Family, Duty, Honor: The Catelyn re-read project Part Two - Clash & Storm

LordStoneheart

Very nice job ShadowCat!

I agree that this is a transition type of chapter and is really gearing up the reader for some future events (I always do a double take when I read that Robb is at House Westerling for the moment...)

The men always come across as so confident--arrogant, even. They are partying and singing and drinking and Edmure's boast that he shall not let Hoster down is full of manly pride. Cat is worried and--logically--who wouldn't be?? It's war. Any one battle, any one death, any one outcome can shift the balance. That's why I love Cat's line at the end of the chapter. Winning a battle here or there doesn't amount too much until the very end. It's not over until it's over, and so this sense of revelry that permeates the Riverrun base of operations would be 1) annoying and 2) not at all inspiring.

Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Lady. 'Tis a lot of hats.

What strikes me in this chapter about all the bastard talk is that there is no bitterness in Cat toward either Ned for breaking his vows, toward Jon for being the consequence of those broken vows, or for the mother who shared her Lord's bed. At this point both Cat and this "other woman" have lost Ned and Cat actually pauses to wonder if the other woman mourns Ned in the same way she does (or, yes, angry with him). She thinks that these thoughts are "futile"--what does it matter anymore? Your perspective on things that bothered you before change when there is a massive upheaval in life--war, death of a husband, your son becoming king, and your daughters maybe being lost to you forever.

And, as always, I am struck by the sheer tragedy of the fact that there is no "other woman" at least not the way Cat envisions.

Misc Notes

1. I really adore Brienne. There are some interesting Sansa and Arya parallels here with her as she walks around with Cat. For Arya: Brienne pats the hilt of her sword (Arya does this constantly with Needle to assure herself that she is safe or before she enters a new situation); Brienne is dressed in leathers and mail instead of dresses, something Arya would prefer as well. But yet Brienne obviously has fond memories of singers and the songs they sing--and when Brienne speaks of these things, Cat is reminded of Sansa.

Thanks, BearQueen!

The multiple roles, that each impose different and often conflicting duties are THE subject of the next chapter, and I think it's very fitting that the author had us have a taste before the main course, so to say. It prepares the ground for an unlikely understanding between two enemies whose perspective has been forcefully re-oriented.

Loss has such a terrible power to change a person's perspective. Cat can now think of Jon's mother in the same way she could think of Cersei back in the village Sept: as a woman with whom she shares common worries, pain, disillusionment, even anger; as one she can empathize.

I also think that this line regarding Edric Storm, "A bastard’s claim? No, it’s something else... [...]" could be an indication that her concern about Jon as a potential threat to her children's rights was (is) more than anything else (it is still an existing issue though), a rationalization of her more important worries that are, basically, the shadow of Jon's mother.

Brienne is a wonderful character and a trully lovely "person". I agree she's a link to both her daughters, those details that you picked are really telling.

I think that Catelyn has found a crack in her "walls" and she's starting to touch her scars. “Someday you must sing for me.”, I found this line very emotionally loaded, someone is asking her, and appreciating, this kind of gifts she has to offer...

Whether by design or due to adherence to the POV structure, we have witnessed a number of battles in a song of ice and fire from the sidelines, contrary to conventional wisdom which usually mandates the reader to be placed in the thick of the action. Catelyn has been at the forefront of chapters such as this, with Sansa to a lesser extent with the battle of the Blackwater. Lesser due to the fact that we had two other POV's monitoring events as well. I hope that Martin does not give up on that practice, because these chapters have a palpable tension, akin to submarine movies that are being bombed with depth charges or to the waiting room outside surgery, where hope of living through it unscathed balance against the anticipation of the hammer blow to fall. All due to events being played outside our immediate experience.

In this case it lasts for days and distractions are needed. Kids play and the men gather in the hall to sing of past victories and steel themselves against the anticipation, until news of victory arrive. Yet any relief is undercut by that final "why am I, so afraid?". Indeed, in the midst of revelry we know that Winterfell has fallen, the Tyrells have allied themselves with the Lannisters, Tywin is marching to the Blackwater and Robb is about to marry Jeyne Westerling. The seeds of destruction are shown.

For Catelyn that leads to contemplation of duty and where that duty lies. There are two contradictory statements. At first there is the recounting of doing her duty as young girl with a bit of bitterness. Cat's enforced role has started to chafe at her. And yet at the same time there is longing for the advice of those older and wiser than her, whose absence is more apparent when there are so many questions. Then we have consideration of both Ned and Courtney Penrose, men who sacrificed for children. And finally after her discussion with Brienne about who is supposed to protect her, the realization in a strange echo of Jaime's that there is only her.

Very nice job, my tenebrous feline friend.

What I'm looking at right now is the general shape of Clash, and the current chapter's placement. Unlike Cat IV, this one is very lacking in magic... but the chapters before and after each have their connection to it. Davos watches Melisandre birth Stannis' shadow child, and Jon hears about Mance searching for his ancient artifact. Tyrion and Varys have their conversation about magic right before Cat IV including a mention of a Faceless Man, and then Bran is dreaming through Summer after. Arya sees Jaqen work his Faceless magic, then Daenerys takes her trip through the House of the Undying, and finally Tyrion hears about the jars of wildfire and a mention is made of magic fading when the last dragon died.

In the middle of all this, Catelyn is at Riverrun without a big tie to magic. Of course, she already had her run in with magic previously. She is at a middle point amidst all these story lines. At that moment in time, she is waiting again for a battle and doesn't have immediate matters of her own besides her father. Her neutral status here may just be nothing, but since its a little past the halfway point I just thought I'd make take a look at how the story is progressing since in theory, Clash is actually the middle part of "book one."

Fantastic work as always ShadowCat! Everyone’s subsequent observations have also been very enlightening.

I’m happy you pointed out the idea that Clash acts as a halfway point for “book one” LordStoneheart. Considering the plot in the terms of GRRM’s original outline (book one ending with the RW) would unquestionably lead to some fruitful analysis. On that note, when thinking about the progression thus far I wanted to foot stomp what ShadowCat began talking about and also attempt to draw it out a little bit further: the notion of Cat acting as a “center” for the story.

Cat as a Center

Cat is a center in many ways at this point. It’s ironic that we find ourselves not only in the vicinity of the center of “book one” but that we also find ourselves with Cat, anchoring the plot and the characters and even the geography of the story. In Cat VI Cat is afraid. Even when everything is going her way she has an impending sense of doom. This is because Cat more than anyone else in the series embodies good sense. We could argue that Cat is the most logically sound character in the story, her actions generally guided by a careful analysis of the circumstances, and weighed against their outcomes.

I’ve heard the complaint countless times that Cat’s chapters are boring. What these readers fail to grasp seems to stem from the fact that Cat’s chapters (almost always) act to ground the reader. LordStoneheart pointed out that with the exception of Renly’s death (which Cat acted incredibly quickly and sensibly about) Cat’s chapters are largely without magic. Her chapters are a big part of what keeps a sense of realism in the plot, and an investment in believable characters and plights despite fantastic elements. While everyone else is celebrating small victories Cat is concerning herself with the war as a whole. She comes across as pessimistic and depressing to the average reader, but in reality she is at times the only voice of reason we have on this wild and magical journey.

Cat is also the dead center of the ideological spectrum. Rarely to never are her actions guided by a commitment to an ideology, which can range extremely among the rest of the characters (look at Stannis and his host guided by R’hllor, or the Northmen who fight to establish a King in the North). Cat would much rather a truce be made, her sons and daughters alive and for the war to end than see her son wear a bronze crown. Readers will typically flock to the extremists, because in their radicalism they are more “fun” to read about than the level-headed, down to earth woman whose voice is squashed and her wisdom written off as emotion.

