New Amazon pilots 2015 (including PKD's "The Man in the High Castle")

AncalagonTheBlack

Amazon debuts 13 new TV show pilots

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001155581

Today Amazon is releasing its first wave of pilots for 2015. It’s an interesting assortment of projects from people as prominent as Ridley Scott and Shield producer Shawn Ryan. However, this time around “interesting” doesn’t necessarily translate into “good”—in fact, there’s only really one pilot that’s must-see viewing: The Man in the High Castle.

As with Amazon’s previous endeavors into original content, this latest batch of pilots is being delivered via Amazon Instant Video en masse so that people can tell the company which show ought to get a full season. And while the new crop boasts a Civil War drama from Carlton Cuse (Point of Honor) and comedies starring Breaking Bad and 30 Rock alums (Cocked and Salem Rogers, respectively), The Man in the High Castle is the one most poised to be this year’s (now Golden Globe-winning) Transparent.

http://www.tv.com/news/amazon-pilots-2015-cocked-salem-rodgers-down-dog-point-of-honor-mad-dogs-142134366655/

http://www.avclub.com/review/new-amazon-pilots-include-promising-philip-k-dick--213845

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/amazons-new-pilots-high-castle/

I don't have Prime so cannot watch these, but the descriptions of the Man in the High Castle do indeed sound like something I could get very into. Add to the reported quality of High Castle the one or two reviews of Point of Honor that I've read that suggest it's a tissue of the most misguided horseshit imaginable and I'm firmly on the "I hope they pick up High Castle" train. If High Castle happens and Amazon's reported deal with Del Toro for his noire-fantasy thing Carnival Row goes through and ends up being as good as it sounds I could see Prime suddenly looking a lot more like something I might actually want one day.

You can see some clips here.

It looks brilliant. Hopefully available to watching outside of the USA soon.

Also, ATB, you'll probably get a lot more discussion if you whack MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE into the thread title. I didn't even know this thing existed until today. I'm at a loss as to how it slipped by my news radar.

The Man In The High Castle does look very promising from the clips. Some of the reviews note that it's got a few changes from the book, but I think it's a story where the precise details of the plot were never the most important thing about it (and of course there's a good precedent for unfaithful adaptation of PKD novels turning out well).

The Man in the High Castle looks good. I thought the pilot was really strong and I'll probably tune in when it airs. It does have Rufus Sewell in it though, the man's a good actor, but he has a way of either choosing shitty productions or good ones that are discontinued for some stupid reason. I hope this will be an exception :)

The Man in the High Castle has in it to be the next big talked about show of the upcoming years (like Breaking Bad level of fame).

The pilot is really great, and the topic can't possibly be more appealing to the masse.

This feels more like a very well done adaptation with good source material than a Breaking Bad type show.

Man in the High Castle was great.Only thing I didn't like was the newsreel with footage from our timeline I hate timeline shenanigans so hopefully it's just propaganda and a nod to what really happened.

I read the first sentence in the description of Point of Honor and nearly threw up in my mouth. Have we truly descended to the level of southern revisionism disguising itself as presumably-sexy historical drama?

I'm betting on a remake of Mandingo 2: The Enslavening being a major plot point.

The Man in the High Castle was very good, but I have a hard time accepting the premise. There had to be more to how the Nazis won than just one nuclear bomb dropped on Washington.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a science-fiction story involving parallel universes, but that newsreel footage made me think of that.

The Man in the High Castle was very good, but I have a hard time accepting the premise. There had to be more to how the Nazis won than just one nuclear bomb dropped on Washington.

I haven't seen it, but didn't they also nuke the hell out of Russia? If Nazi Germany took out Russia, nuked DC and invaded by sea whilst Japan invaded from the other direction (itself only possible assuming a total victory at Pearl Harbour, an invasion or blockade of Hawaii and an advance on the mainland), it's at least vaguely plausible for the purposes of a TV series.

There's always been that question if Britain and the US could have stomached the massive losses Russia took and the need to become more brutal and ruthless than the enemy in order to win. The answer I suspect is no. Throw nukes into the equation as well from the German side and the notion of an Allied collapse and surrender becomes more feasible.

Archived