NHL 2015 Playoffs - The Quest Begins...

Jabronius Maximus

So the local sports radio today had a segment where the two hosts argued about whether or not Sidney Crosby was playing with an injury. The one guy, who might also be a beat writer for the Pens, seemed to think Sid had a lingering right wrist/arm injury that hadn't fully healed from I guess last season. He thought Sid was relying more on his backhand than usual which he falls back on when hurt. I think it will be interesting to see if he is right. Only time will tell, but if Sid continues to have trouble scoring goals people are gonna wonder. I mean before his basically double concussion he had scored 50 goals the prior season, and was on pace for over 60 the year of his big injury. We haven't seen that kinda goal scoring touch really since then. It's funny to be wondering how healthy a player is when he's leading the league in points per game.

ETA: But if the last five or six postseasons have taught me anything it's that the Pens need Sid and Malkin at their best if they want to win. Think about this since 1994 there have been only three players to score 30+ in the postseason. Two of the three were Sid and Geno the year the Pens won (08-09)

It was a great game, yeah. Just straight domination by the Pens. The only downside was the first goal by the Wild, after the Downie hit, which led to a shitton of boos. It felt really classless by the Pens fans, who are generally pretty good at acknowledging pretty goals (and it was pretty as all hell). Yeah, Downie took an elbow from Suter, but...eh. I don't know. It wasn't like the elbow had an effect on the goal, so let pretty hockey stand for itself, you know?

ETA: But if the last five or six postseasons have taught me anything it's that the Pens need Sid and Malkin at their best if they want to win.
I don't know, honestly. He wracked up a lot of assists and when Hornqvist is on that line they get murderous amounts of points for each other. It might just be that he's maturing a bit and getting more used to feeding great assists to other players rather than pulling off magic "through the entire team and around the goalie" goals. He came really, really close to that kind of magic against the Wild several times, too.

Tough break for the Preds. Maybe their rival the Blues will let them have Martin Brodeur. 😆

Kidding aside, you've gotta feel for the guy. In hindsight St Louis wasn't the greatest choice, because they already have a solid tandem. But the guy just wants another ring, and the situation has fallen by the wayside.

Kidding aside, you've gotta feel for the guy. In hindsight St Louis wasn't the greatest choice, because they already have a solid tandem. But the guy just wants another ring, and the situation has fallen by the wayside.

Yeah, it's sad to see it come to this. I can be pissed about him not just retiring a Devil all I want, but who am I to say the guy shouldn't play. He loves the game, and he wasn't ready to give it up. I understand from that perspective. I still think the Wild would have made the most sense. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens from here.

Welp, looks like Rinne is out for 3-5 weeks with a knee sprain. Hutton should be able to hold the fort, because there is a very strong team in front of him.

Big hit for my fantasy teams though. Hopefully Mrazek in Detroit can hold the fort for me...

Hutton is pretty mediocre but yeah I am confident we can stand our ground. Good timing with the all star break just hope he recovers swiftly.

Flying along with the 3rd string goalie in Detroit has been interesting...

I think Mrazek is the most talented goalie in Detroit, and will either be the #1 soon enough (he's certainly playing like it) or juicy trade bait. The way Howard's playing this year, it might be the latter. How do the Wings keep doing this?

It was a great game, yeah. Just straight domination by the Pens. The only downside was the first goal by the Wild, after the Downie hit, which led to a shitton of boos. It felt really classless by the Pens fans, who are generally pretty good at acknowledging pretty goals (and it was pretty as all hell). Yeah, Downie took an elbow from Suter, but...eh. I don't know. It wasn't like the elbow had an effect on the goal, so let pretty hockey stand for itself, you know?

I don't know, honestly. He wracked up a lot of assists and when Hornqvist is on that line they get murderous amounts of points for each other. It might just be that he's maturing a bit and getting more used to feeding great assists to other players rather than pulling off magic "through the entire team and around the goalie" goals. He came really, really close to that kind of magic against the Wild several times, too.

Classless is booing an opposing team scoring? C'mon... What the music guy (I don't know what the instrument is) in Philly does in unison with the fans chanting "Crosby sucks" is classless. That still doesn't really bother me. I've never heard people inside Consol cheer an opposing goal

The Suter hit was pretty ridiculous so I'm not surprised.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that Downie was the victim meant no penalty on the ice, but I'm glad to see a suspension eventually got handed down. Anyway the crowd here in Edmonton would just give the usual silent treatment to whatever happens on the ice.

In other news, the 2016 WC is set: Bruins v Habs at Gillette Stadium. I hope it can approach the spectacle that was Leafs-Red Wings in 2014 at Ann Arbor (which I was lucky enough to attend!). Unfortunately, that still means we won't get the fabled Lightning-Panthers Winter Classic.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-bruins-canadiens-set-for-2016-winter-classic-in-foxborough-1.186554

Well this pens/flyers game is sure getting interesting... No surprises.

ETA: Voracek is a bitch... This is getting heated.

ETA 2: Now a Downie/Schenn fight.

ETA 3: This is an all-out slugfest. Another fight, and a Flyer who wouldn't take his helmet off after Farnham took his off.

Archived