This theme of Cat acting as an anchor point for the story is also made physical at this point with her presence in Riverrun. With Dany to the far east, Jon in the far north, warring in the west and so much happening in King’s Landing to the south (southeast) Cat represents a geographical center as well. Knowingly or not, the reader is returned to a middle ground with each Cat chapter, one from which they can reorient themselves before vaulting off to another extreme.

Restlessness

One other quick thing I wanted to touch on was this mounting sense of restlessness. If we wanted to really trace it back I would argue that this inescapable feeling has been growing ever since Cat joined up with Robb and his host in AGOT, and was first really made tangible in the Battle of the Whispering Wood chapter. Cat was given something of a reprieve from it when she went to parlay with Renly, but even then she was loathe to do the task and felt her strengths could be better put to use. Here again in ACOK Cat VI it sneaks back to the forefront of the reader’s psyche, with this wonderful line that ShadowCat pointed out:

“You don’t feel so helpless when you fight.”

And here is perhaps one of the biggest insights regarding Cat’s actions in the final Clash chapter. “Fighting” can take many forms, and it’s perhaps the actions taken without ever donning armor that have the biggest impact… but more to come on that soon. :D

I like the idea of Cat as a center, Bastardly!

Cat is very much a plot locomotive for "Act I" of the series, always in the thick of events and always mediating between the reader and her universe.

I also think it's interesting in regards to magic, that her arc starts and ends in the cut-point between magic and politics: the ominous direwolf killed by the stag announcing the start of the Wot5K cycle and her death at the Red Wedding, leading to her rise as Stoneheart and pulling the closing curtain.

• 2 weeks later...

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII: A Mothers Sorrow

Summary
Catelyn and Brienne sit in the Great Hall of Riverrun while outside a celebration of Edmure's victory goes on. Eventually, Catelyn is able to open up to Brienne the news from Winterfell. Bran and Rickon have been slain by Theon Greyjoy and their heads have been mounted above the walls. Catelyn finally gives into her grief and weeps.
She tells Brienne to meet her at midnight. They go the dungeon where Jaime is being held and Catelyn has a lengthy conversation about truth, some history, vows, honor, and fidelity. The chapter ends with Catelyn asking for Brienne's sword.

Analysis

Catelyn's grief

...and for me, all hours are midnight.

Contrasted to the backdrop of a big celebration, this chapter begins with a very lonely tone. We see Catelyn at what I'd say is her lowest point in her grief so far, even toying with denial. Back when it was Ned, she didn't appear to have the same trouble accepting it. And strangely, she is self-aware about her denial. It's an internal fight with her inner voice that wants to make her accept the truth.

She had not meant to tell Brienne. No one but her and Maester Vyman knew, and she had meant to keep it that way until... until...

Until what? Foolish woman, will holding it secret in your heart make it less true?

What she is accepting of right away is how bleak she has become in the face of all this turmoil

I am become a sour woman, Catelyn thought. I take no joy in mead nor meat, and song and laughter have become strangers to me. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my heart once was.

She tells Brienne about the death of Bran and Rickon in order for her to accept it herself.

I have said it and made it true.

I believe this is the first time we actually see Catelyn cry

Brienne's face is was a watery blur

This is related to two previous discussions we've had. The comparison of Catelyn and Alyssa Arryn who never shed a tear for her family, and how Catelyn thinks she is a good mourner but so far hasn't truly mourned as well as she thinks. Two chapters before, she sees Eddard's bones and we get a lovely, romantic passage as she looks at them but it still seems as if the mourning was not on screen, so to speak.

In this chapter, Catelyn is in grief, and not just in private. Brienne is here and while she is not an unwelcome figure, there is a bit of a barrier between them. This is the closest Catelyn and Brienne have and will become. That they shared this moment, even with the barrier, is probably a big factor in Brienne's later arc of oath keeping.

She reached across the table, but her finger's stopped short of Catelyn's, as if the touch might be unwelcome.

There's also a parallel between them when Brienne says "I am not made for revels," just as Catelyn is now a stranger to song and laughter. Cat lashes out and it's coupled with her mixed feelings of faith, both of which we've seen before.

"Your sons, they... they are with the gods now."
"Are they?" she said sharply. "What god would let this happen?

The sadness leads her into a quick topic change, from Bran and Rickon's death to a lovely and heartbreaking description of her daughters that really shows the motherly side of her.

Sansa was a lady at three, always so courteous and eager to please. She loved nothing so well as tales of knightly valor. Men would say she had my look, but she will grow into a woman far more beautiful than I ever was, you can see that. I often sent away her maid so I could brush her hair myself. She had auburn hair, lighter than mine, and so thick and soft... the red in it would catch the light of the torches and shine like copper.
And Arya, well... Ned's visitors would oft mistake her for a stableboy if they rode into the yard unannounced. Arya was a trial, it must be said. Half a boy and half a wolf pup. Forbid her anything and it became her hearts desire. She had Ned's long face, and brown hair that always looked as though a bird had been nesting in it. I despaired of ever making a lady of her. She collected scabs as other girls collect dolls, and would say anything that came into her head. I think she must be dead too." When she said that, it felt as though a giant hand were squeezing her chest.

Elsewhere I've seen it said that Catelyn's description of Arya was somehow an "oppressing" one rather than just custom. We know Arya and we know how complicated can be, bless her heart. Cat's description here is spot on and to me shows how much Cat knew her and not necessarily wanted to change her. Of course, Catelyn would have certain expectations of Arya, the same as Ned actually, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Catelyn's wolf-blood

The hand squeezing her chest comment leads into Catelyn's quickly growing ache for revenge. Here are what I thought were the most evident passages.

"I want them all dead, Brienne. Theon Greyjoy first, then Jaime Lannister and Cersei and the Imp, every one, every one. But my girls... my girls will...
Ned always said that the man who passes the sentence should swing the blade, though he never took any joy in the duty. But I would, oh, yes. She stared at her scarred hands, opened and closed them, then slowly raised her eyes.

I hope you're thirsty, Jaime. I hope your throat is dry and tight.

If I had a knife, I would kill him now, she though, until she remembered the girls.

"On my honor as a Lannister."
"Your honor as a Lannister is worth less than this." She kicked over the waste pail. Foul-smelling brown ooze crept across the floor of the cell, soaking into the straw.

I hate to bring to show into this, but I did always like the scene where Jaime tells Cat "You've become a real She-Wolf in your life, haven't you? There's not much fish left in you."
"And gag him!"

Audience with the Kingslayer:

Midnight has come, Father, and I must do my duty.

Now we come to one of the most famous, often talked about, and controversial scenes. Catelyn speak with Jaime about a few different subjects, and I'll try to cover most of them. I quoted the above to point out that duty and family were both on Catelyn's mind during this section. There's a small element of attraction here, mutual by both parties it seems.

His unwashed hair feel to his shoulders in ropes and tangles, his face was pale and wasted... and even so, the power and the beauty of the man were still apparent.

No? Then surely it was to have your pleasure of me? Its said that widows grow weary of their empty beds. We of the Kingsguard vow never to wed, but I suppose I could still service you if that's what you need. Pour us some of that wine and slip out of that gown and well see if I'm up to it."

Catelyn stared down at him. Was there ever a man as beautiful or as vile as this one?

Truth

"Oh, it's truth you want? Be careful, my lady. Tyrion says that people often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served."
"I am strong enough to hear anything you have to say."

I find it interesting that the first thing she asks about is Joffrey's parentage even though the reason she is here is because of her children and she is trying not to waste time. In this succession war, it's a pragmatic truth to seek out in case of any benefits to the knowledge. There's a reveal here that looks like "truth" to Jaime and atrocity to Catelyn and well, most people.

"You were a knight, sworn to defend the weak and innocent."
"He was weak enough, but perhaps not so innocent. He was spying on us."

