Sansa slaying 'a giant'

The Wolfswood

Was just rereading ASOS Arya VIII and came across this quote from the old lady of High Heart. Can't believe I missed it before.

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

The maid must be Sansa at the Purple Wedding, and then she built the snow castle of Winterfell.

Littlefinger is quite a giant as far as his influence is concerned. Sweetrobin would have represented a giant next to the mini Winterfell. But is it the real snow covered Winterfell she goes back to and kills a real giant, or Tyrion (who maester Aemon referred to as a giant). Or somebody else there. The word 'savage' brings Ramsey Bolton to mind, but he is no giant in any sense. What about Roose then? He might qualify.

So many possible victims. Any others?

The prophecy could have already come true with Sansa inadvertently poisoning Joffrey and then ripping Sweetrobin's doll in the mini Winterfell made of snow. I guess the prophecy could mean that Sansa will kill LF in Winterfell or the Eyrie. I really hope Sansa doesn't kill LF. Sansa should be somehow involved in LF's downfall but she shouldn't be the one to kill him directly or indirectly.

I really hope Sansa doesn't kill LF. Sansa should be somehow involved in LF's downfall but she shouldn't be the one to kill him directly or indirectly.

Well, the slaying wouldn't have to be literal... It could be a metaphor for taking down his plans, or something along those lines.

That would be lame if that was all it was.

It's not. The other two prophecies were politically huge things: the deaths of King of the North and King Joffrey. Why would she include a doll there?

Personally, I don't think she was talking about Littlefinger either. The sigil of Titan of Braavos seems a bit of a stretch to me. Besides, Sansa is a sweet girl, she wouldn't slay anyone unless it's self-defense and Petyr doesn't seem like the person to attack her, or anyone, in such a violent manner. Sansa could well kill an actual giant in Winterfell or something similar.

Petyr steps over the walls of Sansa’s snow Winterfell, like a giant. Sansa will find herself in a positive of power in the Vale or in the North. Site will figure out that Littlefinger is responsible for Ned's death, and she will order his execution. Then as a Stark, she will carry out the execution herself.

It never crossed my mind that it might be Tyrion, as I never correlated it with the imagery of him "casting a large shadow," etc. It's an interesting thought, but I feel that the prophecy foretells the end of LF, whether literally through his death or symbolically through his "downfall." I feel that the "giant" is LF for several reasons. House Baelish's sigil is the Titan of Braavos. There's also the symbolism of LF being a giant stepping over the walls of Winterfell in the snow castle that she made. LF is also the most significant character attached to Sansa at the moment, making it less likely that the "giant" would be someone not in or near her like, for example, Gregor Clegane/Robert Strong. I think the "death" of the doll also hints at how it might be done, with SR and Sansa cooperating together for his ultimate fall. (SR and Sansa fight over the doll and Sansa accidentally takes the doll's head off.)

Also, I'm not sure how it might be connected, but I feel that the wayncastle Snow might be relevant to the story in this regard.

Snow, the second waycastle. The trail to it is steeper than that of Stone. It consists of a single fortified tower, a timber keep, and a stable placed behind a low wall of unmortared rock. It is nestled into the Giant's Lance so as to command the entire pathway from Stone to Snow. -Wiki

Petyr steps over the walls of Sansa’s snow Winterfell, like a giant. Sansa will find herself in a positive of power in the Vale or in the North. Site will figure out that Littlefinger is responsible for Ned's death, and she will order his execution. Then as a Stark, she will carry out the execution herself.

I think the giant is Petyr...now whether she actually kills him or orchestrates his downfall isn't clear, but I really think he's the 'giant'. His sigil is the Titan of Braavos as others have pointed out and GRRM was pretty precise when he described him stepping over the wall. So far, Sansa hasn't intentionally done anything bad and all of the other characters have a gray side. Even Bran wargs Hodor, which is supposed to be an abomination. I think Sansa's road may get darker before she matures completely.

I think she kills Tyrion. I also think this ends up being an absolutely terrible decision, that culminates in something occurring that harms for more than helps. Based on her history with Tyrion, him being a proverbial giant, and Sansa history of making the worst possible decision based on what she sees as the best possible outcome.

This thread comes up about once a month

Sansa already slayed a giant in a snow castle.

It was Robert Aryns doll.

It's am example of GRRM semi-subverting the prophesy trope

The other visions involve the deaths of real people. It doesn't make sense for it to just be the doll.

More likely, the snow castle scene is its own kind of foreshadowing, and people who think the vision has already been fulfilled will be caught off-guard when it actually is.

People, it's the doll. The "prophecy" is really obvious. She slays a giant in a castle made of snow. We saw this already--Sansa builds a model of Winterfell out of snow and "slays" the "giant" doll in it. Frankly, I'm surprised there are so many people who come onto this board who haven't realized this yet.

The visions are also all of the near future. The other events happened within a few days/weeks of the Ghost of High Heart's prophecies. Yet somehow Sansa still hasn't had her prophecy-fulfilling moment, and it's almost a year later? She has, it was just anticlimactic because GRRM was trying to show the futility of overthinking prophecy.

People, it's the doll. The "prophecy" is really obvious. She slays a giant in a castle made of snow. We saw this already--Sansa builds a model of Winterfell out of snow and "slays" the "giant" doll in it. Frankly, I'm surprised there are so many people who come onto this board who haven't realized this yet.

Which is all the more reason to think the doll is a feint. Do people seriously think it's that easy?

In this same set, the Ghost alludes to the deaths of Catelyn, Robb, Balon and Joffrey. The deaths of actual people. The doll is an outlier and doesn't fit the pattern.

More than that, the doll has pretty much zero impact on anything that happens after the incident. They drag Robert off to be leeched and everything continues as normal. When Lysa confronts Sansa, it's out of jealousy, not anything to do with the doll. So if it is the doll, what's the point? What influence did it have on anything after it?

Just because you have an opinion, that does not mean it is fact and other people are stupid for not seeing it. That little doll was not savage in any way so I don't think it holds. That is my opinion. I think GRRM just threw it in to throw us off.

Just because you have an opinion, that does not mean it is fact and other people are stupid for not seeing it. That little doll was not savage in any way so I don't think it holds. That is my opinion. I think GRRM just threw it in to throw us off.

No one is saying people are stupid for over reading it but if you are insisting then yea It actually kinda does mean people are stupid in this case for not seeing it's the doll. (The doll is savegely knocking down buildings/walls n stuff)

It's a standard awful crackpot overread that happens on this forum. This awful fan theory thread has happened many times before. And I'm sure this awful fan theory/overread thread will happen many times again. Congratulations! This was your entry into that proud tradition.

GRRM has successfully trolled on the over reading prophecy idea

Archived