NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

Preds got Cody Franson back in a trade today. We are not fucking around. Our defense is so awesome

Never had any doubts about your goaltending or defense, and now you have a good group of talented young forwards and veterans too. I think they're a legitimate contender.

Well to be fair, any goalie would've been swimming with Kane dangling like that.

True. All three of Chicago's skaters looked good out there, but I'm used to Fleury stopping at least one of them.

Our power play has been terrible; 0-14 I think? Too much talent to be blanked on 14 straight.

I was wondering why nobody replied to my mid-season report after the all-star break, and I looked back and realised that it wasn't even there! I didn't post anything offensive, so I don't think it got deleted. I guess it just didn't load, maybe? Ah well, too lazy to do it all over again. I guess I'll just post this monster hit by Byfuglien last night. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=8Lrn-D38lzw

I was wondering why nobody replied to my mid-season report after the all-star break, and I looked back and realised that it wasn't even there! I didn't post anything offensive, so I don't think it got deleted. I guess it just didn't load, maybe? Ah well, too lazy to do it all over again. I guess I'll just post this monster hit by Byfuglien last night. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=8Lrn-D38lzw

That just shows the power of Big Buff. He barely moved, he just kinda skated into Gadzic who's not a small guy himself. I've noticed Buff's hits are mostly like that. At 6'5, 265lbs he wouldn't have to move much.

Also Fayne with a textbook suicide pass on that play.

This is a sad year for the Leafs, hence my lack of posts in this thread during the first season i'm actually on this board....

A sad, sad year.

I'm just kinda numb after all the Oilers' failures the past few years. The team has shown some improvement the last few weeks, but I take no joy in that.

Regarding the Leafs, that looks like a dumpster fire in the making. Shanny's 'scorched earth' approach might sound progressive, but there is a long road ahead.

And this Caps-Pens game is a powder keg right now. Letang got dumped, and now Ovi is running wild and laughing. I hope they meet in the playoffs somehow.

Well the Pens PP is displaying a master class in ineffectiveness right now. It looks like too many cooks are in the kitchen for them. There is a lot of cute passing, and then a half-ass chance because they had to rush it.

And Carlson seals it.

Lmao Rinne is not human

http://gfycat.com/ElasticRapidAvians

:o that is some sorcery.

The Oilers aren't that far off from being a half decent team, horrid record aside. At times their offence can be deadly, and their goaltending is actually not bad. The problem is the lack of commitment to defence. Yesterday they frequently lost position and allowed too many shots. They need a coach who is able to get the whole team to buy into the team defence concept. Everybody needs to know their role in breaking out of your zone, and the Oilers don't seem to have any real system in place yet. At least, that's what I gather from what I saw last night.

The way I see it, these teams should be considered as heading to the playoffs;

East:

Atlantic

Montreal

Tampa Bay

Detroit

Metropolitan

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Pittsburgh

Washington

West

Central

Nashville

St. Louis

Chicago

Pacific

Anaheim

Winnipeg is in a pretty good spot, but need to win more games in regulation or OT to feel more comfortable about their place in the standings

So the last quarter of the season should be interesting, especially in the Western Conference, with many division games. Los Angeles, Vancouver, Calgary, San Jose, Winnipeg and Minnesota are currently fighting to reach a playoff spot.

The Oilers aren't that far off from being a half decent team, horrid record aside. At times their offence can be deadly, and their goaltending is actually not bad. The problem is the lack of commitment to defence. Yesterday they frequently lost position and allowed too many shots. They need a coach who is able to get the whole team to buy into the team defence concept. Everybody needs to know their role in breaking out of your zone, and the Oilers don't seem to have any real system in place yet. At least, that's what I gather from what I saw last night.

Well that's more or less true, but aside from last night the Oilers have been carrying the play lately. They've been much better with Nelson at the helm.

But the quality of the roster gets as much blame as the lack of coaching. On the one hand, 6 coaches in the past 7 seasons aren't favourable conditions for a system to be put into place. On the other, that many coaches suggest a roster that needs major fixing. The lack of an NHL level defense and goaltending are pretty apparent, followed by a lack of size in the top 6. And frankly I don't trust the current FO to get these holes fixed.

Winnipeg is in a pretty good spot, but need to win more games in regulation or OT to feel more comfortable about their place in the standings.

I think that Winnipeg, unless there is a huge downfall from now until the end of the season, are in a pretty good position of making the playoffs. They're in a relatively comfortable spot, and basically only need to get at least half of the available points left. The teams below them need to go on quite the run in order to catch up to them. Even six points is hard to catch up to, given the prevalence of three point games. It's the final western playoff spot that will be a free for all.

As for the final wildcard spots, personally I can't imagine the Bruins or the Kings not making it, but then again, it's been how long since the Sharks missed the playoffs? If Winnipeg makes it, it's either the Kings or the Sharks that don't make it, IMO. But that depends on Calgary and Vancouver staying above the Sharks and the Kings. Since they have a mere three point lead over the Kings atm, their lead is tenuous at best, especially given that this is the LA Kings we're taking about. Boston has benefitted from a slumping Panthers team, but things could be interesting down the line. I think the Flyers and Sens are out, despite the relative closeness in the standings to the Bruins.

Archived