Clearly, that's not the case. Catelyn doesn't know but we as readers know its just Jaime trying to moralize attempting to murder a child. (Sorry Bastardly, ;) )

Catelyn finally gets a clear answer on the dagger through partly her own realization of her past error, and Jaime's story matching Tyrion's. She realizes that Tyrion didn't bet against Jaime, possibly because of the doubt she showed on the road to the Vale, and also realizes that Tyrion and Jaime told the same story despite not seeing each other since Winterfell.

Somewhere there was a trap here.

At this point in the story, we don't know (or at least aren't supposed to know) that Petyr has been working against both factions since the beginning. She has realized that there is something suspicious with him, but with only Tyrion's and Jaime's story about the dagger, she can't really factor out what has really been going on or why.

History

"Dead is dead." I do not want to know this tale.

I think Catelyn maybe be lying to herself here. Brandon Stark does show up in her mind every now and then. I don't think she really wants all the gruesome details of Aerys' treatment of the Starks but perhaps she wants some closure, for she doesn't stop him from telling her.

"Aerys..." Catelyn could taste the bile at the back of her throat. The story was so hideous she suspected it had to be true.

Cat's reaction to the details is apparent but not so much how it affects her judgment of Jaime killing Aerys. Just as in the Eddard chapter where Sandor rides in with the body of Mycah, we don't really get the internal thoughts. Eddard's reaction to the boy's murder is really our reaction, and here I think that might be the case. Many readers believe killing Aerys was the clear cut right choice.
Cat doesn't "scorn the arse sittting on Robert's throne." She only voices that she doesn't find him amusing. All of this is rooted in the big theme.

Vows

One of the most cited conversations in discussions about vows and honor is right here, in a shit-filled cell in the bowels of Riverrun.

How can you still count yourself a knight, when you have forsaken every vow you ever swore?
Jaime reached for the flagon to refill his cup. So many vows... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. Its too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other. He took a healthy swallow of wine and closed his eyes for an instant, leaning his head back against the patch of nitre on the wall. I was the youngest man ever to wear the white cloak.
And the youngest to betray all it stood for, Kingslayer.

Now, this is a very important passage for Jaime's character but I was contemplating not including it for our Catelyn-centered reread. But then I remembered what Catelyn told her father.

Catelyn is acting on behalf of her children Sansa and Arya by releasing Jaime, and in her mind it's also duty. But how? With Bran and Rickon gone, there is only one Stark left as heir to Winterfell, one who isn't in the Lannister hands. Robb's war has just suffered a serious blow with the Ironborn in the north, Tywin headed back towards King's Landing, Stannis with the Stormlands, the Tyrells in limbo, and Dorne with the Lannister betrothal. Cat is well aware of their terrible standing.

I keep remembering the Stark words. Winter has come, Father. For me. For me. Robb must fight the Greyjoys now as well as the Lannisters, and for what? For a gold hat and an iron chair? Surely the land has bled enough. I want my girls back, I want Robb to lay down his sword and pick some homely daughter of Walder Frey to make him happy and give him sons. I want Bran and Rickon back, I want... Catelyn hung her head. I want, she said once more, and then her words were gone.

Cat is thinking of Family and Duty here, and it is a hard decision. One that really has no easy answer. Her daughters are hostages, at least one is, and their holding of Jaime has proved completely useless. Robb has been highly indecisive with him, and has been pulling away from her advice. With her grim outlook on the tide of the war mixed with her grief in having her world torn apart, husband and children dead, she chooses Family foremost, with a suggestion that it is also her duty and all while full well knowing she might lose honor (as we'll see in her next chapter.)

"Cliffhanger," The Release

"Give me your sword."

Did anyone think Jaime was actually in danger? :)

Cleos Frey's testimony

Let's backtrack one Cat chapter. She uses the wine trick to interrogate Cleos Frey.

When he was done, Catelyn sat frowning. Edmure had been right, these were no terms at all, except Lannister will exchange Arya and Sansa for his brother?
Yes. He sat on the Iron Throne and swore it.
Before witnesses?
Before all the court, my lady. And the gods as well. I said as much to Ser Edmure, but he told me it was not possible, that His Grace Robb would never consent.

Catelyn's decision was after this. Tyrion's exact words were:

"Until such time as he frees my brother Jaime, unharmed, they shall remain here as hostages."

It was not a baseless decision.

Tywin's actions

I'm going to refer to a comment made by Ran/Elio Garcia about Tywin's actions during Jaime's captivity.

You know what's unequal?

People ignoring the fact that Jaime's status at a hostage did nothing whatsoever to change Tywin's campaign efforts. Nothing. He was not intimidated by their holding Jaime.

He tried to force the crossing of the Red Fork with Jaime in their hands.

He razed the riverlands from the Green Fork to the Red Fork with Jaime in their hands.

He married off Sansa to Tyrion, not concerned about how Robb might take it, what they might do to Jaime in a punitive way, with Jaime in ther hands.

He plotted the Red Wedding with Walder Frey and Roose Bolton, with Jaime in their hands.

Jaime was a worthless hostage. Robb held him with the tiny hope that somehow he wouldn't be worthless, that something would come along to make him worthwhile, and also in large part out of a personal sense of revenge and hate towards the Lannisters, frankly, which was unworthy in a king, but understandable in a person. But understandable does not make right. Catelyn was not "right" to take Tyrion from our god-like nigh-omniscient perspective, but her choice was understandable within the context of the information she had and the legitimate fears she held.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII: A Mothers Sorrow

Excellent job Lord Stoneheart! This is easily my favorite Cat chapter so I've eagerly been anticipating getting to this one. You did a very nice job with a highly complex chapter.

So, small confession here, but Jaime Lannister is actually in my top 10 favorite ASOIAF characters (don't shun me!) and this is the chapter that really made me take a step back and realize that there is something more to him, more than what I had thought. The conversation between him and Cat is just so rich. There is so much being said and not said that both characters come away better for it--Cat being able to play Jaime into confessing a lot, Jaime's hitting a lot of GRRM's themes on the head like honor, duty, family (hm. Interesting that it's CAT he has this conversation with, no?).

Contrasted to the backdrop of a big celebration, this chapter begins with a very lonely tone.

Grief takes on many forms and like we've been examining all along, Cat once again has some parallels to Alyssa Arryn who could not weep. Grief can make you numb, to the point where you shut down and are unable to express what might incorrectly be termed the "right" way to mourn. We expect hair tearing and wails and moans, but often times grief is a very quiet and a semi-private affair and never more here with Cat who tells Brienne almost clinically about Bran and Rickon.

Early in the chapter Cat notes that Brienne eats as if it were a chore--something that must be done but not something that elicits any sort of emotion or satisfaction. It's the same with Cat's telling of her children. It's done because it must be done but Cat's internal self is almost shut down with the weight of the grief.

Also, this line stands out as a huge RED flag for what is to come (actually, there were quite a number of foreshadowing things in this chapter, eh?): I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place iwthin me where my heart once was. *ahem* A certain Lady comes to mind.

I believe this is the first time we actually see Catelyn cry

Brienne's face is was a watery blur

But do the tears actually spill? Eyes can fill with tears without actually crying. As soon as that above line passes, we do not read about her tears anymore, as if she is restraining them again.

In this chapter, Catelyn is in grief, and not just in private. Brienne is here and while she is not an unwelcome figure, there is a bit of a barrier between them. This is the closest Catelyn and Brienne have and will become. That they shared this moment, even with the barrier, is probably a big factor in Brienne's later arc of oath keeping.

She reached across the table, but her finger's stopped short of Catelyn's, as if the touch might be unwelcome.

I think Brienne's reaction is very much what our reaction would be. A woman we barely know has just told you something she hasn't told anyone else--namely something horrifically tragic like that her sons are dead. How would we react? We'd probably be tongue tied and awkward and fumbling with how to proceed.

