NFL 2014-15 postseason: deflating pre-Super Bowl hype

DanteGabriel

I think he's going to have a lot of trouble enacting that clause. Especially with the "that such action has a major effect on the result of the game". Because he is never going to be able to justify that. That's the one consistent thing everybody believes is that this didn't effect the game. And it will throw the PA and coaches union in frenzy.

But the point is noted.

I don't think it's anything close to likely. I don't think Goodell has the balls or the incentive. I don't even think it is necessarily warranted, but it is a possibility.

And seriously, who's responsible here if not the Patriots? They had custody of the balls. In between the time the balls were inspected and halftime, the balls became illegal. How can this be anything but the Patriot's responsibility?

Well it's about what's likely vs what you can prove. The balls were in the custody of the refs then right before the game a ball boy who was in public view the entire game, in the exact same spot. If Schefter's reports are true, then they probably don't have any evidence of him screwing with the balls, whether that's video or a confession.

If the NFL has nothing, then then Patriots pretty much have to get the benefit of the doubt.

Well it's about what's likely vs what you can prove. The balls were in the custody of the refs then right before the game a ball boy who was in public view the entire game, in the exact same spot. If Schefter's reports are true, then they probably don't have any evidence of him screwing with the balls, whether that's video or a confession.

If the NFL has nothing, then then Patriots pretty much have to get the benefit of the doubt.

But they don't have nothing. They have 11 of 12 balls that are 2 lbs PSI below the legal limit. They have 12 Colt's balls that are within legal limits. That's all the evidence they need. And at this point, how does any reasonable person give the Patriot's the benefit of the doubt?

But they don't have nothing. They have 11 of 12 balls that are 2 lbs PSI below the legal limit. They have 12 Colt's balls that are within legal limits. That's all the evidence they need. And at this point, how does any reasonable person give the Patriot's the benefit of the doubt?

Well lets take this all into perspective. 11 of 12 balls only shows something happened in a public place. Unless he enacts the rule you said (which I think is doubtful personally). Anything else is going to get killed in the appeals process without some evidence. That means, no Brady suspension, no Belichick suspension. I personally doubt he's going to take draft picks without a clear link. All they have to say is "I didn't do it, you have no proof, anybody on the field before the game could have done something".

As far as the benefit of the doubt. New England's only gotten in trouble for one thing in it's past, and it was something Belichick personally owned up to right away and they took the punishment, and never did it again when they were put under a microscope. Everything else was either something that was retracted or gossip. So when people say things like "a culture of cheating" it basically boils down to spygate which was open and shut. Belichick ignored a memo on day one, got reported, admitted to it, was punished immediately. That's about it. So I get it from the perspective of what the usual narrative is. But Goodell's actual dealings with the organization, he had one open and shut case with no resistance whatsoever.

I don't know Rock, trying to frame that presser into anything resembling a victory seems to be a bit of a stretch to me. Maybe from the standpoint that this is likely the last we will hear any Patriot address the issue to the press until a judgement is passed. That part is smart.

It was clearly a return serve that put the matter to the NFL and put a firewall up between the Pats and further questions until the NFL does something.

Somebody else asked "Well, the Pats had the balls, the balls were "inspected" and then the balls failed teh second impromptu inspection after half time. So... Guilty."

One thing that I have read a few times was the ball boy who said that in all his times doing the games and being at those inspections, while the organizations had the gauges, he never- ever- saw a ref use one; it was usually all done by feel. Obviously, the equipment crew and the Colts equipment crew will be able to corroborate if the refs actually used gauges that first time around. The first response was that the refs did use the gauges, but if that is not the case (this is the NFL, after all), then this really explains Belichick's press conf; he laid out how its really hard to tell if a ball is 1 psi too low and that if the refs were going by "feel" then its far far far more likely that they missed balls that were low and that was what happened.

Again, for a guy who never speaks in absolutes, Belichick seemed insanely confident and strident over the issue that he believes that he and his people followed the rules. That's a bold statement ... especially for a guy known for obfuscation and stone walling.

I think he's going to have a lot of trouble enacting that clause. Especially with the "that such action has a major effect on the result of the game". Because he is never going to be able to justify that. That's the one consistent thing everybody believes is that this didn't effect the game. And it will throw the PA and coaches union in frenzy.

But the point is noted.

There is no coaches union.

There is a Coaches Association that Bill Belichik is not a part of, but no union.

There is no coaches union.

There is a Coaches Association that Bill Belichek is not a part of, but no union.

Yeah I still don't think it will even come to Belichick needing an appeal.

A lot of people have brought up the Sean Payton ruling. Sean Payton had his defensive coordinator caught as one of the primary figures in bountygate. It was literally a high ranking member in his coaching staff that is a direct subordinate to Payton.

I doubt they are going to suspend Belichick without having someone else in the organization implicated. Let alone one that has a similar connection to Belichick. And realistically, he isn't going to need a rep to prove his case in an appeals process.

I've honestly tried to stay away from anything having to do with Deflategate, because it's a buzz kill. But, gotta say, Belichick's press conference was amazing. He is exactly the type you loathe if he coaches for any other team besides yours. I've come to realize this, and it's why I don't begrudge anyone for hating him.

All that said. Go Pats.

Because the idea that the ball boy purposely deflated the balls in 90 seconds in the bathroom is fairly absurd, first of all, when the weather conditions have been proven to deflate balls to between 1 and 2 psi.

And because "spygate" was the Pats out in the open filming signals, not trying to hide it, not destroying the tapes, not having their guys disguised or using a spy camera that no one could see....so there is not really a comparison between that and secretly deflating the footballs.

So, it seems like nothing to me, especially when we don't know what the psi was that the Colts balls started with, if it was 13.5 instead of 12.5 that alone is enough to account for the result.

Archived