If you were Daenerys, where in Westeros would you make your first landing?

Lord Rupert Connington

Personally, I can't decide. It's either the Vale or Dragonstone.

The Vale:

Untouched by war and the political situation is very unstable. If Daenerys could get control of the Vale lords, she would certainly have a very large force. I think that the key player would be Bronze Yohn. If he decides to back Dany, I'm sure that the other powerful Vale lords would follow. I also think that Tyrion, as Dany's adviser, would have an enemy in common with Bronze Yohn -Littlefinger. Yes, they fought against Aerys, but if they had to have the choice between Cersei, Stannis, Dany and Aegon (who they'd think would be fake), I'm sure that Daenerys would be their choice.

Dragonstone:

If she lands on Dragonstone, I think that she will be able to gain the Celtigars, Stauntons, Sunglasses ( :cool4: ) and the remaining Velaryons and Bar Emmons (most of their forces are away with Stannis, I presume). It could also mean that Cracklaw Point would declare for her as well. Also, with her being so close to King's Landing, it will put a little bit of fear into whoever sits the Iron Throne at her point of arrival.

Dragonstone as Aegon the Dragon did. She probably will have support of Velaryons and Aurane Waters.

It would also be epic if she sends ravens announcing her claim. Also, if Tyrell fleet goes to fight Ironborn , Crown doesen't have forces to attack her there.

Good options but if i were danaerys i would send an envoy to ask whoever`s in charge to bend the knee. If they refused i would then target areas of high military and low civilian population flying over screaming dracarus till they all fry , then send another envoy asking for the knee to be bent otherwise KL will be next

Personally, I can't decide. It's either the Vale or Dragonstone.

The Vale:

Untouched by war and the political situation is very unstable. If Daenerys could get control of the Vale lords, she would certainly have a very large force. I think that the key player would be Bronze Yohn. If he decides to back Dany, I'm sure that the other powerful Vale lords would follow. I also think that Tyrion, as Dany's adviser, would have an enemy in common with Bronze Yohn -Littlefinger. Yes, they fought against Aerys, but if they had to have the choice between Cersei, Stannis, Dany and Aegon (who they'd think would be fake), I'm sure that Daenerys would be their choice.

Dragonstone:

If she lands on Dragonstone, I think that she will be able to gain the Celtigars, Stauntons, Sunglasses ( :cool4: ) and the remaining Velaryons and Bar Emmons (most of their forces are away with Stannis, I presume). It could also mean that Cracklaw Point would declare for her as well. Also, with her being so close to King's Landing, it will put a little bit of fear into whoever sits the Iron Throne at her point of arrival.

Dragonstone really does not have much to offer by itself, but it has close proximity to Cracklaw Point, which is Targ Loyalist historically. She is reasonably close to Duskendale, which should be very pro Targ considering where the Rykkers got their title from. Stokeworth which is held by Bronn could easily be convinced to join her, and that is only the Crownlands. From Dragonstone, Dany is within easy reach of the Riverlands.

BTW, the Sunglasses are in exile (Volantis,I believe), but that does that not mean they won't join her on the way.

I would aim for Saltpans, and cut a swath upriver from the mouth of the Trident all the way to Seagard and Riverrun. The Riverlands is in chaos, the loss of the honourable and brave Young Wolf still rings heavy in their hearts, and the Freys are so despised that whomever slaughters them will be greeted as a hero.

The Riverlords and Vale might rally to me quickly, and I can cut the realm in two. Meanwhile the might of the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Boltons are engaged relatively far away, and whatever Stannis Baratheon, House Greyjoy, and House Martell might bring to bear, they have to get through the others first.

I would aim for Saltpans, and cut a swath upriver from the mouth of the Trident all the way to Seagard and Riverrun. The Riverlands is in chaos, the loss of the honourable and brave Young Wolf still rings heavy in their hearts, and the Freys are so despised that whomever slaughters them will be greeted as a hero. The Riverlords and Vale might rally to me quickly, and I can cut the realm in two. Meanwhile the might of the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Boltons are engaged relatively far away, and whatever Stannis Baratheon, House Greyjoy, and House Martell might bring to bear, they have to get through the others first.

Any reason that she would not stop by Dragonstone first, it's practically a stop on that route.

If I were Dany here is what I'd worry about: Naval crossings can be highly perilous. One bad storm and your whole invasion fleet can be wiped out. Then it's game over. Accordingly, I would want to take a very short route to Westeros. I'd detach a very small task force to take Dragon Stone. But, there would be no way, I'd disembark my entire invasion force there. That would be just plain stupid.

I think ideally, a good place for her to land her main force would be right around the Saltpans, if she can get the support of the Vale before she lands. That particular area would be close to the food sources of the Vale and it isn't far from Gulltown. Plus, it's open enough that the Dothraki could be effective.

If I were Dany I would want to avoiding fighting in the Vale if possible. The mountains and the weather there would make campaigning there a real pain in the butt. And it wouldn't be an ideal place for the Dothraki to operate.

dumb question, but. ASSUMING Daenerys accepts Victarian and his fleet, Victarian's fleet IS the perfect vessel for her to travel her army and everything to Westeros. Since it's Victarian's fleet, why not land by the Iron Islands, demand everyone int he area fealty to Victarian and Daenerys (or burn, i think theyd rather kneel), and regroup there?

dumb question, but. ASSUMING Daenerys accepts Victarian and his fleet, Victarian's fleet IS the perfect vessel for her to travel her army and everything to Westeros. Since it's Victarian's fleet, why not land by the Iron Islands, demand everyone int he area fealty to Victarian and Daenerys (or burn, i think theyd rather kneel), and regroup there?

Well, for one Vicky's fleet is probably not going to be large enough to get all of Dany's people across into Westeros. I'd expect Dany to procure more naval craft from Essos. And many of those craft are probably not going to be the long ships that the Iron Born use. Many of them might be slower merchant vessels. It would seem to me that sailing around Westeros to reach the Iron Isles could turn into a big goat rope fairly quickly, particularly as the weather starts to worsen.

The upside of drgaonstone is that it’s a secure, safe base from which to launch her conquest, if the lords swore fealty to her first and didn’t resist. the downside is that she would still need to organise another landing to conquer the mainland, and in the time it takes to settle at dragonstone and organise another assault, the nobles of westeros would have sufficient time to regroup and present an organised defence.

you have to consider that dany doesn’t have a conventional army. she has unsullied, a khalasaar of dothraki, and a multitude of slaves, mercenaries, camp followers and refugees. a long sea voyage would likely incapacitate her crack troops (unsullied and dothraki), and they would need time to regroup. her other armies are too disorganised, weak and too large to really launch an offensive. her dragons won’t be used in battle, they’re too small at the moment and they’re too valuable as figureheads.

dany needs an ally, and a place to regroup. she needs it as close as possible to essos so that her army doesn’t have a long sea voyage, and she’s not cut off from her supporters in the east.

the iron islands won’t be much help in a land war. dragonstone IS the best bet, come to think about it.

Archived