Elsewhere I've seen it said that Catelyn's description of Arya was somehow an "oppressing" one rather than just custom. We know Arya and we know how complicated can be, bless her heart. Cat's description here is spot on and to me shows how much Cat knew her and not necessarily wanted to change her. Of course, Catelyn would have certain expectations of Arya, the same as Ned actually, but that's nothing out of the ordinary.

I've never seen Cat as oppressive. Arya is the oddity that proves the rule, in my book. Young ladies born to such high stations have expectations. It's the way of the world GRRM built (and the historical one from which he draws). Cat was raised to be a lady, her mother was raised to be a lady, she raised Sansa to be a lady. But that doesn't mean that Cat did not understand her daughter or not love her. I think you're right. This bit shows just how well Cat does know her children--all of them. From thinking about Sansa's romantic side to Arya's wildness to Bran's climbing. She knows her children. And, from any historical perspective, even to our own, I think Arya would be a handful. It's not being cruel or oppressive to call a spade a spade. Arya was difficult.

I hate to bring to show into this, but I did always like the scene where Jaime tells Cat "You've become a real She-Wolf in your life, haven't you? There's not much fish left in you."

"And gag him!"

Lol, yup.

Speaking of...I just watched his chapter scene in the show and I must say, they sold it rather short didn't they. They got some of the points (the speech about oaths) for instance and Jaime rubbing Ned in Cat's face, and a sly introduction to Jaime/Brienne, but there was quite a lot they cut. Shame.

"Oh, it's truth you want? Be careful, my lady. Tyrion says that people often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served."

"I am strong enough to hear anything you have to say."

I find it interesting that the first thing she asks about is Joffrey's parentage even though the reason she is here is because of her children and she is trying not to waste time. In this succession war, it's a pragmatic truth to seek out in case of any benefits to the knowledge. There's a reveal here that looks like "truth" to Jaime and atrocity to Catelyn and well, most people.

It also shows that Cat isn't solely ruled by her emotions, like some claim. Cat has sense to THINK (oh hey, that word) logically about what should come first, the realm, the kingship and succession.

Catelyn finally gets a clear answer on the dagger through partly her own realization of her past error, and Jaime's story matching Tyrion's. She realizes that Tyrion didn't bet against Jaime, possibly because of the doubt she showed on the road to the Vale, and also realizes that Tyrion and Jaime told the same story despite not seeing each other since Winterfell.

She also seems to reach a sort of conclusion about Petyr Baelish and how he has manipulated and played everyone, though she stops short of fully expressing it. It recalls her earlier conversation with Hoster before she goes to see Jaime in which she remembers when Petyr found her and Lysa, lost on the road, and led them home. GRRM was good at showing WHY Cat would trust Petry so much by giving us little stories (this one and the mud pies) that demonstrate that they were like brother and sister.

Cat's reaction to the details is apparent but not so much how it affects her judgment of Jaime killing Aerys. Just as in the Eddard chapter where Sandor rides in with the body of Mycah, we don't really get the internal thoughts. Eddard's reaction to the boy's murder is really our reaction, and here I think that might be the case. Many readers believe killing Aerys was the clear cut right choice.

Cat doesn't "scorn the arse sittting on Robert's throne." She only voices that she doesn't find him amusing. All of this is rooted in the big theme.

To step away from Cat for a second, this section is really Part One of "Justification of Jaime" in which we realize that Ned's no hold bar judgement against Jaime is the simple way to look at it, for the real story is incredibly complex. We are told early on that Aerys was mad, but this is the first real look at just how mad the Targaryen king was. Part Two is the bath house scene where we realize that the act that follows Jaime around and haunts him is probably one of the most knightly and heroic acts a knight could do--he literally saved thousands, most of them weak and defenseless. He upheld one part of the Knightly vows, but had to break the KG vow to do so. That's why I love his "oath" speech so much; it nicely sets up Jaime's main internal conflict over which vows he is supposed to keep.

Now, this is a very important passage for Jaime's character but I was contemplating not including it for our Catelyn-centered reread. But then I remembered what Catelyn told her father.

Catelyn is acting on behalf of her children Sansa and Arya by releasing Jaime, and in her mind it's also duty. But how? With Bran and Rickon gone, there is only one Stark left as heir to Winterfell, one who isn't in the Lannister hands. Robb's war has just suffered a serious blow with the Ironborn in the north, Tywin headed back towards King's Landing, Stannis with the Stormlands, the Tyrells in limbo, and Dorne with the Lannister betrothal. Cat is well aware of their terrible standing

There is a bit of nice parallel here.

Jaime saves thousands by killing a king and breaking his KG vows.

Cat saves her girls but incurs the wrath of her own king (and son) by breaking a unspoken promise to not let the Lannister out of his cage.

Which oath mattered more: the one she made as a mother to protect her children or the unspoken one made to her son and king?

Which oath mattered more to Jaime: the one he made as a knight or the one he made as as KG?

"Give me your sword."

Did anyone think Jaime was actually in danger? :)

Um, yes. LOL. The first time I read the book I did. I was irked because I had just started to see a different layer to Jaime and wanted more of him.

Misc Notes

1. "There are no men like me. There's only me." Say what you will about Jaime, that's a killer line.

2. The unwavering loyalty of Gerold Hightower. Also known as: something very strange was happening at the TOJ clue#4714

The overwhelming impression I got from rereading this chapter was that of a mirror image to Lady Stoneheart. This is Cat having a very human reaction to grief and eventually choosing mercy compared to the inhuman merciless killing spree we'll see from unCat. The text seems to explicitly illustrate the contrast:

I take no joy in mead nor meat, and song and laughter have become suspicious strangers to me. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my heart was once.

Even the no joy from mead nor meat can be taken as an allusion to the undead not eating particularly with the appearance of stranger in the sentence. All of Cat's grief plays into the Lady Stoneheart theme with some lines seeming to be more literal references than others:

When Catelyn tried to speak, the words caught in her throat.

it felt as though a giant hand were squeezing her chest

I want them all dead, Brienne.

unCat toying with Robb's crown while Brienne is "on trial" is brought to mind by "For a gold hat and an iron chair?" The stone walls insulating her from celebration and human joy also conjure Lady Stoneheart.

The most interesting is the last line where she calls to Brienne for her sword which will be reversed as Brienne later makes her own request for a sword from Lady Stoneheart. Given Brienne and Jaime's last meeting it seems we'll have a bit of a replay of the impending scene this chapter never shows us.

There's also a Northern vs. Southron undertone. The imagery is dominated by Cat as a Tully and not a Stark-- or at least Cat turning to her Tully roots over he more recent adopted Starkhood. She is eating trout, it is her father's castle where she had been initially raised to rule until Edmure's birth, her father's empty high seat is between Cat and Brienne. Her father's blue veins seem to be rivers to her. She can hear the river through Jaime's cell. She thinks that Winter has Come for her in the beginning of the chapter, but that seems to carry the meaning of an ending for her and later she tells her sleeping father that I must do my duty-- Family, Duty, Honor.

The Starks do not use headsmen. Ned always said that the man who passes the sentence should swing the blade, though he never took any joy in the duty. But I would, oh, yes.” She stared at her scarred hands, opened and closed them, then slowly raised her eyes. “I’ve sent him wine.”

There is an inherent rejection of the whole idea behind First Men justice. Swinging the sword is supposed to make killing harder. The taking no pleasure is designed to lean toward justice over vengeance. This plays into the Lady Stoneheart theme but also helps serve to associate Cat in this chapter with the South and the Tullys rather than the North and the Starks.

