Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

Why? I always figured that if it is true, Rhaegar chose the name after his close friend Jon Connington?

Just imagine the scene of them meeting up at some point in the future, JonCon finding out about Jon Targaryen just before dying :crying:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Jon was named by Ned - most likely after Jon Arryn, his foster father.

Speaking of Irish names I find it stupid that names such as Tully and Donnel exist when gaelic does not in westeros.

You should find Martell, Stark, Dayne, Glover, Bolton, Greyjoy, Cassel, Mormont and a whole lot of other names stupid, too. Not to mention Jon, Edric, Eddard, Richard, Rickard, Brandon, Robert, Lysa, Shireen, Arianne, Lyanna, Samwell etc. Most of GRRM's names either exits in real world, or have roots in real world languages, there's no particular reason to single out Gaelic. By your reasoning, GRRM shouldn't have written the books in English, because English doesn't exist in Westeros.

Even the names in Essos are not quite as random as their appear -- though yes, GRRM certainly is no linguist. I find completely invented names to be tiresome, tbh, so I'm quite okay with GRRM's choice to make use of real world names. It gives the story a more authentic feel.

Euron and Aenys. And not a person's name, but Asshai... even though I know it's "ah-shy" every now and then I think "ass-high."

Marq and Qarl.

CLETUS YRONWOOD YES OMG. I cannot take Quentyn's chapters seriously when he mentions Cletus, because this is all I think about.

I don't know if it counts but in the show, when Walder Frey introduces his daughters, one of them is called Freya.

That's right. Freya Frey.

Everyone in Mereen and that general area. Except for Reznak mo Reznak. That's a pimp's name if I ever heard one.

:rofl:

Jaime: in RL "Jamie" is a girls's name usually, also diminutive and thus not fitting for the heir of Casterly Rock, plus the spelyngh is stoopyde

Kevan: "Kevin" misspelled is far too un-aristocratic for a main branch Lannister

Tyrek: the -rek suffix doesn't fit

Helaena, Elaena, Daena, Rhae, Daella--Targ names shouldn't sound like common RL names

Aelix--"ix" suffix doesn't belong in Valyrian

Harrold--the extra "r" is stupid

Addam--the extra "d" is stupid, plus Biblical names don't work in a secondary universe

Bethany--again, too biblical for the setting

Mace--the lord of a great house named after a weapon?

Why are the way some of the names spelled stupid? The english language is fucked anyway. We are taught an "s" makes a certain sound but then so does the "c" and yet the "c" also makes the sound the "k" is there to make. We are told the "f" makes a certan sound that we sometimes oddly replace for a "ph"...and on and on. No to mention all the words that have the same name but different meanings such as Bear and bare...

Spell things whichever way you want to.

Jaime: in RL "Jamie" is a girls's name usually, also diminutive and thus not fitting for the heir of Casterly Rock, plus the spelyngh is stoopyde

Jaime is a real name for boys in Spanish, it's our version of James. There is one boarder here named Jaime and there have been Kings named Jaime too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime

I have never found any of the names weird. I mean come one, why do so many of you have such problems with the Gishkari names? I mean yes, when you only speak english and are thus incapable to pronounce them anyhow sensible because your language is missing a lot of sounds existant in most other language they may sound simmilar, but not so much that you can't distinguish the characters. I have always pronounced them to me like you would pronounce them coming from their cultural background, so the First Men Names I pronounce Nordic/German, the Dornish names a bit Hispanic, the bravosi names a bit italian (Bravos == Venice), the Andal names modern english, and the Ghiscari names are perfectly fine if you think of them as middle eastern (you can get a long way by pronouncing the 'r' like the rest of the friggin world, sounds about half as mumbly that way) and the Valyrian names a bit roman/greek. They all sound perfectly reasonable that way.

(I prefer the original dub for everything, except for english, especially for GoT. Anything recorded or mixed in an enlish speaking sound studio is way too bass heavy and smoothed over, so it just sounds like incoherent mumbling to me. Even after living in Canada, I have hugh problems understanding the mumbling on TV, and Radio is just impossible. Mix in the weird english pronounciation of everything in GoT and it becomes hard to understand. English is a very mumbly language, 'round' so to say, without the 't' and 's' sounds it would sound no different from Mmmmmhmmhhmhmnhnnnnhmmmm when speaking at lower volumes. All the sounds are a more 'rounded' version of their linuistic origins, the language has few egeds, in combination with the sound design it becomes unbearable.)

In AFfC, GRRM introduces a bunch of new POVs for the reader to keep track of. It didn't help that they were called: Aeron, Areo, Arys, Arianne, and Asha...

As long as none of them have similarities to Arya... and he also introduced Brienne and Cersei, too, so just to show off his ABCs.

Archived