Brienne of Tarth is a Hermaphrodite?

Carllav

I would have a hard time believing that her father would actively try to wed her if she were in fact a hermaphrodite. Maesters would have enough knowledge of the condition to understand she would be infertile and it would be a black mark on their house when the condition was discovered in the bedding.

...There is some value to this question, actually. While we're not told that Brienne has external male genitalia (which I'm sure Jaime would have noticed and commented on), her general build and apparent lack of secondary female sex characteristics (higher-pitched voice, breasts, et cetera) might point toward a intergendered condition such as 5-alpha-reductase deficiency, in which the child is karyotypically male (XY chromosomes) but develops physically as a female until puberty, when testosterone production ramps up and male secondary characteristics begin to appear. I'm not saying I think this must be the case with Brienne, but it's a possibility that would explain some things about her appearance and behavior.

...There is some value to this question, actually. While we're not told that Brienne has external male genitalia (which I'm sure Jaime would have noticed and commented on), her general build and apparent lack of secondary female sex characteristics (higher-pitched voice, breasts, et cetera) might point toward a intergendered condition such as 5-alpha-reductase deficiency, in which the child is karyotypically male (XY chromosomes) but develops physically as a female until puberty, when testosterone production ramps up and male secondary characteristics begin to appear. I'm not saying I think this must be the case with Brienne, but it's a possibility that would explain some things about her appearance and behavior.

There are many women with deep voices and male features, but a true hermaphrodite have a (let's be mature here) penis and vagina... I would be completely shock if she is one though lol.

There are many women with deep voices and male features, but a true hermaphrodite have a (let's be mature here) penis and vagina... I would be completely shock if she is one though lol.

Oh, I don't personally think she is intersexed to any degree. But there's always a chance.

I wouldn't even say Brienne is transgendered. She's never given any hint of hating her breasts. She doesn't really spend any time thinking 'I wish I were male', in fact, Cersei dwells more on the whole 'I should have been a boy' thing than Brienne does. I think she's just unusual for her world, she's a female who is an excellent fighter, who prefers male clothing, and who wants to be taken seriously in spite of her gender.

I wouldn't even say Brienne is transgendered. She's never given any hint of hating her breasts. She doesn't really spend any time thinking 'I wish I were male', in fact, Cersei dwells more on the whole 'I should have been a boy' thing than Brienne does. I think she's just unusual for her world, she's a female who is an excellent fighter, who prefers male clothing, and who wants to be taken seriously in spite of her gender.

Cersei is the hermaphrodite then?

Cersei is the hermaphrodite then?

Cersei obviously isn't a hermaphrodite, as she's given birth to three children. I also don't think she's transgendered. It's more like Cersei doesn't realize how inept she is, so she blames her plans being ignored/reviled on "they hate me because I'm a woman! if only I were a man, I'd show them!" She assumes she'd be better off as a man because she sees her gender as the only thing standing in the way of her certain conquest of all of Westeros, not because she actually feels uncomfortable being a woman.

Cersei obviously isn't a hermaphrodite, as she's given birth to three children. I also don't think she's transgendered. It's more like Cersei doesn't realize how inept she is, so she blames her plans being ignored/reviled on "they hate me because I'm a woman! if only I were a man, I'd show them!" She assumes she'd be better off as a man because she sees her gender as the only thing standing in the way of her certain conquest of all of Westeros, not because she actually feels uncomfortable being a woman.

Exactly what I meant, though I think the question was tongue in cheek :)

Agree. Arya also dresses as a boy and wants to be a fighter. It may be rare in Westeros but it does happen.

While we are at it, i don't think the Mormont women are hermaphrodites either .

Brienne is just tall and awesome. And clearly, Cersei is biiter about her lack of control over her life and Robert's repeated drunken rapes . As awful of a person as she is, she is also the victim of serial abuse. (And yes, of course, she is an incompetent leader. )

Archived