Some of this makes sense psychologically. Cat was raised to rule in Riverrun, was respected and empowered to rule during her marriage to Ned and even left in charge of Winterfell while he was Hand. Robb is only sixteen a few days past so she has technically been Regent of the North and Riverlands since the end of GoT. She is usurping the choice of her father, her brother, her son and her king in freeing Jaime. I think her doing so is clearly a maternal choice, but I think the Tully regression plays into the strength to make this choice. After being faced with her Winter that came she will choose Family, Duty and Honor in that order.

This also sharply contrasts with Cersei's maternal role in wielding power. Cat is making a single play to force her son's hand in seeking peace that she knows will result in a loss of personal power. She knows her son and knows this war will be fought to a very bitter end. It goes back to her thinking Robb knows his men on the battlefield but her doubting if he knows their hearth and table issues. Robb lacks the trait Jon tells Aemon Ned possesses-- the ability to choose what is right rather than what is honorable as both Karstark's beheading and the Jeyne marriage seem to indicate.

The other North/South difference theme also comes in her not crying.

She managed those terrible words without a sob, and for that much she was glad.
Brienne looked at her with horror. “My lady?”

Jon will later note that the Wildlings coming through the Wall shed no tears which he attributes to being Winter's People. It is possible to read this as a Northern aspect of Cat though I see it more as connected to the Alyssa's Tears theme. I have a suspicion that unCat will die when she realizes her children are not dead and "cries" either literally or metaphorically. Of course that would require something to draw her and other Stark children to the Vale. I'm not looking to invite future speculation beyond suggesting that whatever end that might be probably has references somewhere in this chapter.

I think there's a case to draw comparisons between Cat's choice this chapter and Ned's choice to confess to save Sansa. I suppose that also indirectly invites comparing Ned's reaction of backing Cat when Robert confronted him with Tyrion's "kidnapping" to Robb's reaction to Cat's letting Jaime go, but that's a future chapter topic. These aren't direct parallels but the root value choices are the same. Would Ned trade Jaime for Sansa? I suspect yes (along with Karstark's eldest and others taken at the Greenfork.)

Thank you for a great essay. The verbal duelling between Catelyn and Jaime is fascinating. She may have made the wrong decision by releasing him, but it certainly wasn't a thoughtless decision. And, it took a good deal of courage for her to do so. In the subsequent chapter, Catelyn considers whether she'll be hanged for it.

We also learn, for the first time, that Jaime is not just an impetuous hothead. He's actually quite a clever psychologist. His first comment, about offering to bed her, is clearly intended to throw her off-balance.

So, small confession here, but Jaime Lannister is actually in my top 10 favorite ASOIAF characters (don't shun me!)

Oh, never. BastardlyRock loves Jaime and we get along. :)

But do the tears actually spill? Eyes can fill with tears without actually crying. As soon as that above line passes, we do not read about her tears anymore, as if she is restraining them again.

I suppose they can still be restrained tears, which would work better with Alyssa Arryn. But I figured the specific presence of watery eyes is a step closer to her working through her grief.

It also shows that Cat isn't solely ruled by her emotions, like some claim. Cat has sense to THINK (oh hey, that word) logically about what should come first, the realm, the kingship and succession.

Ah yes, the criticism that will never fade... Catelyn is human, and to an extent all of us are "ruled" by our emotions, but here she's getting information that's valuable to the realm as a whole.

She also seems to reach a sort of conclusion about Petyr Baelish and how he has manipulated and played everyone, though she stops short of fully expressing it. It recalls her earlier conversation with Hoster before she goes to see Jaime in which she remembers when Petyr found her and Lysa, lost on the road, and led them home. GRRM was good at showing WHY Cat would trust Petry so much by giving us little stories (this one and the mud pies) that demonstrate that they were like brother and sister.

Another all too often criticism, her trust of Petyr. I hadn't really caught this until you pointed it out, but yes, she has a lot of memories of them just being innocent little kids and how that would affect her judgment. Ned is the same way with Robert. And ultimately, this trust that seems to make sense to both characters end up being detrimental to them.

There is a bit of nice parallel here.

Jaime saves thousands by killing a king and breaking his KG vows.

Cat saves her girls but incurs the wrath of her own king (and son) by breaking a unspoken promise to not let the Lannister out of his cage.

Which oath mattered more: the one she made as a mother to protect her children or the unspoken one made to her son and king?

Which oath mattered more to Jaime: the one he made as a knight or the one he made as as KG?

I love this parallel, the sacrifice of honor for the sake of the innocent. And I'd say both have their criticisms that may or may not be fair. In Cat's case, did it cause any damage? (I definitely don't believe it would have affected the outcome of her and Robb's arc.) In Jaime's case, did it matter if he did not tell people about the other caches of wildfire that can apparently go off soon? Hopefully wildfire has an expiration date. :)

I love this parallel, the sacrifice of honor for the sake of the innocent. And I'd say both have their criticisms that may or may not be fair. In Cat's case, did it cause any damage? (I definitely don't believe it would have affected the outcome of her and Robb's arc.) In Jaime's case, did it matter if he did not tell people about the other caches of wildfire that can apparently go off soon? Hopefully wildfire has an expiration date. :)

Robb didn't hate Catelyn for what she did. But, their relationship had clearly deteriorated by the time of the Red Wedding. He'd basically dismissed her from her circle of advisers, and was sending her to Seagard for the duration of the war.

Welcome to the thread, Ragnorak, and thanks for the excellent comments!

The overwhelming impression I got from rereading this chapter was that of a mirror image to Lady Stoneheart. This is Cat having a very human reaction to grief and eventually choosing mercy compared to the inhuman merciless killing spree we'll see from unCat. The text seems to explicitly illustrate the contrast:

I think it has been building for a while, but this chapter looks like the clear first step in Catelyn's journey towards her later self. (I don't think we have a problem with future plot points/spoilers being mentioned, I just stayed away from Stoneheart to explore her grief in the current spot.)

The most interesting is the last line where she calls to Brienne for her sword which will be reversed as Brienne later makes her own request for a sword from Lady Stoneheart. Given Brienne and Jaime's last meeting it seems we'll have a bit of a replay of the impending scene this chapter never shows us.

These are some excellent parallels you point out, ones I'd never thought of. We'll definitely be sure to keep them in mind for later if we do a Brienne arc.

There's also a Northern vs. Southron undertone. The imagery is dominated by Cat as a Tully and not a Stark-- or at least Cat turning to her Tully roots over he more recent adopted Starkhood. She is eating trout, it is her father's castle where she had been initially raised to rule until Edmure's birth, her father's empty high seat is between Cat and Brienne. Her father's blue veins seem to be rivers to her. She can hear the river through Jaime's cell. She thinks that Winter has Come for her in the beginning of the chapter, but that seems to carry the meaning of an ending for her and later she tells her sleeping father that I must do my duty-- Family, Duty, Honor.

The Starks do not use headsmen. Ned always said that the man who passes the sentence should swing the blade, though he never took any joy in the duty. But I would, oh, yes.” She stared at her scarred hands, opened and closed them, then slowly raised her eyes. “I’ve sent him wine.”

There is an inherent rejection of the whole idea behind First Men justice. Swinging the sword is supposed to make killing harder. The taking no pleasure is designed to lean toward justice over vengeance. This plays into the Lady Stoneheart theme but also helps serve to associate Cat in this chapter with the South and the Tullys rather than the North and the Starks.

Some of this makes sense psychologically. Cat was raised to rule in Riverrun, was respected and empowered to rule during her marriage to Ned and even left in charge of Winterfell while he was Hand. Robb is only sixteen a few days past so she has technically been Regent of the North and Riverlands since the end of GoT. She is usurping the choice of her father, her brother, her son and her king in freeing Jaime. I think her doing so is clearly a maternal choice, but I think the Tully regression plays into the strength to make this choice. After being faced with her Winter that came she will choose Family, Duty and Honor in that order.

