was the best film of last year imo. Although it isn't necessarily one you'll rewatch very often (though prepare to watch it at least twice, it's really dense).

Personally, rewatchability is only one of the many things I try to take into account when ranking movies. Otherwise, I would probably have to say that "the Room" is the best film of the previous decade :P Although, my rankings are usually pretty fluid. Over time certain movies can go up or down in the list. For instance, now that you mention it, I'm going to considerably lower Gone Girl. It was a pretty good watch at the time, but it hasn't really stuck with me. I also think GG will be pretty excruciating to sit through on a rewatch.

We start making the lists and updating them as it goes... Although, with possible exception of ex Machina, all the movies I have seen this year were rather forgettable.

Alrighty then, make the thread and I'll certainly drop a comment or two in there :)

Everything I saw, in order, as I like lists...

34. Frank

33. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

32. Non-Stop

31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

30. Divergent

29. 300: Rise of an Empire

28. Muppets Most Wanted

27. Calvary

26. The Centenarian Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared

25. Guardians of the Galaxy

24. American Hustle

23. From Scotland With Love

22. The Maze Runner

21. Joe

20. Inside Llewellyn Davis

19. The Inbetweeners 2

18. The Raid 2

17. The Book Thief

16. Enemy

15. Cold In July

14. Her

13. Next Goal Wins

12. Starred Up

11. Gone Girl

10. The Dirties

9. The Lego Movie

8. Wish I Was Here

7. Edge of Tomorrow

6. The Wolf Of Wall Street

5. Dallas Buyers Club

4. 12 Years A Slave

3. Nightcrawler

2. The Grand Budapest Hotel

1. Boyhood

When we look back on this decade, will 2014 be the point where we say This was when movies based on Marvel comics were both at their peak and most prolific?

X-Men: DOFP, Captain America: TWS, GOTG, Amazing Spider-Man 2

I mean regardless of what you may think of TASM2, you have comic franchise titles with a Spider-man movie and an X-men movie being released within weeks of each other. Then there's arguably the best MCU movie starring another franchise Marvel player, and then GOTG which was a C-list comic book became HUGE.

But this is the thing that tickles me about 2014 the most: There were a group of movies that were not Marvel based films, but just looking at the titles of the year and knowing Marvel, you could assume they were, Fury, Nightcrawler, Whiplash! Granted you'd also think wow, they were giving movies even to some pretty tertiary characters!

But this is the thing that tickles me about 2014 the most: There were a group of movies that were not Marvel based films, but just looking at the titles of the year and knowing Marvel, you could assume they were, Fury, Nightcrawler, Whiplash! Granted you'd also think wow, they were giving movies even to some pretty tertiary characters!

I would watch all of these Marvel movies. :)

Don't forget Birdman.

Let's see I saw Starred Up yesterday, which if I'm not mistaken was eligible for 2014's Academy Awards (despite being a 2013 film). So I'll update my ranking:

1) Under the Skin

2) Whiplash

3) Calvary

4) Nightcrawler

5) Starred Up

6) A Most Violent Year

7) Boyhood

8) Edge of Tomorrow

9) Queen and Country

10) Birdman

11) The Guest

12) The Babadook

13) The Grand Budapest Hotel

14) John Wick

15) Begin Again

16) Locke

17) What We Do in the Shadows

18) Blue Ruin

19) 20,000 Days on Earth

20) How to Train Your Dragon II

21) X-Men: DoFP

22) 22 Jump Street

23) The Interview

24) Noah

25) Gone Girl

26) Snowpiercer

27) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

28) Cap 2

29) GoTG

30) The Drop

31) Godzilla

32) The Salvation

33) Interstellar

34) L'inconnu du lac

36) Maleficent

I have finally seen Frank. That was a great movie. The cinematography and directing was perhaps a bit standardish, but the story and acting more than made up for that. great music as well :)

1) Under the Skin

2) Whiplash

3) Calvary

4) Nightcrawler

5) Starred Up

6) A Most Violent Year

7) Boyhood

8) Edge of Tomorrow

9) Frank

10) Queen and Country

11) Birdman

12) The Guest

13) The Babadook

14) The Grand Budapest Hotel

15) John Wick

16) Begin Again

17) Locke

18) What We Do in the Shadows

19) Blue Ruin

20) 20,000 Days on Earth

21) How to Train Your Dragon II

22) X-Men: DoFP

23) 22 Jump Street

24) The Interview

25) Noah

26) Gone Girl

27) Snowpiercer

28) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

29) Cap 2

30) GoTG

31) The Drop

32) Godzilla

33) The Salvation

34) Interstellar

35) L'inconnu du lac

36) Maleficent

• 4 weeks later...

I finally saw Whiplash the other day. Really really good. Not quite as good as the hype made it sound, for me- mostly because calling the supporting cast cyphers is probably overstating how much time and attention they're given - but close. What I really loved is not just JK Simmons, but the marriage of JK Simmons and the camera. Like, his flourishes and the movement of the lens really gave dynamism to scenes that could easily have been very static.

I'm quite surprised by how many people seem to have thought it has a happy ending, though. It was cool, but also really quite sad. Different perspectives, I guess.

I watched Nightcrawler a while back and was a bit disappointed. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was astonishing, but that's really all there is to the film. Everything else was good-to-average, and the script was imo very shallow.

I also started watching Mr Turner, about an hour. It looks absolutely gorgeous, but is really really slow- it's not really a plot as much as a series of scenes from a life and I'm going to go back to it when I'm in a more chilled out mood, which I've not been recently. Timothy Spall's performance is excellent though.

Under the Skin is next in the stack.

Archived