Muslim roots in ASOIAF?

finger

Well, I was doing my homework, trying to be as heretical as it can be, and I came across some stuff which bewildered me

It's an 7th Century ode called Burda = The Cloak (!)

A problem with these ancient texts is finding the true version. I've found this one in a blog called themoonandhisstars (!):

Surely the Messenger is a light with which people get illuminated.

A Indian sword, an unscathered sword of Allah.

The remider of AA and Lightbringer is obvious.

Indian steel would be the real equivalent to Valyrian steel, at the time.

Astonishing.

As I told, ancient texts' tranlations aren't always fully reliable, so I've looked for another one:

The messenger is a sword lighting the way, forged in India, a sword of God, unsheathed.

It's somewhat different, but I don't see relevant changes in the meaning.

I haven't finished. When Jon was being stabbed and (not confirmed, but you'll see) about to warg Ghost:

"When the third dagger took him between the shoulder blades, he gave a grunt and fell face-first into the snow. He never felt the fourth knive. Only the cold..."

Compare

Then Bahira looked on his back and discovered the seal of prophecy between his shoulders.

Pity you don't seem to like the topic.

I've been thinking about it, and I've found some interesting food for thought.

I guess GRRM tried to add some epic linings to the story and he found a basis in religious tradition.

Bahira was a christian monk, or the sort of, who had seen some sings about the caravan where Muhammad travelled.

This brings to to a common concept in Middle East's religions, the chosen. On this background

TPTWP = the messiah, the mahdi

This can be further elaborated, and there are other details to be added.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read an English translation of the Qur'an. And another book explaining it. Martin has borrow from many sources, surely he has borrowed from the Qur'an and Muslim tales. Unfortunately, since I have only read these titles once, a reference would not jump out at me.

Nice catches.

Did all Damascus steel have some beginning in India? I will have to check with my metalurgist

Archived