Cregan Stark and Aegon II

Maid So Fair

We know that Aegon II dies/is murdered before Cregan makes it to KL. He then proceeds to punish various people, some of them Blacks and therefore on his side for their part in Aegon's death. Had Aegon still lived when Cregan marched down to KL, what do you think would have happened? Would he execute Aegon II as well?

Cregan would have executed him, yes, or found another way to give a 'honorable death', although that would have been difficult, as it does not seem that he had recovered enough to walk, let alone face anyone in the field or fight in single combat.

This thing is the exact mirror of Ned's POV after the Sack. Cregan, like Ned, thinks that dealing with Aegon/Aerys was the task of his enemies, not a deed the people who professed to be loyal to Aegon II should do.

By the way, has anyone ever thought about who was involved in the poisoning plot against Aegon II and the subsequent coronation of Aegon III?

Corlys Velaryon is a major suspect, in my opinion, as he most likely never was a true 'reformed Green' in the first place, only willing to serve Aegon II because the king had his granddaugher Baela and Aegon the Younger as hostages.

Now, the KG and Larys Strong, the two people who were actually executed, were most likely not involved in the plot, but did went along/not fight against the subsequent coronation of Aegon III. The KG did not want to survive his king - a strong sign that he did not cause his death - and Lord Larys was such a strong Green loyalist throughout the war that I hardly see him turning against his king in the end - and then choosing death rather than the NW.

We know that Aegon II dies/is murdered before Cregan makes it to KL. He then proceeds to punish various people, some of them Blacks and therefore on his side for their part in Aegon's death. Had Aegon still lived when Cregan marched down to KL, what do you think would have happened? Would he execute Aegon II as well?

Yes, I think Aegon II would have been given a death penalty. I wonder if he would have been given the chance to take the black, or if he would have been executed automatically.

And I do think Corlys is likely to have had a major hand in poisoning Aegon II.

By the way, has anyone ever thought about who was involved in the poisoning plot against Aegon II and the subsequent coronation of Aegon III?

Another likely candidate: Grand Maester Orwyle, seeing as he was not amongst those named as having been executed by Rhaenyra when she took King's Landing, there's a new Grand Maester, Munkun, when Aegon III's regency council is constituted.

Since Corlys already urged Aegon II to go to the Wall, I'm not sure whether Cregan would have repeated the offer, although it is possibly that Aegon II may have reconsidered his options had he been in Cregan's custody. On the other hand, he could barely walk, and would thus have been of no use at the Wall, not to mention that the Blacks most likely were rather pissed how Aegon II treated Rhaenyra...

Orwyle is a possibility, although we cannot be sure that he lived to this day. It seems that he was privy to the whole 'Aegon II is going to hide on Dragonstone' plan, as TWoIaF suggests that Munkun's treatise on the Dance used Orwyle's account as source for that particular story. That would mean that Orwyle knew where Aegon II was headed when Rhaenyra took the city, but did not tell her (or he only found out later, things are really weird there).

More importantly, we have also to squeeze 'true Gerardys' in as Grand Maester somewhere, and if Varys is right and he was fed to the dragon of Aegon II, that dragon has to be Sunfyre, which means this must have occurred - most likely - before Aegon's separation from Sunfyre at Rook's Rest.

Agreed. Poisoning Aegon II probably seemed a good idea, and it would have been if anyone other than a Stark had been put into charge, but the way things turned it seems that the best course of action would have been to quietly desert.

I'm not convinced about Corlys as the culprit, although if he really loved her wife he could have seen it as a revenge for Aegon II's role in her death.

Cregan would have executed him, yes, or found another way to give a 'honorable death', although that would have been difficult, as it does not seem that he had recovered enough to walk, let alone face anyone in the field or fight in single combat.

This thing is the exact mirror of Ned's POV after the Sack. Cregan, like Ned, thinks that dealing with Aegon/Aerys was the task of his enemies, not a deed the people who professed to be loyal to Aegon II should do.

Corlys Velaryon is a major suspect, in my opinion, as he most likely never was a true 'reformed Green' in the first place, only willing to serve Aegon II because the king had his granddaugher Baela and Aegon the Younger as hostages.

Now, the KG and Larys Strong, the two people who were actually executed, were most likely not involved in the plot, but did went along/not fight against the subsequent coronation of Aegon III. The KG did not want to survive his king - a strong sign that he did not cause his death - and Lord Larys was such a strong Green loyalist throughout the war that I hardly see him turning against his king in the end - and then choosing death rather than the NW.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't buy the whole "Clubfoot elected execution" thing. In another thread I argued that Marwyn is a descendant of House Strong. I believe that Larys being from Harrenhall and serving as Master of Whispers is a direct parallel to Qyburn who bought his way into Bolton's good graces with something he found in the library of HH. Immediately after Bolton is given a book by Qyburn (a book he has Nan burn conjuring up strange imagery) he sends him on to KL where Qyburn quickly gains access to the Black Cells, Larys old haunt.

Sorry to go off topic. What I wonder ur opinion on is what exactly happened with Larys? Did he really die? If so why? He was the Lord of HH and the last known Strong alive. I don't buy what Yandel is selling there has to be much more to this story than we've been told.

I don't think Larys could have faked his death. He was executed. Nor do I think that he had any legitimate descendants. If Alys Rivers was a Strong bastard (there is such a possibility as Aemond first hangs out with her at Harrenhal) then a Targaryen-Strong bastard line may have survived the Dance, but we don't really know how long that lasted (could be that child did not have any issue).

Archmaester Marwyn may actually be a Hightower (bastard) by birth (or even Lord Leyton Hightower himself, in disguise) as he would have to have powerful friends/patrons in Oldtown to continue his research in magic if what he tells about the gray sheep is true. More importantly, there is also a strong clue that he may have Targaryen blood himself as he is hinting us that both he and Maester Aemon could not be trusted because of their blood. Marwyn could be a descendant of Rhaena Targaryen and Garmund Hightower - if Garmund was not the Lord of Oldtown it is still very likely that the Lord Hightower married his heir to one of Garmund's daughters to give the main line a drop of Targaryen blood...

Thinking about that: We should also consider the possibility that Maester Aemon fathered some children in his youth, while he was living in Oldtown. After all, he was tempted to break his vows in his youth, was he not?

Archived