Small Questions v.10095

Jon Weirgaryen

"She had begged Ned not to go, not now, not after what had happened; everything had changed now, couldn't he see that? It was no use. He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing" (AGoT ch.14).

It's ambiguous. You could read it as her just wanting her family closer in the wake of tragedy, but I think the idea is that she had initially read a great deal into the "Stag killed a Direwolf" omen but allowed herself to be talked down and later felt the gods had confirmed her fears with Bran's "accident."

RumHam, thank you :love: , that was my understanding as well. However, it's difficult to keep the ambiguity in this translation, especially with "not now". In English "now" can mean both "at the present time" and "as a result of something", but in my native language you have to use two different words to express those meanings, so a girl needs to choose :D. I would have gone with "as a result" meaning ("not to go because of what happened"), but the translator went with "not to go at the present time".

Catelyn indeed felt uneasy about the "Stag killed Direwolf" omen, nevertheless she went out of her way to convince Ned to take the Hand job and to go to KL with half of the family. It's important to me to find out whether Bran's fall changed this attitude of hers or not. I thought it did ("don't go"), but according to the translation it didn't ("go, but later").

I've don't have the Word of Ice and Fire with me at the moment, during what period was the Faith of the Seven somewhat accepted in the Iron Islands?

While the Hoares ruled. The early Hoare kings had Andal wives. Wulfgar the Widowmaker permitted the building of the first sept on the Iron Islands (on Great Wyk). His great-grandson Horgan permitted the building of a sept on Old Wyk, which led to the sept being burnt down and the septon killed (and Horgan then going around killing drowned priests in retaliation). Harmund the Handsome (whose mother was Lelia Lannister) followed a version of the Faith of the Seven. Harmund was deposed and mutilated and his brother Hagon then denounced the faith and expelled the septons and septas and burned all of the septs.

The next mention of the Faith of the Seven is when Vickon Greyjoy became Lord, following Aegon's Conquest, and allowed the septons to return to the Iron Islands. His son Goren Greyjoy was then allowed to expel the septons by Aenys I, as reward for suppressing a rebellion. We're told there would not be another sept built on the Iron Islands for a century (which takes us to roughly after Dalton Greyjoy's reign).

So there was a decent amount of time during the reigns of the Hoares when the Faith was accepted (during Wulfgar's reign, his great-grandson Horgan's, and the three Harmunds'), as well as briefly after the Greyjoys took over after Aegon's Conquest, and from roughly Dalton Greyjoy's fall to the present

While the Hoares ruled. The early Hoare kings had Andal wives. Wulfgar the Widowmaker permitted the building of the first sept on the Iron Islands (on Great Wyk). His great-grandson Horgan permitted the building of a sept on Old Wyk, which led to the sept being burnt down and the septon killed (and Horgan then going around killing drowned priests in retaliation). Harmund the Handsome (whose mother was Lelia Lannister) followed a version of the Faith of the Seven. Harmund was deposed and mutilated and his brother Hagon then denounced the faith and expelled the septons and septas and burned all of the septs.

The next mention of the Faith of the Seven is when Vickon Greyjoy became Lord, following Aegon's Conquest, and allowed the septons to return to the Iron Islands. His son Goren Greyjoy was then allowed to expel the septons by Aenys I, as reward for suppressing a rebellion. We're told there would not be another sept built on the Iron Islands for a century (which takes us to roughly after Dalton Greyjoy's reign).

So there was a decent amount of time during the reigns of the Hoares when the Faith was accepted (during Wulfgar's reign, his great-grandson Horgan's, and the three Harmunds'), as well as briefly after the Greyjoys took over after Aegon's Conquest, and from roughly Dalton Greyjoy's fall to the present

Thank you, much appreciated :)

Are bastard names given only to noble bastards? Or all bastards?

Just noble right.

One parent must be a noble person.

Commonfolk may or may not have names. Usually they don't, but there are a few exceptions. No need for bastard names, as bastards will be as common as other commoners...

Braavos doesn't have any forest right? So where do they get their wood to build all their ships?

They import it. Braavos do have pine trees (forests) that cover the outlying islands but these are forbidden from being cut down as they act as windbreakers.

Thank you :)! Do you by any chance know how this passage was translated into you native language?

I googled it for you (I only have the english books). It has been translated very literally. Comparing the translation to the english, I wouldn't be able to make any distinction in whether she meant "not for the time being" or "not ever".

It isn't mentioned as far as I recall. Although we do have this quote from Leaf:

“I was born in the time of the dragon, and for two hundred years I walked the world of men, to watch and listen and learn. I might be walking still, but my legs were sore and my heart was weary, so I turned my feet for home.”

I doubt that The Wall is warded against the CoTF. In fact, I think The Wall's warding was done by the CoTF. The warding at the cave where Bran and co. are seems similar, if not the same, as The Wall.

Ah, thank you for this. I had completely forgot about Leaf's wanderings-

Why did Myrcella agree to be a part of Arianne's plan in the first place? Or Arianne was basically kidnapping Myrcella to reveal her as queen later?

I don't have Feast with me now and don't want to start a new thread.

She didn't have much choice. She was alone in Dorne , hundreds of miles from Lannister army. They could threaten her or torture her or kill her if she didn't do what they wanted. She is smart enough to realize that her situation is difficult.

She didn't have much choice. She was alone in Dorne , hundreds of miles from Lannister army. They could threaten her or torture her or kill her if she didn't do what they wanted. She is smart enough to realize that her situation is difficult.

I don't think she thought her situation was that difficult. They wouldn't dare to threaten Myrcella, at least not now.

New Question: Do we know for sure whether Stannis knows that Melisandre glamoured the Mance?

Didn't we just do this recently? Yes, he knows.

“Our false king has a prickly manner,” Melisandre told Jon Snow, “but he will not betray you. We

hold his son, remember. And he owes you his very life.”

“Me?” Snow sounded startled. “Who else, my lord? Only his life’s blood could pay for his crimes,

your laws said, and Stannis Baratheon is not a man to go against the law … but as you said so sagely, the

laws of men end at the Wall.

Why did Myrcella agree to be a part of Arianne's plan in the first place? Or Arianne was basically kidnapping Myrcella to reveal her as queen later?

I don't have Feast with me now and don't want to start a new thread.

Because Tyrion had told Myrcella to do whatever Ser Arys told her. And Myrcella listened.

“How much does the child know?”

“Little enough. Before we left King’s Landing, her uncle reminded her that I was her protector and that any commands that I might give her were meant to keep her safe. She has heard them in the streets as well, shouting out for vengeance. She knew this was no game. The girl is brave, and wise beyond her years. She did all I asked of her, and never asked a question.”

I could swear I've read something about Euron Greyjoy that said he would kill one of his own sons to prove he had no fear of something something (I don't remember what, exactly). But now I can't find any mention of it anywhere. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Was it about another character, and not Euron?

Archived