The Poster Below , Version XIIIIII (I got them wrong just for you ;) )

N/A

Actually, my daughter has made me more attuned to a good score because she pays a lot of attention to them and talks about them.

So I always knew about John Williams who did Star Wars and a gajillion other movies, but now I listen for Howard Shore (LOTR) and Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Carib., Lion King) and others I can't remember till I hear them.

Train Your Dragon 2 is streaming now on Netflix, and since I've watched it twice I put on just the sound a couple of nights ago while I was tallying March Madness votes and doing other desktop things. That's quite a nice soundtrack.

And speaking of all time great soundtracks - this past week was the 50th anniversary of "The Hills are alive . .. " Sound of Music. The von Trapps moved here from Austria and their lodge is about 150 km north of where I'm sitting now. So last week, the youngest son of Maria and the Capt. was on the radio talking about the movie and the things that pissed them off about it and so on. Fairly amusing.

Tpb will name the one flower that most represents spring to them.

Apple blossoms.

TPB will do the same.

Hyacinths and tulips. (They both represent spring to me but in different ways.)

TPB will do the same.

Fantastic choices, both of you!

And now I get to swoop in and answer my own question (what else can you ask for in this life? ;) )

Early spring: crocus

Late spring: lilac

Tpb will keep it going.

Who Let the Dogs Out, Wrecking Ball, Gagnam Style...God, there are so many. I'd hate that first song even more if I was female, but as it is it's just a horrible, awful earworm of a 'song'.

TPB will come up with a deliberately dreadful joke built around an especially forced or bizarre pun. I'll come out with two of my own to give you the gist of what I'm looking for:

Why did the detective novelist put a German communist guy in his novel? He was being used as a 'red Herren.'

Why did the salmon have to sell off his own scales? It was because he was 'fishily' challenged. Get it...'fiscally?' Never mind.

Oh, this is perfect! Coming up with bad jokes is a personal specialty.

1) What is the best wine to serve when you have a family of clowns coming over for dinner? Bozolais.

2) What do you call a very small man who rides the city subway system? A metro-gnome.

"Bonus" Joke) There once was a king who was as indecisive as he was foolish. And he was a great fool, but of course, none of his ministers would say that to his face. So one day he took a notion to have all his likes and dislikes recorded so they might be printed up and copies distributed throughout the kingdom that his subjects might learn and please him better. So a scribe was hired and sent to follow the king to write down whatever he might say that he liked or didn't. Next morning the scribe's work was on the breakfast table for the king's approval. Sadly for the scribe, the queen arrived before the king. She picked up the list out of curiosity, but when the first words she saw on the list were, "the queen looks awful in that green dress & fat to boot!", she flew into a rage. Sadly for the scribe his head soon flew off as well.

Undaunted, the king hired another scribe, but alas, he met much the same fate. This one earned the king's ire for writing, "I love mornings - they're glorious!" Unfortunately, that night the king got roaring drunk, woke up with a pounding head and was not amused by his own words.

This kept happening with the poor scribes till at last, all of them had fled the kingdom.

The moral of this story: there's no accounting for taste.

Tpb will keep it going. OR they may "buy" their way out by telling the funniest joke they ever heard.

'No accounting for taste.' That's brilliantly bathetic. I've made this one up on the spot.

A linguistics teacher was trying to disguise the fact from his students he was suffering from temporary memory loss. For some reason, he'd forgotten what class he was teaching that day and delivered a lecture on the development of guns. Realising where he was, he tried to bail himself out of the situation by saying, "And this leads me to the word 'sere', meaning 'gunlock'. It also means 'withered', s-e-r-e, but has no verbal sense, The adjective 'sear' meaning in its secondary sense 'to wither', s-e-a-r, is also a verb, and always has been, which suggests that no one ever bothered to use s-e-r-e in a verbal use, rather than the fact it should not be used that way. So we can see that the fluidities of language depend less in my opinion on accepted use of neologisms with no prior linguistic basis but merely on extensions of what already should have been the case."

"But, sir," one of his students answered, "Both uses of those words already do have verbal and adjectival senses. They are just accepted alternative spellings of the same word. 'Sere', s-e-r-e, might just not have been listed as an acceptable verb in the dictionary you were referring to because it's never found much use in that form."

This caused the teacher some confusion about where he should proceed, so he then went into a rambling discussion about the interchangability of nouns and adjectives. But he took a total mental block when trying to hold up pure adjectives for consideration that either just hadn't been used as nouns yet or had no business being nouns. In disguised desperation, he started asking for examples from his class and for their opinions on each from each other in order to try and draw the clock down, so he could compose himself better for his next class.

Towards the end of the lesson, he was becoming noticably distraught however. He had attempted to look through the dictionary in his desk without anyone seeing him in order to find his own examples, but had temporarily forgotten the difference between an adjective and a verb, so the only thing he had to rely on was the recurrence of the symbol 'n'. Eventually, he drew the attention of the class when he started making curious sobbing noises and started ripping out bits of paper with no 'n's on them to try and limit things and started stuffing them in his mouth and swallowing them down. He was in the process of destroying and consuming the entire dictionary in this manner when one of the shocked students piped up by telling him he was liable to completely wreck every page of the expensive dictionary the class had bought him during the last semester as a gift.

"I know," he mumbled loudly, as he tried to choke down the pages, "But this way there will be noun left."

TPB will keep it going, or will buy their way out as honeyed chicken described.

Funniest joke I ever heard ? Hmm,... " My wife demanded a chronological list of all the women I have ever slept with, so off I went - Alice, Betty, Carrie, Dana, Emily, Fiona, Greta, Helen, Irene, Jenny, Kara, Loreta, Megan,Nancy, Olivia, Penny, Queen, Rani, Sheela, Tamara, Urvi, Valentina, Wendy, Xylona, You (my wife Yasmine) and Zoey. Then I realised that she never asked for them to be alphabetically arranged too."

The person below will share their most embarrasing High School story

:lmao:

Alright, I'll go.

I once helped The Crush by preventing an embarrasing period for her and helped her during a sort of 'wardrobe malfunction'. Anyway, she's super grateful and hugs me saying "i love you" and the perv inside comes out roaring and I hug her even more tightly whispering "i love you too" in what in retrospect may have sounded like a super creepy low tone threatening type whisper. Needless to say, it took a long time before I had the nerve to even speak to her again.

Tl;dr: High School sucked.

The person below will do the same

I'm tempted to say the entire high school experience was embarrassing, beginning to end (especially, in hindsight, those plaid, flannel bell bottoms I was so proud of at the time.).

I'll go with this. Sitting in freshman science (Intro to Physical Science, I believe it was called), my partner Ray and I were way in the back of the classroom. Ray was tipping back in his chair with his feet up on the desk. Seized by sudden inspiration I reached for his chair and said, "What would you do if I did this?" giving his chair a little extra tip. It was too much for the slippery floor so instead, to my horror, he went over flat on his back. He bounced right up and showed me just "what he would do" with a roundhouse right to the top of my head.

It was the hardest I've ever been punched, but the embarrassment of drawing that kind of attention to myself was greater than the hurt of the hit.

Fortunately, the teacher was very cool, and acted like nothing had happened. I think she figured things were even between me & Ray, so no need for her to step in.

Tpb liked high school (or gymnasium or whatever post elementary/pre-college schooling) better than college and will tell why.

Archived