Fortitude (TV series) -Stanley Tucci, Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccleston

AncalagonTheBlack

Starring Stanley Tucci as an expert forensic detective, the Arctic-set psychological thriller explores the small town of Fortitude, as mystery and suspicion grows after a brutal and shocking murder.

"Fortitude is a British drama television series created and written by Low Winter Sun (Channel 4)'s Simon Donald. A first 12 episode season was commissioned by Sky Atlantic in 2013, and will air on 29 January 2015. The series will premiere on the same date on Pivot in the United States.The series is set in Arctic landscape with a close-knit community and will be filmed in both the UK and Iceland.

Actor Stanley Tucci will appear in his first British television role as DCI Morton, a detective who has flown in to the peaceful close-knit community of Fortitude, as the local head of police, played by Richard Dormer, leads an investigation into a murder. Christopher Eccleston also joins the cast as a British scientist who heads up the Arctic Biology department at the Fortitude Arctic Research Centre. The Killing star Sofie Gråbøl will play the Governor of Fortitude in her first UK TV role. Also Michael Gambon will appear as Henry Tyson, a wildlife photographer who only has weeks left to live.

Cast

UK - Premieres Thursday 29 at 9pm, on Sky Atlantic

US - PIVOT TO PREMIERE FORTITUDE, NETWORK’S FIRST ORIGINAL DRAMA SERIES, ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 29 AT 10:00 PM ET WITH A TWO-HOUR TELEVISION EVENT

Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYTjJRhCXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84359240&v=JqpH9NmmQPE&x-yt-ts=1421782837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMI2fvc9FwA&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=J3y_yfukPdI&x-yt-cl=84359240

was on too late/long for me to squeeze into a weekday but I will hopefully be able to find the time at the weekend. Reminds me a lot of Greg Rucka's comic (and film) Whiteout but with a far more interesting cast.

Thought it was very good.Great production values,great acting and cast.The episode merits watching twice,just to catch certain subtleties and potential plot devices.Can't wait for episode 2 tonight.

Thought it was very good.Great production values,great acting and cast.The episode merits watching twice,just to catch certain subtleties and potential plot devices.Can't wait for episode 2 tonight.

the premiere was two episodes and the third episode is tonight, yes?

Interesting - lots of suspects set up, as you would expect for the first episode of a murder mystery. The sheriff is espcially suspicious, IMO.

I think the Sheriff is so obviously suspicious that it's definitely not going to be him, although he's probably up to something.

I liked the second episode (or third if you're counting the premiere as being a double episode) better than the first now that they've moved past having to introduce every character.

I think the Sheriff is so obviously suspicious that it's definitely not going to be him, although he's probably up to something.

He certainly seems to be the obvious red herring. The governor is the other one, but I think she's just trying to cover up the mammoth so she can go ahead with the ice hotel.

Really enjoyed watching the first two eps in one go, it was kind of sad to only get an hour (minus ad breaks) with ep three. It would be great to watch it aired in two hour blocks, as we always record shows we like and watch them another time so we can fast forward through the ads.

I would like to see more polar bears please. I love the snow and ice and general bleakness of the setting.

But I am wondering who is going to snuff it next as it seems inevitable that there will be another murder soon.

The governor is the other one, but I think she's just trying to cover up the mammoth so she can go ahead with the ice hotel.

I don't think it would make any sense for the Governor to kill Christopher Ecclestone without first finding out what he had found on the glacier and who else knew about it.

Really enjoyed watching the first two eps in one go, it was kind of sad to only get an hour (minus ad breaks) with ep three. It would be great to watch it aired in two hour blocks, as we always record shows we like and watch them another time so we can fast forward through the ads.

I would like to see more polar bears please. I love the snow and ice and general bleakness of the setting.

The ending of the third episode did surprise me by how early it seemed, probably because of the 90-minute opener. I think they could have done an interesting show in the setting without needing it to be a murder mystery, although the murder does make it easy to have a reason to bring in an outsider who needs to have the way of life explained to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else still watching this? I'm really enjoying it. Last week's ep shook things up a little, didn't it? It looks like there's going to be some flashbacks to the murder and I am fascinated to see how the kid is involved in it.

Still getting a strong 'The Terror' vibe from this and half hoping that some sort of SyFy snowbeast will be implicated. :)

Is anyone else still watching this? I'm really enjoying it. Last week's ep shook things up a little, didn't it? It looks like there's going to be some flashbacks to the murder and I am fascinated to see how the kid is involved in it.

Still getting a strong 'The Terror' vibe from this and half hoping that some sort of SyFy snowbeast will be implicated. :)

I am, and yes it did. Sheriff Dan continues to be "suspicious man acting suspiciously", but there doesn't seem to be anyone there who isn't suspicious, except maybe the female police officer. I don't have any idea who might have done it, but I do have a list of "suspects who I think didn't do it" - so far this is

Sheriff Dan, Ronnie Morgan (the guy who's taken his daughter camping), Frank and Elena

Also, Markus is really really creepy.

I definitely wouldn't accuse it of being predictable so far, as Malt said there are a few people I don't think were involved but other than that I've really got no clue about the perpetrator or cause of the murder. I must admit admit I wasn't expecting the results of the DNA analysis in the last episode, although at least it does tie together two plotlines that previously seemed unconnected.

Also, Markus is really really creepy.

Is he the one who was feeding his girlfriend's mother whale meat? He is very creepy, everything about him screams potential serial killer, even if as yet there's not the slightest connection between him and the murder.

Is he the one who was feeding his girlfriend's mother whale meat? He is very creepy, everything about him screams potential serial killer, even if as yet there's not the slightest connection between him and the murder.

That's him.

Yes! That scene where they were in bed together had such an air of imminent creepy awfulness that I actually pulled my jumper up over my eyes. I really thought it was going to be some awful cringe-inducing sex scene... but in fact, it was far worse that that!

The revelation of the killer's identity was unexpected, to say the least. I'm really not sure where they're going with that plotline, presumably there must be some more explanation since it all seems a bit random at the moment.

I did like the scene in the hotel between Morton and Dan, although Morton should really have known better than to try the lutefisk.

why is the feeders girlfriend weirdly sick now? is it linked to the illness that the boy has? is it a prehistoric disease from the rubbish looking mammoth?

i'm calling bullshit on a foreign detective just rocking up and taking over. also i don't think i've ever met an american police officer in the Met.

Archived