a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

Yeah, Orbit seems to be bigging this up. I don't quite know how they're planning to do that if it really is a closed pseudonym though -- as opposed to a purely strategic pseudonym, like Daniel Abraham's MLN Hanover or Sarah Monette's Katherine Addison buylines; presumably, if you really wanted to try and make a debut big, you would want your new author of this thing that's supposed to be hot shit available for signings and video interviews and con appearances and suchlike?

It does sound a fair amount like The Conqueror's Shadow, but I don't think the idea's horrible per say. This sounds a lot like my kind of thing, I'm a sucker for epic fantasy debuts, and Orbit's editorial taste often works for me, so I'm definitely awaiting reviews with interest. Still a ways off as SkynJay says, in April I think, but hopefully in a month or so we'll start hearing something.

It does sound a fair amount like The Conqueror's Shadow, but I don't think the idea's horrible per say. This sounds a lot like my kind of thing, I'm a sucker for epic fantasy debuts, and Orbit's editorial taste often works for me, so I'm definitely awaiting reviews with interest. Still a ways off as SkynJay says, in April I think, but hopefully in a month or so we'll start hearing something.

Being Orbit I do think it could be good. That Conqueror's Shadow was so bad that it has spoiled that concept for me. Maybe this could redeem it.

If I read it (which I will if it gets good reviews) I'm going to be extremely distracted by the main character's name - Zosia in Polish is a diminutive (of Zofia) and as such not a suitable name at all for a legendary warrior princess.

That tends to diminish my reading experience.

When I read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, I was constantly thrown off by the charachter Ingen Jegger, which if you remove one g, in Norwegian means "No hunter" (as in "well, he's no hunter"). That he was constantly chasing the main charachters just made it worse..

Received my ARC a few days ago. Tbh, I'm really enjoying the read so far. It has a Heroes feel to it, which isn't a bad thing. Since its an arc, and i not sure if it will be included in the HC, a map would be almost necessary due to vastness of the world. I would say it leans more toward Abercrombie than to Martin in the world building, gore and without a doubt the language. Even the prose is similar. All in all, I'm completely engulfed. So far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived