Wert's Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch - Part 2

Werthead

In universe, it's most likely Ro is dead. Once the Cardassians joined The Dominion they pretty much wiped out the entire Maquis, except for a few survivors here and there and those on Voyager.

Ro got some good stuff to do in the novels and expanded universe. She's Captain of the rebuilt DS9 now actually... Though her relationship with Quark is odd...

A lot of those final episodes near the end of season 7, used to set up Voyager and DS9 could have been so much more... If only the producers had been a little bolder in some eleventh hour decisions...

I recently watched the end of TNG and found a lot of the episodes silly. I have never watched DS9 or Voyager, are the complete series available on Netflix? I would like to start one, which should I watch first based on chronology, does one take place in universe before the other?

I recently watched the end of TNG and found a lot of the episodes silly. I have never watched DS9 or Voyager, are the complete series available on Netflix? I would like to start one, which should I watch first based on chronology, does one take place in universe before the other?

They run essentially concurrently, but Voyager takes place on the far side of the galaxy with little/no interaction with the Federation at large. You can watch either in any order. However, if you found much of TNG to be silly and are looking for a reason to continue watching Trek... I would probably recommend DS9 next.

All 5 Star Trek series are currently on Netflix in their entirety. As I mentioned upthread I'm currently doing a Voyager rewatch via Netflix.

Definitely watch DS9 next, it's a great series and very different from TNG in tone and scope. DS9 played the long game in a way no other Trek series ever tried, with a great cast of regular and recurring characters and some very intriguing storylines.

I tend to be more forgiving of Voyager than the typical fan. It has caught a lot of criticism over the years for a number of legitimate reasons (technobabble, lack of continuity, a few absurd stories) but there were also some really great episodes in its run, and the cast with one or two exceptions was pretty strong.

Nemesis also showed Worf back in a Starfleet uniform after being made an ambassador, it showed a picture of a bald Picard Starfleet cadet when previously we'd seen him with hair when he was freshly out of the academy. They say that Berman decided to shit on DS9 with that film, but they basically shat on all ST continuity, not surprisingly that film turned out to be a big pile of shit most Trek fans prefer to think never happened.

Apparently Gene Roddenberry declared The Final Frontier non-canon, although in that case almost nothing happened in TFF that had any real ramifications. I think there's a stronger argument for declaring Nemesis to be non-canon (although I don't hate it as much as some people, it definitely has a lot of weird decisions): it means that Data is simply alive with none of the B4 BS and the problems with the appearances of Worf and Wesley are simply thrown out the window.

Ro got some good stuff to do in the novels and expanded universe. She's Captain of the rebuilt DS9 now actually... Though her relationship with Quark is odd...

I must admit that the new DS9 books have gone off the deep end. The new DS9 is pretty hideous (despite being designed by some of the same team of model makers and CGI artists who worked on the show) for starters.

Chronologically, Seasons 1-5 of TNG take place first. Then Seasons 6 and 7 of TNG occur concurrently with Seasons 1 and 2 of DS9. Then Season 1 of Voyager takes place after Season 7 of TNG and concurrently with Season 3 of DS9. Then Seasons 2-5 of Voyager take place simultaneously with Seasons 4-7 of DS9, then the rest of Voyager takes place.

You don't really need to worry about this at all. DS9 is the best Trek series and certainly worth watching. However, Seasons 1-2 are a bit more like TNG, with a lot of stand-alones. DS9 really doesn't start taking off in its own direction until the Season 2 finale and then into Season 3, when producer Ira Behr steered control away from Rick Berman and his mission to blandify everything.

Wait, *re*built DS9?

The only DS9 book I've read is The Never Ending Sacrifice, which is essentially a sequel to the second season episode Cardassians (where Sisko has to decide whether to return a Cardassian adoptee of Bajoran parents to his father).

It's really good - despite not really involving any actual DS9 characters to a very significant degree. Essentially it reads like historical fiction, covering events in Cardassia from the early Maquis era to the fall of Obsidian Order, establishment of civilian government, the Dominion alliance (presented as a not-at-all-bloodless coup), the war, and finally post-war disarray and reconstruction. Apart from the beginning, we don't spent time with many familiar characters. There are a few one-off guest or recurring Cardassians, the O'Briens, Dukat, and, eventually, Garak.

Aemon, the Trek expanded universe is getting pretty big. The Borg have berth vanquished, the great powers not associated with the Federation or Klingons have formed an alliance of their own, slip stream warp drives area reality, Voyager had led an expedition back to the Delta Quadrant as a result, DS9 was destroyed and rebuilt, Riker was a captain and now an admiral...

The cold war aspects of the novels are what would make a great series now on television. I stand ready to help adapt it when the powers that be come calling. :)

It also, along with the JJ "reboot", demonstrated that Trek doesn't necessarily belong in a cinematic format. Is best served by television in my opinion.

I agree with this except if Nicholas Meyer is directing or producing/writing with Nimoy or possibly Frakes directing.

It also, along with the JJ "reboot", demonstrated that Trek doesn't necessarily belong in a cinematic format. Is best served by television in my opinion.

How so?

The TOS movies are often fantastic and the problems with het reboots are not in the fact that they are movies.

How so?

The TOS movies are often fantastic and the problems with het reboots are not in the fact that they are movies.

I did day "not necessarily"...

There are some good movies. Trek, to my mind, however seems better suited to longer form storytelling in the end. Something you can achieve with television.

I did day "not necessarily"...

There are some good movies. Trek, to my mind, however seems better suited to longer form storytelling in the end. Something you can achieve with television.

I mostly agree. The thing about the series, especially TOS and TNG, the ships felt like one of the characters. I think a television series gives more of a chance to develop the ship as a character, better than a movie at least.

In the first 6 movies the Enterprise felt like one as well, but I think that was partly due to being an extension of TOS but not completely. This is one thing I really missed in the Abrahams reboots. Say what you will about The Motionless Picture, I love the way I feel when I see this scene. The Enterprise feels alive to me, it's a thing of beauty. It's just most of the rest of the movie that gets bogged down in a whole lot of nothing. In the reboots the Enterprise had no feeling associated with it, it was just a set and a CGI image, the crew could have been traveling on any ship and it would have been the same.

Archived