Small Questions v.10095

Jon Weirgaryen

Just a small question I'm not sure of. Were Illyrio and Doran working together?

It seems to me that Illyrio doesn't give a shit about Doran's plan.

There is an SSM confirming that Illyrio and Varys were not aware of the marriage contract between Martel and Darry. Assuming Aegon is a Blackfyre, the most important reason to cover him in rust is to gain the support of Targaryen loyalists, primarily Martel. Then it would stand to reason that Varys has been playing Doran. But as the Arianne spoiler suggests...

Doran apparently had no idea of Aegon's alleged survival.

I don't know who Ran is, but I suppose a happenstance meeting on the road is a decent enough explanation. Not that it really matters, it's just kinda weird for the story to point out all these "last time I saw X's" and leave that out.

I'm starting on my 3rd re-read of the series and trying to pay more attention to detail, and it's been interesting. For example, I've always wondered how Jon "heard" Ghost puppy when they were headed away from dead mamawolf when Ghost is mute, and just now put 2 and 2 together that he was "hearing" him through their warginess.

In A Clash of Kings, when Dolorous Ed is boiling eggs and talking to Jon, he adds a pinch of nutmeg. Why? Why would he do such a thing? Am I missing out on a boiled egg taste sensation here?

It might be something chemical that make the shells easier to remove.

Is there a solid date or time frame as to when Lord Armond Connington died and Jon Conn took over the lordship?

Jon Connington ruled Griffin's Roost for an unknown amount of years before his exile in early 283 AC. When Rhaegar visited Dorne, he stopped at Griffin's Roost upon his return. This could have been because of his betrothal to Elia (early 279 AC), but not necessarily.

So an exact date (or range of dates), is hard to give, I think.. Because we don't know the reason of Rhaegar's visit to Dorne..

It sounds likely to have been for Rhaegar's betrothal/upcomming marriage, imo. Which would make Jon a Lord on his own for a few years before his exile.

From Wikitravel

This is the real way to see Kyrgyzstan by the saddle of a horse (...) as the Kyrgyz are famous horsemen dating back to the days of Ghengis Khan. It is said that all Kyrgyz are born on a horse

That sounds kinda Dothraki to me :cool4:

To what degree are the Martells "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"? When the Targaryens were defeated, did they bend the knee? Did they swear an oath to the King, or as a 'Prince' is that not necessary? Does it only apply to the Lords Paramount?

How many giants do you estimate were in the Free Folk's numbers under Mance?

How strong would Lys, Myr, and Tyrosh be, if they banded together again? Enough to pose a serious threat to Westeros, if they were to invade?

To what degree are the Martells "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"? When the Targaryens were defeated, did they bend the knee? Did they swear an oath to the King, or as a 'Prince' is that not necessary? Does it only apply to the Lords Paramount?

How many giants do you estimate were in the Free Folk's numbers under Mance?

How strong would Lys, Myr, and Tyrosh be, if they banded together again? Enough to pose a serious threat to Westeros, if they were to invade?

1. Aegon couldnt conquer Dorne. Daeron I occupied it but never subdued it. Daeron II brought them into the realm through negotiation capped by marriage. The retained the prince title. After Robert usurped the crown Oberyn attempted to raise Dorne for Viserys, but Jon Arryn negotiated a peace that surely involved some form of homage to the Iron Throne.

2. I'm pretty sure that's stated in the text, but I don't recallthe number.

3. They rely heavily on mercenaries, and Westeros is awfully big.

Archived