One of my favorite parts about our project thus far is exploring this northern vs southern theme in her narrative. The majority of her time is in the south, but she shows a lot of northern influence here and there. Kind of funny that I connected her need for revenge to her wolfblood and you to her southern roots. It makes me wonder about northern and southern honor and how different Eddard and Brandon were.

The other North/South difference theme also comes in her not crying.

She managed those terrible words without a sob, and for that much she was glad.
Brienne looked at her with horror. “My lady?”

Jon will later note that the Wildlings coming through the Wall shed no tears which he attributes to being Winter's People. It is possible to read this as a Northern aspect of Cat though I see it more as connected to the Alyssa's Tears theme. I have a suspicion that unCat will die when she realizes her children are not dead and "cries" either literally or metaphorically. Of course that would require something to draw her and other Stark children to the Vale. I'm not looking to invite future speculation beyond suggesting that whatever end that might be probably has references somewhere in this chapter.

That reminds me again of Eddard who thinks about Lyanna a lot and wants to weep. One thing I've spent a little time pondering is how much southern influence does Eddard truly have from Jon Arryn.

Some good speculation there, especially with the BWB currently looking for Arya and now with Brienne who is looking for Sansa.

Would Ned trade Jaime for Sansa? I suspect yes (along with Karstark's eldest and others taken at the Greenfork.)

Agreed.

Welcome to the thread, Ragnorak, and thanks for the excellent comments!

One of my favorite parts about our project thus far is exploring this northern vs southern theme in her narrative. The majority of her time is in the south, but she shows a lot of northern influence here and there. Kind of funny that I connected her need for revenge to her wolfblood and you to her southern roots. It makes me wonder about northern and southern honor and how different Eddard and Brandon were.

That reminds me again of Eddard who thinks about Lyanna a lot and wants to weep. One thing I've spent a little time pondering is how much southern influence does Eddard truly have from Jon Arryn.

Thank you.

The wolfsblood is an interesting angle. It is about emotion, passion and impulsiveness. The way she thinks of how Arya always says whatever comes to mind. In many ways Jaime has these characteristics which is why his line about Brandon seems to hit so hard. Ned is a character who saw the brother and sister he loved so dearly die from circumstances closely tied to the wolfsblood characteristics. The ice in his veins is a sadness born of loss though he seems to have always been quiet and shy compared to Brandon and Lyanna. Cat's passions likely helped fill that hole after their deaths. Though even fully embracing the wolfsblood angle, the First Men justice is designed to be carried out dispassionately.

Perhaps a better way to look at the North vs. South angle is the symbol of her father's empty seat at the opening of the chapter. A father gives away his daughter, sends her from his own protection to that of another man to father sons she will raise and protect who with time will protect her in turn. The empty seat speaks to the deaths of the whole male line of that marriage journey leaving two lonely women alone in a hall that is supposed to be filled by such marriages. Cat is tied to the North through her marriage to Ned and after his death through the children the two brought into this world. If all her children die, especially all her sons who are the ones meant to call Winterfell home, Cat's connection to the North dies as well even if the denizens of her foster home still welcome her and call her sister.

Winter has come, Father. For me. For me.

I want my girls back, I want Robb to lay down his sword and pick some homely daughter of Walder Frey to make him happy and give him sons.

Winter is coming has a certain eternal future to it. (Not a very optimistic take, but it has a "things are always going to get worse" feel to it along with an eternal ongoing preparation and struggle.) Winter has come signals an end. Cat sees this end but can't turn to a father, husband or son to protect her from it. In many ways Cat is correct based on what she knows. If Robb and Sansa were the two last Starks, the Starks can only endure if they live. If they die Winter will have come with no need to keep doing so or do so ever again. (Technically there's Jon but that's just more winter for Cat.)

I don't think Jon Arryn had a formative influence on Ned the way we ted to think of a father's impact on a son. I would imagine that Jon and Mormont or Jon and the Halfhand would be a good analogy. They both helped shepherd the boy to manhood, but the seeds of the man were already planted. With Ned and Jon Arryn I also think much of the importance was the fond memories of summer years.

When shall we tell Jon?” the maester asked.

“When I must. Preparations must be made. It will be a fortnight before we are ready to depart. I would sooner let Jon enjoy these last few days. Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well. When the time comes, I will tell him myself.”

Ned seems to want to preserve even the last few days of carefree youth for Jon. Everything we hear about Ned at the Eyrie sounds like carefree youth. His memories, and even Robert's, are reminiscent of the Stark children's childhood memories of Winterfell.

Parting thoughts on Lady Stoneheart. Cat seem to "break" three times. The first is after Bran's fall, the second is here, and the third is the Red Wedding. Bran's fall stunned her into inaction. She entirely immersed herself in the maternal role for Bran to an extreme. Afterwards, she seem to have embraced a more stereotypically male role in order to show strength

Catelyn remembered the way she had been before, and she was ashamed. She had let them all down, her children, her husband, her House. It would not happen again. She would show these northerners how strong a Tully of Riverrun could be.

Is there room in the Southron lexicon for a strong woman? The Queen of Thorns comes to mind as an entirely feminine Southron accepted figure of strength, but more often "strength" equates to masculinity in a way that is disdained in the South as we see repeatedly with Brienne. The North isn't Dorne, but has Lady Dustin, Alys Karstark, the Mormont women, as well as the Wildling cast beyond the Wall. All figures of strength, but also feminine, maternal, etc. and completely at home in the lexicon of the North. I'm thinking specifically of Alyssa's Tears and being cursed for not crying for lost children. It isn't a fully developed idea yet, but the Mormont women can carry spear in one arm and an infant in the other. Ygritte can cry at the end of The last of the Giants. Tormund doesn't openly cry, but tears can show in his eyes when he talks of having to kill his undead son in the midst of a male bonding episode with Jon. Lyanna cries when Rhaegar sings and when Benjen laughs at her for it she dumps wine on his head. I can't picture a proper Southron lady doing that at a feast and certainly not as part of a good natured sibling teasing exchange. Somewhere in there is a unifying thread about tears north and south of the Neck.

Thank you.

The wolfsblood is an interesting angle. It is about emotion, passion and impulsiveness. The way she thinks of how Arya always says whatever comes to mind. In many ways Jaime has these characteristics which is why his line about Brandon seems to hit so hard. Ned is a character who saw the brother and sister he loved so

dearly die from circumstances closely tied to the wolfsblood characteristics. The ice in his veins is a sadness born of loss though he seems to have always been quiet and shy compared to Brandon and Lyanna. Cat's passions likely helped fill that hole after their deaths. Though even fully embracing the wolfsblood angle, the First Men justice is designed to be carried out dispassionately.

Perhaps a better way to look at the North vs. South angle is the symbol of her father's empty seat at the opening of the chapter. A father gives away his daughter, sends her from his own protection to that of another man to father sons she will raise and protect who with time will protect her in turn. The empty seat speaks to the deaths of the whole male line of that marriage journey leaving two lonely women alone in a hall that is supposed to be filled by such marriages. Cat is tied to the

North through her marriage to Ned and after his death through the children the two brought into this world. If all her children die, especially all her sons who are the ones meant to call Winterfell home, Cat's connection to the North dies as well even if the denizens of her foster home still welcome her and call her sister.

Winter has come, Father. For me. For me.

I want my girls back, I want Robb to lay down his sword and pick some homely daughter of Walder Frey to make him happy and

give him sons.

Winter is coming has a certain eternal future to it. (Not a very optimistic take, but it has a "things are always going to get worse" feel to it along with an eternal ongoing preparation and struggle.) Winter has come signals an end. Cat sees this end but can't turn to a father, husband or son to protect her from it. In many ways Cat is correct based on what she knows. If Robb and Sansa were the two last Starks, the Starks can only endure if they live. If they die Winter will have come with no need to keep doing so or do so ever again. (Technically there's Jon but that's just more winter for Cat.)

