Where should I start in how abercrombie's work

Starkfaithful85

You should start in the middle, and then read one page back, then one forth, and then just keep reading back and forth until you reach the beginning/end. Huge payoff!

Otherwise known as "Memento" order.

Does Abercrombie have standalones that tie into the main world? Is it worth reading these first or reading that universes main series?

Thought this was a reasonable question but as soon as I saw it I expected the usual smart arse answers I see so often on Westeros.

Normally I agree on the overuse of smartass responses in this subforum, but this question gets asked time and again and the answer isn't complicated at all.

Hi everyone I am looking to start a new fantasy series and I want to start with Abercrombie, only problem is that someone told me it was extremely emotionally draining. So I was hoping someone could help clarify if this is the case. Also which one should I start with?

Read post #388:

Joe Abercrombie (The guy that wrote the books) said:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

There are a fair number of people who'd rather start with a standalone, and they were written so they could be read on their own without spoiling earlier books too badly. I know of a lot of people who've read them out of order and have enjoyed going back to see what happened before. I don't think there's a massive problem with doing it that way. But reading them in order is ideal.

My answer to this is always just a smidge different than most folks.

Yes, you should start with the first book of the original trilogy, The Blade Itself.

BUT.... if you really, really don't want to start off on a series and want to try Abercrombie in standalone form first, then read Best Served Cold. In my opinion, spoilers in it are minimal for the trilogy and it gives you a good idea Joe's writing style and also is a complete story.

My answer to this is always just a smidge different than most folks.

Yes, you should start with the first book of the original trilogy, The Blade Itself.

BUT.... if you really, really don't want to start off on a series and want to try Abercrombie in standalone form first, then read Best Served Cold. In my opinion, spoilers in it are minimal for the trilogy and it gives you a good idea Joe's writing style and also is a complete story.

or read "half a king" and then imagine what the HBO version would be like. If that's your thing read "the first law" books in the order they came out.

I sometimes wounder if Joe puts people up to this type of thread every couple of months. It's like he can't rest until there are at least three active threads about him.

if you really, really don't want to start off on a series and want to try Abercrombie in standalone form first, then read Best Served Cold. In my opinion, spoilers in it are minimal for the trilogy and it gives you a good idea Joe's writing style and also is a complete story.

No, no, no. That's exactly what I did and it didn't work that well. I found the book mediocre at best and I didn't even feel inclined to continue reading Joe's stuff. It took the board at least couple of months to convince me to give the trilogy a go. And it was a completely different experience. Admittedly, I've read trilogy in English and BSC in Polish translation, which apparently isn't very good, but that was only part of the problem. I strongly recommend reading in publication order.

And yes, I agree, question in OP was lazy and deserved a little spanking.

Hi everyone I am looking to start a new fantasy series and I want to start with Abercrombie, only problem is that someone told me it was extremely emotionally draining. So I was hoping someone could help clarify if this is the case. Also which one should I start with?

I didn't find them to be emotionally draining at all. I burned right through the trilogy when I first started reading Abercrombie's stuff.

For the record I wasn't being snarky, I was just giving a common sense answer. If you want to start with an author it's usually recommended to start with the first book in the series, rather than the second or third, or the stand alones when they're connected to the first trilogy.

Archived