[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] My biggest issue with the Brienne vs The Hound scene

Wavey Sauce

A piece of bread wouldn't convince Sandor Clegane to let his price join this woman with a Lannister sword, a Lannister squire and Lannister gold.

I'm pretty sure Clegane wouldn't let Arya go without a fight even if she WANTED to. And to a Lannister soldier (in his mind) even less.

Although you make a good point about that scene with Hot Pie, maybe they could've made Brienne atleast try to convince Arya with that piece of bread even if Arya still doesn't believe her.

The fight was freakin' amazing though, the best fighting scene in GoT.

Maybe she didn't think about it? Maybe she was taken aback? She probably didn't expect Sandor freaking Clegane to show up, with Arya. It's always annoyed me that in movies, people say and do the reasonable thing, when in real life, we often act like deer caught in headlights.

I know the Hound is a rough and uncouth sort of fellow on the outside but he does have his own moral code and I'm not sure attacking a lady fits his MO.

Actually, fighting a woman seems just like the type of thing the Hound would do. He treats everybody equally and doesn't give a shite about titles, probably not even gender titles. Remember, he killed that butcher's boy.

Well was never a fan of it to begin with, and I know a lot of people really hated it.

But after watching the final episodes again, I have no clue how in the hell they left the clear plot hole in there, where they had just met Hot Pie not too long ago, and Brienne had that dire wolf piece of bread. Yet she never shows it to Arya nor does she or Pod bring up anything about running into Hot Pie.

I mean once they saw they had to convince her to go with them, how in the hell would neither of them think of that? Why even have the Hot Pie scene? Just for them to learn that she is with the hound? But yea showing the bread or fighting Sandor......genius writing

The Hound doesn't give two shits about some wolf bread. Breinne had to convince Sandor, not Arya.

Maybe she didn't think about it? Maybe she was taken aback? She probably didn't expect Sandor freaking Clegane to show up, with Arya. It's always annoyed me that in movies, people say and do the reasonable thing, when in real life, we often act like deer caught in headlights.

Funny, but my feeling is the opposite. I hate it when people in TV & movies do something stupid just to make something dramatic happen. As well choreographed as the fight was, it drove me crazy that Arya, Brienne, and the Hound all said precisely the stupid thing they had to say to escalate the situation.

I'll admit it's not always a bad thing when characters do something irrational--I understood why Jon rushed into reading the Pink Letter and rallying the wildlings for a raid against the Boltons, for instance. Having a psychopath who likes to skin women chasing after your favorite sister will make you react emotionally, especially if half the prisoners he's demanding aren't there and he'll probably attack the Watch anyway. I just didn't see any reason for Brienne to draw her sword so fast. She could have at least tried to explain why she had the Lannister bling, or stopped to consider that the Hound could never work for the Lannisters again. There were ways to motivate the fight, but, after the unmotivated abandonment of the Bloody Gate, the whole thing just came across to me as bad writing. When a smart lady like Brienne does something stupid, I need the script to hint at something in her character that makes her do it.

I just didn't see any reason for Brienne to draw her sword so fast.

Maybe she was acting out of fear. She probably knew that the Hound was one of the most fearsome fighters in Westeros, and he didn't exactly behave amiably towards her...

Then again, one could argue that a badass such as Brienne ought to not be affected by fear. ;)

Good thing neither of them did.... right?...

right?

I hope Sandor did. Or that he was found by that priest. Key point is, I hope he's out of the plot. There'll be enough resurrections already.

I just didn't see any reason for Brienne to draw her sword so fast. She could have at least tried to explain why she had the Lannister bling, or stopped to consider that the Hound could never work for the Lannisters again. There were ways to motivate the fight, but, after the unmotivated abandonment of the Bloody Gate, the whole thing just came across to me as bad writing. When a smart lady like Brienne does something stupid, I need the script to hint at something in her character that makes her do it.

Haha, for me this was perfectly in character for Brienne. You're in the presence of a known psycho killer. Draw sword, ask questions later.

If she hadn't, I guarantee you there would be now around the same number of complains about why she hadn't do it. Possibly even from the same people.

(e: show Brienne; book Brienne at times reads to me like she's mentally retarded)

Also everyone I know that read the book IRL has an issue with the scene as well. We can all agree that brienne is a bad ass, but I just personally do not feel that she is on sandor's level. Sportsmanship, totally. Experience in life or death fights ? No friggin way.

Also everyone I know that read the book IRL has an issue with the scene as well. We can all agree that brienne is a bad ass, but I just personally do not feel that she is on sandor's level. Sportsmanship, totally. Experience in life or death fights ? No friggin way.