I don't think Jon Arryn had a formative influence on Ned the way we ted to think of a father's impact on a son. I would imagine that Jon and Mormont or Jon and the Halfhand would be a good analogy. They both helped shepherd the boy to manhood, but the seeds of the man were already planted. With Ned and Jon Arryn I also think much of the importance was the fond memories of summer years.

When shall we tell Jon? the maester asked.

When I must. Preparations must be made. It will be a fortnight before we are ready to depart. I would sooner let Jon enjoy these last few days. Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well. When the time comes, I will tell him myself.

Ned seems to want to preserve even the last few days of carefree youth for Jon. Everything we hear about Ned at the Eyrie sounds like carefree youth. Himemories, and even Robert's, are reminiscent of the Stark children's childhood memories of Winterfell.

Parting thoughts on Lady Stoneheart. Cat seem to "break" three times. The first is after Bran's fall, the second is here, and the third is the Red Wedding. Bran's fall stunned her into inaction. She entirely immersed herself in the maternal role for Bran to an extreme. Afterwards, she seem to have embraced a more stereotypically male role in order to show strength

Catelyn remembered the way she had been before, and she was ashamed. She had let them all down, her children, her husband, her House. It would not happen again. She would show these northerners how strong a Tully of Riverrun could be.

Is there room in the Southron lexicon for a strong woman? The Queen of Thorns comes to mind as an entirely feminine Southron accepted figure of strength, but more often "strength" equates to masculinity in a way that is disdained in the South as we see repeatedly with Brienne. The North isn't Dorne, but has Lady Dustin,

Alys Karstark, the Mormont women, as well as the Wildling cast beyond the Wall. All figures of strength, but also feminine, maternal, etc. and completely at home in the lexicon of the North. I'm thinking specifically of Alyssa's Tears and being cursed for not crying for lost children. It isn't a fully developed idea yet, but the Mormont women can carry spear in one arm and an infant in the other. Ygritte can cry at the end of The last of the Giants. Tormund doesn't openly cry, but tears can show in his eyes when he talks of having to kill his undead son in the midst of a male bonding episode with Jon. Lyanna cries when Rhaegar sings and when Benjen laughs at her for it she dumps wine on his head. I can't picture a proper Southron lady doing that at a feast and certainly not as part of a good natured sibling teasing exchange. Somewhere in there is a unifying thread about tears north and south of the Neck.

The story is full of strong-minded women; Dany, Arianne, Brienne, Lady Mormont, Melisandre, Cersei, the Queen of Thorns, Asha, and strong-minded girls like Arya, Sansa, Wylla Manderly.

Catelyn is a strong-minded woman who finally breaks, and finishes up in hell. She is given the worst fate of any character in the series.

I both love and hate this chapter and you handled it excellently LordStoneheart. I love the interaction between her and Jaime and how brutally honest Jaime is. Great comments by Ragnorak as well on the mirroring with Lady Stoneheart.

There is an empty place within me where my heart once was.

This reminds me of Arya after the Red Wedding. Cat even has her own vengeance list. When Cat describes Arya she’s just telling the truth, I imagine her saying it in an affectionate tone. And Cat releasing Jaime is mirrored in Arya reaching out to her family by escaping Harrenhal.

Since the end of AGoT, Catelyn has been playing the roles of Lady of Winterfell and Robb’s Mother. In this chapter, she says goodbye to her role as Bran and Rickon’s Mother (*sob*) and plays the role of Sansa and Arya’s Mother. The poor woman has had to choose between children for pretty much the entire story, no mother should have to do that.

The Jaime for Sansa & Arya exchange is never on because the Lannisters never have Arya. Jaime for Sansa, however, is not necessarily a bad idea if done in the right way and for the right reasons but that’s not what Catelyn does. What she does is selfish.

She makes the same mistake Robb does when releasing Theon – neither Tyrion nor Jaime have the authority to return Sansa. And Tyrion lies when making that promise – he never has Arya – and Catelyn suspects this. Also, that entire peace offer is undermined when 4 of the envoys violate guest right. It’s also worth noting that Tyrion doesn’t consider his promise when he marries Sansa (Cat can’t foresee that, though). Cat’s not stupid – she doesn’t trust the Lannisters, she’s merely desperate. She needs to believe there’s a chance she’ll see her daughters again (similar to Arya needing the hope of being reunited).

This war is not just about Stark and Tully but about all the north and riverlands. Jaime is the kingdom’s major prize, men died to capture him. As Robb says earlier on, he can’t release Jaime even if he wanted to because his bannermen would not abide it. Cat doesn’t consider the other lords, she mentions Karstark but acts regardless. The situation has changed of course because Sansa is now believed to be Robb’s heir, though she’s still a girl. The only way this is going to work is if King Robb announces to his court that he’s offering Jaime back to Tywin in exchange for his heir and therefore for the benefit of the kingdom. Also worth noting: Jaime is a counter-hostage to Sansa – when Varys tells Tywin of his release, he knows he can marry Sansa to Tyrion without repercussion.

Having said that, I don’t blame Catelyn in the least for releasing Jaime. In a way, I would have judged her if she hadn’t done it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tywin's actions

I'm going to refer to a comment made by Ran/Elio Garcia about Tywin's actions during Jaime's captivity. (etc)

Tywin was doing what Robb Stark was doing - waging war in the hope that his enemies can't afford to kill their hostage in case the war goes against them and they need Jaime (or in the Lannisters case, Sansa) to bargain for their lives. With the Red Wedding he's taking a big chance just like Cat is - presumably in the hope that the Freys will be blamed and not the Lannisters. The Blackfish isn't fooled though, and it's likely Jaime would have lost his head. If Tywin was withholding the final 'go-ahead' from Walder Frey, haunted by the idea of Casterly Rock becoming Lord Tyrion's Pleasure Palace, Jaime's 'escape' would have removed that.

Congrats, LordStoneheart! Very very well done, on a very very difficult chapter.

The chapter is very demading emotionally to read. Both parts, dealing(?) with Bran and Rickon's death and the second part, dealing with Jaime and the past (which happens to be one of -if not The- top interactions between two characters in all series IMO).

I'm late to the discussion (and can't type much anyway) - after all most has been covered - si I'll just add a small observation about Brienne:

Brienne’s face was a watery blur. She reached across the table, but her fingers stopped short of Catelyn’s, as if the touch might be unwelcome. “I... there are no words, my lady. My good lady. Your sons, they... they’re with the gods now.”

Indeed, there are no words... But, what words cannot express a touch may be able to communicate. And, in grief, human touch is so much more soothing than any talk of rationalization. Brienne, however, feels that her touch is unwellcome and that speeks volumes of what she has been through, how much unwanted she has been made to feel all her life, that no one ever will want her touch... This, IMO, is one of the saddest moments in this chapter full of grief and despair.

This chapter made me love Jaime, I just wanted to say that. If "the things I do for love" hinted at the existence of a deeper lever behind the "armour" of blasé arrogance, this exchange with Cat here solidified the impression.

The consequences and final assessment of Cat's actions are an issue of the next chapter, so I'll wait for that until then.

aCoK Catelyn Retrospective:

Catelyn I

Robb has just been prested with a crown in the style of the old Kings of Winter. Catelyn observes him in the Great Hall of Riverrun as he gives terms to Ser Cleos Frey, a Lannister relative. She tells Robb a wiser man would have been more generous with the terms but he felt it would be too much. Robb tells her that she is to go to the Twins and pick him out a wife, which Cat takes as him wanting to send her away. Robb makes the decision to send Theon as an envoy to the Iron Islands to secure ships for a taking of King's Landing, though Catelyn has spoken against it more than once. Brynden and Catelyn talk about Tywin being stationed at Harrenhal. They agree he will need to be drawn out if progress in the war effort will continue, and decide Renly would make a good option. If they pay him homage.

