NFL 2014-15 postseason: deflating pre-Super Bowl hype

DanteGabriel

The burning question on everyone's minds:

Did the Patriots play a game with a properly inflated Vince Wilfork?

Lulz. In related news, it was apparently D'Qwell Jackson's 2nd quarter interception that set the whole thing in motion.

http://deadspin.com/reports-dqwell-jacksons-int-triggered-deflated-ball-in-1680569440

Man, not sure who to pick in this one. On the one hand you have one team that is constantly inventing new ways to cheat (messing with positional eligibilities, deflated footballs, 13 men on the field, improperly inflated Vince Wilfork, weather manipulation etc. etc.) and another team so favored by God that He not only wants them to win but also to ensure that all of its fans are really entertained in the process.

As Flanders would say: This is a dill of a pickle.

Lulz. In related news, it was apparently D'Qwell Jackson's 2nd quarter interception that set the whole thing in motion.

http://deadspin.com/reports-dqwell-jacksons-int-triggered-deflated-ball-in-1680569440

Many other news outlets including PFT reported this as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/deflated-ball-investigation-began-after-colts-interception/

This one from the PFT report really cracked me up

So while Brady laughed off the suggestion of a conspiracy when asked yesterday, the reality is, he could have kept it from being an issue at all. All he had to do was throw it to his own teammates, and it’s possible no one would have ever known.

:lmao:

Also great thread title DG.

Echoing others from the last thread, I'd totally support scrapping the actual prob owl game, keeping the nominations (although without the need to play the game, I'd just have starter, 2nd team, and 3rd team for each position for each conference; no need for this 8th alternate nonsense), having skill competitions all weekend instead, and keeping it strictly in Hawaii.

This on from the PFT report really cracked me up

Little known fact: Eli Manning has been desperately and repeatedly trying to expose Coughlin's cheating to other teams for years.

Many other news outlets including PFT reported this as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/deflated-ball-investigation-began-after-colts-interception/

This one from the PFT report really cracked me up

:lmao:

Also great thread title DG.

There was a pretty funny post on the Fark thread regarding this, suggesting that Brady threw the interception on purpose so that the Colts would obsess over it/be distracted by it for the remainder of the game.

There was a pretty funny post on the Fark thread regarding this, suggesting that Brady threw the interception on purpose so that the Colts would obsess over it/be distracted by it for the remainder of the game.

I would not put it past the Hoodie's strategy :)

From the last thread - KB

Don't worry, HowdyPhillip. The Cowboys wouldn't even have been playing the Packers if the league hadn't screwed up multiple calls against Detroit in the prior game. It all balances out. This was just a makeup call for picking up that PI in the prior game.

As the article I linked stated, the Detroit bad call and the Dallas bad call are apples to oranges. During the Detroit game, the Lions went from a 79% chance of winning the game to a 69% chance of winning, which means that the call didn't mean nearly as much.

The Cowboys went from a 56% chance of winning that game to a 15% chance which means basically that the call cost them any reasonable chance of winning

Fez

I continue to think that beyond being the correct call technically, that it really didn't look like a catch. Yeah he took a couple steps, but they were in the process of falling to the ground, not in control of the ball, and as soon as he hit the ground the ball jarred itself free. It never looked to me like "the process of the catch" was complete.

It was clearly a catch as defined by the rules of logic. It was even unquestioningly a catch as defined by the rules.

From the last thread - KB

As the article I linked stated, the Detroit bad call and the Dallas bad call are apples to oranges. During the Detroit game, the Lions went from a 79% chance of winning the game to a 69% chance of winning, which means that the call didn't mean nearly as much.

The Cowboys went from a 56% chance of winning that game to a 15% chance which means basically that the call cost them any reasonable chance of winning

Fez

It was clearly a catch as defined by the rules of logic. It was even unquestioningly a catch as defined by the rules.

I feel you pain man. I would feel the same way probably if it was TY or some other Colts WR. But you need to let it go.

(I have a 6 year old daughter)

I feel you pain man. I would feel the same way probably if it was TY or some other Colts WR. But you need to let it go.

(I have a 6 year old daughter)

You should try to build a snowman to take your mind off of it.

I'm with you Howdy, that was a catch, but all the balling of fists and gnashing of teeth in the universe aren't going to alter reality.

Yeah, it was a catch. Refs blew it and/or the rule is worthless. Probably both, but, time to get over it.

Thanks guys...

I am just trying to get back to the glory hole days...

Come to think of it, that call was kind of a glory hole call. You go all in, and you never know just what you are going to get.

Now... in his defense... after the Packers beat the Pats in this game, I do specifically remember all those Patriots fans who said that the ball being over-inflated made us lose the game and how Aaron Rodgers should be investigated...

http://vid809.photobucket.com/albums/zz11/mascho030916/Football%20Central/ScreenCaptureProject295.mp4

Remember: when other teams do it, its to gain a competitive advantage; when the Pats do it its cheating.

Because Narrative.

Now... in his defense... after the Packers beat the Pats in this game, I do specifically remember all those Patriots fans who said that the ball being over-inflated made us lose the game and how Aaron Rodgers should be investigated...

http://vid809.photobucket.com/albums/zz11/mascho030916/Football%20Central/ScreenCaptureProject295.mp4

Remember: when other teams do it, its to gain a competitive advantage; when the Pats do it its cheating.

Because Narrative.

Hey man as long as it's done within the regulation psi, it's not "cheating" ;)

ETA: Also did any Colts fan said that we lost because of under inflated footballs? NOT ON THIS BOARD.

ETA1: good find by the way. He should be investigated :)

It is cheating no matter who does it. I don't see anyone here defending Rodgers. But when you have the history of cheating, further cheating should have more serious consequences.

These threads have turned into a "poor me everybody hates the Patriots" thread. Haven't heard anybody defend Rodgers, i didn't know about that but if i did at the time, i would have been against Rodgers.

This is just more of the victim card, which gets old fast. If anything, acting like that will cause me (and others) to hate the Patriots because of how the fans cry and whine.

These threads have turned into a "poor me everybody hates the Patriots" thread. Haven't heard anybody defend Rodgers, i didn't know about that but if i did at the time, i would have been against Rodgers.

This is just more of the victim card, which gets old fast. If anything, acting like that will cause me (and others) to hate the Patriots because of how the fans cry and whine.

You would have loved the aftermath of the S controversy then.

Some interesting details from Yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/how-did-colts-find-out-about-deflate-gate--and-gronk-takes-blame-144407663.html

Archived