I totally agree that book Brienne isn't - I think that it's the reverse of that feeling of mine that at times book Brienne reads as though she were mentally deficient. That's why I definitely prefer show Brienne.

I loved the scene. It was one of the best scenes of the entire season. I'm not a fan of fight scenes, but that was definitely the best-choreographed fight scene that has been in the show.

I am aware of no reason at all to think that Brienne wouldn't be the favorite in that fight. She was the champion of a great melee just like Sandor was a champion, and she was a Kingsguard as well. She was better armed and outfitted, and he was weakened from an infected wound. I would have expected her to win.

And as far as the bread, the fight began very shortly after Brienne realized who Arya was. I don't think there was really a lot of time for Brienne to go back to her saddle bags and get some bread, if she still had it which would be kind of odd - bread isn't made to be indefinitely kept.

Funny, but my feeling is the opposite. I hate it when people in TV & movies do something stupid just to make something dramatic happen. As well choreographed as the fight was, it drove me crazy that Arya, Brienne, and the Hound all said precisely the stupid thing they had to say to escalate the situation.

I'll admit it's not always a bad thing when characters do something irrational--I understood why Jon rushed into reading the Pink Letter and rallying the wildlings for a raid against the Boltons, for instance. Having a psychopath who likes to skin women chasing after your favorite sister will make you react emotionally, especially if half the prisoners he's demanding aren't there and he'll probably attack the Watch anyway. I just didn't see any reason for Brienne to draw her sword so fast. She could have at least tried to explain why she had the Lannister bling, or stopped to consider that the Hound could never work for the Lannisters again. There were ways to motivate the fight, but, after the unmotivated abandonment of the Bloody Gate, the whole thing just came across to me as bad writing. When a smart lady like Brienne does something stupid, I need the script to hint at something in her character that makes her do it.

To me, once Brienne realized who the crazy little girl was, it was 100% inevitable that there was going to be a fight. Brienne was absolutely NOT going to walk away without Arya and the Hound was absolutely NOT going to give her up to some chick with a Lannister sword just because the chick said he had to. It didn't matter who said what: they were going to fight.

To me, once Brienne realized who the crazy little girl was, it was 100% inevitable that there was going to be a fight. Brienne was absolutely NOT going to walk away without Arya and the Hound was absolutely NOT going to give her up to some chick with a Lannister sword just because the chick said he had to. It didn't matter who said what: they were going to fight.

Exactly. While some smoother words from either side may have delayed a conflict, Sandor wasn't ever going back to the Lannisters and wasn't going to be convinced to give Arya up when there was only one armed person there to force him. The exact dialogue and reactions did escaate really fast, but the writers must have simply considered running time and got right to the point. Which was a very brtual and well-choreographed fight that helped settle a common debate among fans, which I took as the gift it was.

I really loved the scene.

But I have to admit that both Brienne and Sandor proved to be really socially incompetent and in Brienne's case that was a bit out of character, a bit over the top. She has shown before that diplomacy is not her strongest asset and yet.

I like both characters and to see them put against each other in mortal combat was a feast given the actors' performance. Having read the books I of course knew that Sandor would lose and Brienne would most probably survive. And it came as expected: the show left that small way out for Sandor to be alive still.

And yet - when I watched I realized that in the end I like Brienne better than Sandor since I clearly rooted for her.

It always takes courage to set up two fan favorites against each other. Martin himself certainly does not lack that courage and the show will hopefully not get mellow in avoiding those conflicts.

^^this ..i agree with what Freeparking said...

I will also add this ...Arya may suspect that it was not the bread made by Hot Pie because she knows he couldn't do a perfect wolf last time....why she should believe suddenly he got better at it ...

The bread was a wolf though, same as Hot pies.If Brienne told Arya what he said, about doing it turning out better that time, how could Brienne could have known that Hot Pie made the wolf to begin with? But I still agree that Ayra wouldn't trust Hot Pies judgement, as well as Briennes storiy, taking into account the Lannister gold and southern accent

Yeah, good point.

The whole scene was utterly senseless. Some people don't need their action scenes to make sense on a story telling level, apparently. What the hell was the point of Brienne meeting Hot Pie AND Arya? Just so that she could be the one to kill the Hound - oh, in an epic fight. Of course everybody had to act like idiots to make it happen too.

IF Brienne meets Arya or Sansa, I want it to mean something. I want it to be an interesting scene that has an effect on the future plot. What was the point of everything Catelyn, Brienne and Jaime did regarding the girls? Brienne killing a random dude and shouting around like an idiot, while Arya fails to show enough interest to raise an eyebrow? My mother you say? Who cares, bye.

I know they tried to combine a couple of scenes from the book, but the end result was crap.

Archived