Tower on Fire thingy screwing up the site?

The Ned's Little Girl

Folks who've had this issue:

Please clear your cache, close and restart your browser, and then visit. Is the issue still present, and if so, is it less, more, or equally frequent to how it was previously?

Okay, I deleted browser history yesterday and have noted some improvement. The sidebar still invades the main space from time to time, but at least it now responds when I refresh the page. Better but not perfect. For the time being the site is usable.....keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, I haven't had the issue of the main page going completely blank for a while...I hope mentioning that wasn't a mistake. :frown5:

And I know you are trying Ran, so thanks.

What ads are appearing when you do get the problem?

Well, the ad box to the left has remained blank for at least a couple of days now.

Since your post this morning I have counted 7 times the sidebar (tower)has breached the main part of the page. All 7 times the ad displayed underneath the reply box has been the Xfinity ad, and I haven't seen the Xfinity ad at all when the page loads properly.

This morning , for the first time in about a month Firefox is working using Windows 7.

I didn't clear anything.

I do notice spell checking is not working , but I have had that happned before.

Odd thing , on this same machine IE was working tho with page reloads the whole time.

On my IPAD the site rarely messed up , a page refresh always worked.

On my MAC Air ... Safari working again after being totally blanked for about two weeks, one refresh cured a bad sidebar load. (I did nothing to Safari.)

It's still working on and off for me, it all depends. I have to refresh alot but that usually fixes it. This weekend it worked pretty well but then monday night I could not get on site. I don't know why but usually if I have a run where I am able to get on the site for a couple of days it will end at some point and usually around 11 or so at night after a couple of days.

Have not been seeing a lot of adds on the Tower, most of the time when it loads and the tower jumps to the right I do not have an add anymore and I can refresh it and that seems to work.

As best as I can tell it is totally random, sometimes an add and sometimes not an add. Xfinity has been a problem.

There is something else though, whenever this site gets all wonky, it also will mess up the ASOIAF wiki pages. Not other wiki pages just ones relating to this series. Back when this first started it was the John Deer ad that was always getting stuck in the middle of the page but it was the bottom add bar. The wiki pages will will stagger on the left side of the page so the writing is stacked on top of itself. But only on the left side.

Like right now if I go to the Dany wiki page and scroll down, I find a spot where the writing is staggered on itself and an add the same one on this page right now. "Did you know? If you Drive Less than 50 Miles/Day, Auto Insurance add." Everquote.com.

Well the same add is on the Wiki page and it not where it should but has jumped from the right to left and is stuck on a picture of Daenerys partially convering her. There is also somewriting from the left that has jumped to the right. The section of the wiki page it occures in right now is towards the end of the history section and about half way through her thrones synopsis.

I have a build direct add on the left of this page covering the tower and it's fine, no problem. Thing is that does not mean it will not be a problem later. It is very random. I will clear my cach and see if it helps. But I got to tell you on everything else in my house from Xbox, to lap top to two different PC's. This is not a problem at all. Lan line or WiFi the other stuff works perfectly for me.

On a wiki of ice and fire the adds are that green autio insurance add, and Xfinity triple play.

Here it is build direct and that green insurance add.

Now at the same time when A wiki of ice and fire is all wonky and this site is all wonky, guesss what? Westeros.org is all wonky. Citadel prophecies, latest news etc... Those pages will not load correctly either. But when this site is working all the others are as well. If it's a partial problem here where a refresh will fix it, the same applies to Westeros.org. However it does not apply to A wiki of Ice and Fire. A wiki of ice and fire pretty much always loads but will have a messed up section as I described in my previous post.

What I am seeing this morning after trying site Firefox and chrome on PC is that it doesn't matter what ad is on sidebar. The ad on bottom of page is what is causing issue. If it is an Xfinity ad, the tower shifts over, if not, site seems fine. Unfortunately Xfinity come up all the.time at the bottom.

I've had xfinity ads.on side but different ad on bottom and site worked.

Had to send this on phone as can't seem to get rid of xfinity ads at bottom of PC page today.

It's been much better for me also. It seems to be various ads that are showing whenever there is a problem. I just loaded the page twice with no problems and both times it was an Xfinity ad in the sidebar.

A single refresh does clear up the problem the majority of the time.

Thanks, boojam. When you did get bad sidebars, did you note which ads were appearing?

Last evening US CDT Firefox and IE on Windows 7 were having sidebar overlay problems. This was one where page seems to lay down the 'Tower sidebar' first then trys to overlay with an ad...

but the ad does not come up, yet the Tower gets pushed to the right and screen freezes. Refresh does not do anything but repeat the process.

This morning US CDT Windows 7 Firfox working.

Actually IE Windows 7 was not working last evening also. This morning IE works better than Firefox, which did a few glitches.

Wonder if heaver traffic does something?

Okay, could people report on what the bottom ad is when the left ad is blank and the sidebar issue is happening?

It really looks like I'm going to have to go back to them and ask them to pull specific campaigns.

For me, it wasn't a specific ad. The tower (whatever that is) came over from the left and covered part of the page.

Adblock on chrome solved the problem (thanks to the poster who mentioned this upthread). Nothing else worked.

We've had Xfinity turned off now -- apparently, the ad network has finally gotten complaints from other publishers that there have been issues with those ads -- and perhaps with that firm evidence in hand they'll be able to look at other ad units that cause similar issues.

It is definitely specific ads, but what we didn't realize is that even an ad on the bottom of the page could cause this issue. That was unexpected, and may well be the source of a fix to this.

Archived