NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

• 2 weeks later...

Jets and Sabres complete a massive trade, thus ending the Kane saga in Winnipeg.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/698945

I think Winnipeg came out pretty nicely in the deal. Armia is a very nice prospect, Stafford is a serviceable forward and Myers may be better now that he won't be the centrepiece of a defense. And they got saved some decent cap space.

Evander Kane is uber talented but he remains an enigma; I hope he's able to find his game in Buffalo, because he's a joy to watch when he's on.

Meanwhile, the other Kane (who's from Buffalo) now leads the league with 62 points. Now that's a fabulous year, but looking and league-wide scoring totals, this could be the first full season since 2003-04 without a 100 point season. And they say the 'clutch and grab' is a bygone era.

Now I'm absolutely sure Buffalo will finish last in the standings, after also trading away Enroth (getting Lindbäck and a conditional third round pick in return).

Hall, Scrivens and Pouliot being out long term probably sped up the process as well.

Now for more successful teams, there seems to be divided opinion on Price and Rinne for the Vezina. Personally I think it should go to Rinne, but here's an interesting argument in Price's favour. It's a heat map, showing the types of shots each has dealt with. Obviously Price has to deal with many more shots right around the net, while Nashville seems to be able to keep the shots to the outside.

http://i.imgur.com/t2dbjOL.jpg

Funny how Weber seems to get denied for the Norris because his team's not good enough, now Rinne may lose points in the Vezina race because his team's too good.

Well, the Habs are not that far behind the Preds in the standings and Montreal has the lowest GA as a team in the league. That Price is leading the league in GAA and SV% right now is what probably gives him the edge. Interesting that this one is voted among the GM's and IMO holds more weight than some of the other awards.

Well, the Habs are not that far behind the Preds in the standings and Montreal has the lowest GA as a team in the league. That Price is leading the league in GAA and SV% right now is what probably gives him the edge. Interesting that this one is voted among the GM's and IMO holds more weight than some of the other awards.

Rinne's actually 1st in GAA at 1.99, and 2nd to Price in SV%. So I think the stats are a wash. If these guys keep this level through the stretch drive, it'll be a tough vote, because right now they're dead even imo.

And I agree about the Vezina. The PHWA votes on some of the other awards, which end up being popularity contests/flavour of the month awards (*cough* Norris *cough*). I believe the Jack Adams is also decided by coaches and/or GMs.

Used to Weber getting shafted come award time it would be a shame for Rinne to suffer the "small southern market" bullshit as well :D

The Vezina is one of the select few that actually tends to get it right, and it could be because NHL officials vote on it. Bobrovski took it home a couple years back, and even the oddball Tim Thomas won it a couple times.

Tbh it's a toss up between Price and Rinne. And both also deserve at least some consideration for the Hart.

Speaking of Rinne, he just committed highway robbery on Mike Cammalleri :angry:. This is my first real look at the Preds this season, they certainly look like one of the best teams in the league to me. Schneider is the only reason this is a game right now.

Best we (the Preds) have looked in a while. Good game :)

Archived