UK Politics: May seems a long way

mormont

The thing that gets me isn't the guy who said it (just some nutter), but the uncritical shock of the presenter. Don't they educate their news presenters?

I don't think Birmingham is mentioned in the Bible, so the city probably never came up doing their Bible Studies.

The Fox terrorism "expert" may be onto something. I mean I'm not Muslim (and I'd imagine its the same for most non-Muslims) and I wouldn't go to Birmingham. Mainly because the Brummie majority than the Muslim one but there's a trace of truth in his statement

I've been unfortunate enough to see the spread of Brummie nationwide, having met one or two in London over the years. That's one or two too many, it's dangerous and it we need to stop it.

But on current topics...

DC getting called out by the other 3 'major' parties to take part in the debate or they'll ask the broadcasters to 'empty chair' him for the debates.

I do think that the Greens should be involved in the debate, but I think the current argument is going to make it less likely they will be rather than more-so.

Looks like they've fixed it because that took me through to a different link!

Unless you're trying to recruit people to membership for the Labour party?

ETA: I did manage to find the 404 by just making up a URL - which you can find here.

Looks like they've fixed it because that took me through to a different link!

Unless you're trying to recruit people to membership for the Labour party?

It was not working yesterday when I clicked through a link on the Grudian pointing out the error. As for recruiting, as a board member of the local chapter of the Labour Party here, I'd usually encourage recruitment, but I do find the British Labour Party to be somewhat lacking when it comes to ideology and pragmatic policies.

It was not working yesterday when I clicked through a link on the Grudian pointing out the error. As for recruiting, as a board member of the local chapter of the Labour Party here, I'd usually encourage recruitment, but I do find the British Labour Party to be somewhat lacking when it comes to ideology and pragmatic policies.

Interestingly, with the Greens overtaking the LibDems in membership numbers (and already being ahead of UKIP), there has been a lot of talk about repositioning the Greens as the actual main party of the left (Labour basically still standing in the centre with an outstretched toe dabbling in the left pool). If they can pull that off and become the anti-UKIP*, that would be an impressive achievement.

* Although bizarrely the Greens and UKIP aren't actually totally opposed over Europe, with the Greens also wanting more independence and a smaller, less corrupt EU (rather than none at all).

Well Ireland's Minister for Health has just come out as gay on national radio. First openly gay serving minister. He has often been spoken of as a potential prime minister. Will be interesting to see the reaction but fortunately initial radio reaction seems very positive.

Well, at least we can rest assured, that no matter how bad things get here, we'll never have extremely high up government officials using Taylor Swift gifs to attack the Head of Government on their website, like what just happened in 'Murica.

http://m.speaker.gov/general/12-taylor-swift-reactions-president-obamas-free-college-idea

Honestly living in a part of Wales all my life that is always Labor controlled it makes very little difference to me. Not to sound cynical but all politicians are pretty much liars and too soft on the big issues in the country, anyone who actually wants to crack down on things say like immigration gets slandered as a racist or bigot or effecting human rights. UK Politics is a joke to be honest.

Honestly living in a part of Wales all my life that is always Labor controlled it makes very little difference to me. Not to sound cynical but all politicians are pretty much liars and too soft on the big issues in the country, anyone who actually wants to crack down on things say like immigration gets slandered as a racist or bigot or effecting human rights. UK Politics is a joke to be honest.

Too soft? There is one party dedicated to reducing immigration, another that is happily turning in that direction, plus two more who are starting to talk tough even though they don't believe a word of it.

Personally, I'm all in favour of immigration

Anyone who wants to 'crack down' on immigration is being a moron and any politician who says they do is therefore either incompetent or a liar pandering for votes and in either case should be avoided like the plague.

Likewise (and relatedly) the idea of leaving the EU.

Anyone who wants to 'crack down' on immigration is being a moron and any politician who says they do is therefore either incompetent or a liar pandering for votes and in either case should be avoided like the plague.

Likewise (and relatedly) the idea of leaving the EU.

Why?

Tory MP claims there is pressure to hide atheism

Can't say I'm too surprised, given that the CofE has been described as the Conservative Party at prayer.

If you're a Conservative MP in a rural seat, there probably is an expectation that you'll attend civic services, support local Churches.

Anglican voters are quite strongly Conservative, but the Church hierarchy are mostly left-wing.

Archived