Catelyn II

Catelyn meets with Renly, having been sent by Robb as the only one left capable of parleying. After arriving at Renly's camp Cat views the end of a tourney play out and is treated to dinner that night. While walking with "King" Renly and discussing politics, they are interpreted with news that "King" Stannis has laid siege to Storm's End...

Catelyn III

Catelyn meets with Stannis and Renly under the besieged Storm’s End in a vain attempt to come to an agreement and ally against their common enemy. The meeting fails hard amidst choice insults, ominous threats and peach juice. In Renly’s camp, lords and knights prepare for the attack overly confident for the victory, while Cat, in full dolorous mood, asks and is granted permission to visit a nearby Sept to pray.

Catelyn IV

Catelyn & co. find a ramshackle sept in a small abandoned village, and she begins to pray. During her time with the crude depictions of the Seven, Catelyn reflects of the knowledge of Cersei’s incest and feels a strange empathy as a mother. Back at Renly’s camp, she tries one last time to prevent the battle and reason with him. Her suggestion of calling a Great Council is laughed off as being too late.
A gust of wind enters the tent and Catelyn watches Renly’s shadow on the wall lift a shadowsword and cut open the real Renly’s throat. He dies in Brienne’s arms as other members of the Rainbow Guard rush in confused. Emmon fights with Brienne, but Catelyn convinces Robar Royce that it was Stannis’ doing. Catelyn leads Brienne out of the camp and back the small northern company. They ride away quickly, with Catelyn chilled at the thought of what Stannis may have in store for her Robb.

Catelyn V

Catelyn and company make it back to Riverrun after the failed parlay in the Stormlands. Along the way, Catelyn takes Brienne into her service under an oath, one that makes her feel like Ned. The parlay from King’s Landing attempted to free Jaime Lannister, which Cat correctly deduces as Tyrion’s work, but the attempt failed. News come from Storm’s End about Cortnay Penrose resisting Stannis.
The chapter ends with Eddard’s bones being brought in by silent sisters.

Catelyn VI

As Edmure rides off to give battle to Tywin, Catelyn awaits with Brienne at Riverrun, contemplating about life, the war and everything, and making her mind about some very important decisions.

Catelyn’s arc is very centered at this point, balancing between the other POVs who are moving into fantastical territory with a lighter chapter with no magic and less action

Catelyn VII

Catelyn and Brienne sit in the Great Hall of Riverrun while outside a celebration of Edmure's victory goes on. Eventually, Catelyn is able to open up to Brienne the news from Winterfell. Bran and Rickon have been slain by Theon Greyjoy and their heads have been mounted above the walls. Catelyn finally gives into her grief and weeps.
She tells Brienne to meet her at midnight. They go the dungeon where Jaime is being held and Catelyn has a lengthy conversation about truth, some history, vows, honor, and fidelity. The chapter ends with Catelyn asking for Brienne's sword.

A Storm of Swords, Chapter 2, Catelyn I: A Mother's Right

We kick the chapter off with Cat’s thoughts on Ser Desmond Grell, who’s watched her grow throughout her life. And now he has seen me become a traitor as well. She goes on to think They have given their lives to my father’s service, and I have repaid them with disgrace. It’s more than interesting that Cat’s empathy extends to her “jailers” as well. And while it’s interesting that Grell and Wayn struggle with the task before them (which says a lot about how Cat is perceived by others) it’s even more interesting that Cat completely realizes the position she put everyone in and conveys some level of remorse for this. It certainly goes some way to help prove that her actions were not entirely out of “mother’s grief” as her jailers meekly try to describe it.

They strike a compromise regarding the conditions of her “imprisonment” which in reality comes across as their way of playing it safe on both sides. They don’t feel horrible for throwing Cat in the cells (an entirely unfathomable notion to them) but they’ve also made clear their efforts to show her awaiting punishment for her crime. At this point Wayn explains that Ser Robin Ryger has been dispatched with the task of returning the Kingslayer – Catelyn had expected no less. What does this tell us about Cat? To my mind this shows (or really, emphasizes) an incredible trust in Brienne, not only her character, but her physical ability to follow through with her task despite pursuers.

I can’t help but feel Cat is not 100% sure of her own actions. What would you say if you knew my crime, Father? … Would you have done as I did, if it were Lysa and me in the hands of our enemies? Or would you condemn me too, and call it mother’s madness? Perhaps it is best that Lord Hoster could not give voice to his opinion on the matter, as any negative response may have been the final straw that broke Cat’s resolve. But then if he were to applaud her actions, it most certainly would silence her objectors… I doubt he would have, but I don’t know that I know him well enough to decide exactly how he would react…

There was a smell of death about that room; a heavy smell, sweet and foul, clinging. It almost goes without saying at this point that death is possibly the most prevailing theme in Cat’s arc, given the circumstances surrounding each of her actions are almost always driven by death or attempted murder: Bran’s fall, the second attempt on his life, Ned’s death, Renly’s death, Bran and Rickon’s “death” and now Lord Hoster’s -- I’m sure there are several others I’m forgetting, and not to look too far ahead, but…. Like Goldie Hawn, death becomes her.

So really this smell of death all around her can’t even be entirely blamed on Lord Hoster, in fact it could more likely be blamed on Cat herself. This brings us to the tansy bit, which the first time reading was for me, and certainly seems to be for others, a big question mark – it’s definitely a puzzle, and as we’ve come to see, GRRM loves using Detective Cat to help guide the reader along in their quest to riddle the answer out for themselves. With hindsight the whole passage makes much more sense... well, sort of. What is abundantly clear is that whether or not there’s some form of mother’s madness taking over Cat it seems to have come at little to no cost to her ability to think things through any number of possibilities. Sadly, to her realization, it almost always comes back to one thing:

Blood, she thought. Must it all come back to blood?

Cat is understandably anxious in this chapter, and even just saying it like that seems to be a bit shallow of an analysis, but she is. She’s anxious for news of Jaime and Brienne, she’s anxious for news of Edmure, and she’s anxious for news of Robb. This last one at least manifests itself in her conversation with Vyman when she hears word of Robb’s injury. Ever the mother, she snaps all wounds concern me. Her words here are more than just motherly, they’re ominous and foreboding, they’re fortuitous.

When Edmure returns things are certainly looking gloomy, and we can’t help but recognize the hole they’re seemingly being buried in; Stannis has lost and retreated, Dorne and Highgarden have declared for Joff and now the Kingslayer has been freed.

"I had a mother's right." Cat doesn't expect everyone to understand, in fact she seems to expect nobody to understand, but she stands by this right regardless. In a way she's already condemned herself, and offers this as her only defense.

Things just get worse and worse, as Catelyn realizes, when Edmure claims having left your part out.

“If this was an escape,” she said softly, “and not an exchange of hostages, why should the Lannisters give my daughters to Brienne?”

“It will never come to that. The Kingslayer will be returned to us, I have made certain of it.”

“All you have made certain is that I shall never see my daughters again. Brienne might have gotten him to King’s Landing safely… so long as no one was hunting for them. But now…” Catelyn could not go on.

Indeed, there’s not even a speckle of hope on the horizon by the end of this chapter, with both Cat and Edmure frustrated with one another's actions and neither being able to reconcile the other. One final note: on her trip to the sept Catelyn lit three candles:

Catelyn went to the sept and lit a candle to the Father Above for her own father’s sake, a second to the Crone, who had let the first raven into the world when she peered through the door of death, and a third to the Mother, for Lysa and all the children they had both lost. I would have lit one more to the stranger, personally.

Archived