Dumbest names in the series?

Reginald blackfield

As far as I recall Rickard is a (albeit uncommon) real name, or possibly a surname.

Is it really? If so I apologize for grouping with the others. I wonder if it predates Richard, which could explain how Rick became a nickname for Richard...

I think it is interesting that the North seems to have the least made up/most likely to be heard in real life names.

Is it really? If so I apologize for grouping with the others. I wonder if it predates Richard, which could explain how Rick became a nickname for Richard...

I think it is interesting that the North seems to have the least made up/most likely to be heard in real life names.

Which etymologically does not make sense, as descendants of the first men, you would expect their names to be derived from the old tongue, but no, names in the north include, Glover, Stark and Bolton, names which exist in reality!

The Targaryen names in general sound far too samey. Did we really need a Daeron and a Daemon in the same timeline? Stuff that's nearly impossible to spell like Jaehaerys? Not to mention Aenys which is just a horrible name in general.

The Ghiscari names suffer from this problem too.

Dickon Manwoody would win hands down, however, if I hadn't learned that it was a tribute from GRRM to a deceased fan. Still a pretty stupid House name however.

I always read Aenys as ay-nees. Like the Fonz spotting someone wearing shorts . ;)

It never occurred to me that the name might have another pronunciation until I started reading this forum.

Which etymologically does not make sense, as descendants of the first men, you would expect their names to be derived from the old tongue, but no, names in the north include, Glover, Stark and Bolton, names which exist in reality!

Maybe the Old Tongue is English-based and the Common Tongue and High Valyrian et al. are new languages we don't have yet...?

I always read Aenys as ay-nees. Like the Fonz spotting someone wearing shorts . ;)

It never occurred to me that the name might have another pronunciation until I started reading this forum.

Maybe the Old Tongue is English-based and the Common Tongue and High Valyrian et al. are new languages we don't have yet...?

Last time I checked, Skagos means nothing in English.

WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED CLETUS YRONWOOD YET?

Seriously, what the hell? Didn't know Westeros had a Bible Belt.

Cletus, the Slack-Jawed Dornishman.

But really though it's Grover, Elmo and Kermit Tully. I was unaware of the MUSH (I think these came out of MUSH?) and read them in the World book. And did a double-take and went back to see what I had just read.

I'm also guessing that Aenys is meant to be said ay-NEES. I might be wrong but that's how I understood the -ys Targ names: an -EES sound, not an -iss.

But really though it's Grover, Elmo and Kermit Tully. I was unaware of the MUSH (I think these came out of MUSH?) and read them in the World book. And did a double-take and went back to see what I had just read.

That's the only reason I found out, it was so jarring I searched for them on here.

Archived