Gendry....NOT a bastard?

Vee Stark

Re-watching season 1 and came upon an interesting theory that may be a stretch...or not. In S01 Ep01 Cersei tells Catlyn a story about a son that her and Robert "had" that describes alot like Gendry. The story does indeed make Cersei sad, but I am wondering if either (1. she is sad because the child is still alive and she had to give it up in order to save him from Jaime? OR (2. she is sad because she believes this baby boy did die but in truth was hidden away by Robert or someone else?

What also pushes me into the idea that it is Gendry was in S01 Ep04 when Ned is speaking with Gendry in KL, Gendry tells Ned his mom "died" when he was little and she had "yellow hair". Let me know what you think.

I doubt the queen could give birth secretly...

Aside from that, Genry would be the rightful king, rightful lord of Storm's End and the Stormlands, and heir apparant to Casterly Rock and the Westerlands.

Show universe, it's possible he could stand in as young griff.

I will be super disappointed if they do this though, cause it's a huge spoiler.

Good point, maybe that is where the show has been heading since series 1, it would not surprise me.

The only snag is that Gendry would be a true Baratheon rather than a Targ which seems against Vary's MO of wanting the Targ's back on the throne. If Gendry is the replacement Aegon then I don't see how Vary's could be behind this plot. But if Vary's is not behind this plot then his role in the story as a puppet pulling strings is somewhat diminished considering he without said puppet to pull.

Show universe, it's possible he could stand in as young griff.

I will be super disappointed if they do this though, cause it's a huge spoiler.

Me too, and Gendry's my second fave male character in the series after Jon. But it may be likely. Any word on whether Joe's filmed for Season 5?

The show will spoil the books. Best get used to it.

:agree: Book readers had a fit after 4.04. I only expect that to continue this spring, and rumblings around the Web sort of confirm more TWoW & ADoS spoilage. It's a shame -- this is sacrilege, but I'm hoping GRRM considers a co-author (perhaps even Elio &/or Linda?) because I want George's ending his way, not D&D's Cliff Notes!

Good point, maybe that is where the show has been heading since series 1, it would not surprise me.

The only snag is that Gendry would be a true Baratheon rather than a Targ which seems against Vary's MO of wanting the Targ's back on the throne. If Gendry is the replacement Aegon then I don't see how Vary's could be behind this plot. But if Vary's is not behind this plot then his role in the story as a puppet pulling strings is somewhat diminished considering he without said puppet to pull.

Gendry in the books and on the show is at least 1/8 Targaryen, because Robert was 1/4 (his grandmother Rhaelle was a daughter of Aegon V).

If they try to make Gendry's mother Cersei on the show, I'm not sure how I'll take it, though. Cannot stand Cers even though Lena's really done a fantastic job humanizing her. I'd like to think Gen's mum is a bit more human than the lionness.

Gendry said that his mother died when he was little. Does he actually remember her dying though, we don't know.

In the books, at least, he says that his mother used to threaten him with beatings from his father if he were around. In accordance with the theory of this thread, however, one could suppose that his "mother" was just a woman who raised him, rather than a biological parent.

But If Gendry did have a claim to the throne and wasn't a bastard, do you think people would start supporting him over Stannis, Dany, and Jon if R + L = J?

Most of Westeros doesn't like Stannis, Dany is far away (Although once she returns with her dragons...), and I am not sure what proof there would be for R+L=J that people will find convincing. Not that there is proof if Gendry is Robert and Cersei's kid either.

Most of Westeros doesn't like Stannis, Dany is far away (Although once she returns with her dragons...), and I am not sure what proof there would be for R+L=J that people will find convincing. Not that there is proof if Gendry is Robert and Cersei's kid either.

True, but I'm also talking about the fandom itself. If Gendry and Jon weren't bastards and I guess we can include Aegon on this, who would you support Dany, Jon, Aegon, Stannis, or Gendry? Because I honestly cannot choose between the 5 of them.

I never understood the point of that Cersei's story anyway. I wonder if the showrunners had something in mind back in season 1.

The point of the story is to reinforce the "Seed is Strong" notion. It shows that Robert's children even with the Lannister Lion Blonde Cercei are dark haired. So making it quite clear to those who've researched the Baratheon family tree (as Ned did in the Big Book of Westeros Noble Houses) that Joffery was clearly not Baratheon.

• 1 month later...

Good question...someone help me, but I think it was either revealed or hinted at on the show that it was Varys who smuggled Gendry away from his blacksmith boss, and "planted" him with Yoren to join the NightsWatch during the time the "bastards" were all being killed by the City Watch? If so, why would Varys be involved unless he knows something more about Gendry other than just being another of Roberts bastards? Idk...

I beleve that your are right it was hinted that Varys had Gendry kick out to get him out King Landing

Cersei also has all of Roberts bastard children searched for and killed so she would not have sent guards after gendry if she truly thought he was still alive. My other thought is that even if she believed he was alive Cersei would have him killed to protect hers and jamies secret (not giving away anymore incase people read this thread who only watched series) or would have him killed to protect tommens claim to the throne?

In the books Cersei did that had Roberts's bastards killed but the show in was Joffery alone. the show it own animal I think try not make Cersi such bitch in the show. In books she had all Roberts killed because she hated Robert (her husband)

Jaime supposedly had Cersie cleansed, what if the midwife who took the baby - premature and the baby (the seed is strong) miraculously was alive and breathed on its own and was raised for a while in secret because they could not kill a living baby. Jaime and Cersei presume it dead but not. Something like that would make sense but, so what? where is the proof?, Jon will have Howland Reed or a dragon egg hatch or something but Gendry, yeah, known Bastard of Bob but his mother at this point?. Too late.

Archived