Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

Jaime is a real name for boys in Spanish, it's our version of James. There is one boarder here named Jaime and there have been Kings named Jaime too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime

But in America, where GRRM and I hail from, "Jamie" is both diminutive & usually female & not at all badass & I really don't think it's what Tywin Lannister would have named his heir.

But in America, where GRRM and I hail from, "Jamie" is both diminutive & usually female & not at all badass & I really don't think it's what Tywin Lannister would have named his heir.

Actually, Jamie has always been a unisex name in the USA. In the 1970s, it was the 70th most popular name for baby boys in the USA. It was the 40th most popular girl name. By the 1980s, it had declined in popularity as a boy's name (dropping to #152 in popularity) but increased somewhat in popularity for girls, moving up to the 34th most popular girl name. This was probably due to the fame of Jamie Curtis in the early 1980s.

Until the 1990s, Jamie was a far more popular name for boys than Noah, which is one of the most popular these days.

And as pointed out before, the character's name is not Jamie, but Jaime, which has been a more popular name for boys than girls since the 1980s.

Dany.

I mean, why give a character an awesome and unique name like Daenerys and then call her DANY?!

Daenerys isn't unique, there's been a couple of Targs before her bearing the name. Or you mean unique as "isn't present in other works of fiction" ? But to answer your question, mostly because Daenerys is cumbersome to both read and write.

Daenerys isn't unique, there's been a couple of Targs before her bearing the name. Or you mean unique as "isn't present in other works of fiction" ? But to answer your question, mostly because Daenerys is cumbersome to both read and write.

I meant unique in our world. There are a bazillion Danny's and Dani's in real life, but (before ASOIAF inspired some parents, at least) zero Daenerys's. In a fictional world that's chock full of interesting and unique names, Dany, especially as one of the mainest main characters, is a huge letdown.

living in the USA i know more males named jamie then females so got to disagree man.

also any thing in front of manwoody for me is just crazy

Dany.

I mean, why give a character an awesome and unique name like Daenerys and then call her DANY?!

nicknames are a thing

Kermit & Elmo Tully.

Littlefinger - I've always felt this was an utterly ridiculous nickname.

Wasn't Littlefinger given his nickname by the Tullys back when they were still children? I think it can be forgiven, and it's not like the name means absolutely nothing.

Also, Kermit and Elmo only sound stupid because of the Muppets and Sesame Street; they're real names.

First, Anys
After all that discussion.... I forgot how to speak it! :bang:
We pronounce Y, J and I all the same as "ee" in Italian, so I read it as Aenees.... Just like Arya is /'arja/ (which, incidentally, means air in Italian, so I can't help but read it this way)

Anyway, worst surname: Qorgyle, is the Q silent? I get confused with Qs without Us...Qyburn's bad enough. And i have the unshakable urge to pronouce Yronwood as Wyeonwood or Yonwood...

THIS!
I can't understand how you're supposed to spell Qorgyle and Qyburn!
Never had any problem with Yronwood, though... As I said, the Y -> I thing was easy for me.

dunk......and......egg

Egg is an awesome name! I didn't choose it by chance! :lol:

Assuming Jon is the true born son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, I've always thought Jon Targaryen was stupid and didn't fit.

:agree:

That duckfield knight, although it's kinda cute too.

Littlefinger is the stupidest nickname ever.

Little "finger". This makes me think of other.... extremities.... every time I read it! :blushing:

Dany.

I agreee!
I can't find any problem in Targaryen names, as soon as I found out that Rhaegar wasn't supposed to be read ree-gar.... they pretty much seem Greek names with too many H!

@the guy who said Bravoos=Venice.... I never thought about that, but actually Syrio Forel might well be some strange form of Venetian name! :eek:

I see Jamie has been brought up. I can not get over this - of course I got used to it somewhat. I doesn't go at ALL with Cersei and Tyrion or Tywin and Joanna or anything. It doesn't sound as if it belongs in Westeros at least not in the noble class and the Lannisters specifically. WTH IS that name. I do not understand.

First, Anys

After all that discussion.... I forgot how to speak it! :bang:

We pronounce Y, J and I all the same as "ee" in Italian, so I read it as Aenees.... Just like Arya is /'arja/ (which, incidentally, means air in Italian, so I can't help but read it this way)

THIS!

I can't understand how you're supposed to spell Qorgyle and Qyburn!

Never had any problem with Yronwood, though... As I said, the Y -> I thing was easy for me.

Egg is an awesome name! I didn't choose it by chance! :lol:

:agree:

Little "finger". This makes me think of other.... extremities.... every time I read it! :blushing:

I agreee!

I can't find any problem in Targaryen names, as soon as I found out that Rhaegar wasn't supposed to be read ree-gar.... they pretty much seem Greek names with too many H!

@the guy who said Bravoos=Venice.... I never thought about that, but actually Syrio Forel might well be some strange form of Venetian name! :eek:

The only Targ names I have a problem with are Duncan the small and Jon, I mean Duncan Targaryen, really?

Archived