Who would win in a swordfight? Ser Arthur Dayne vs. Aegon the Conqueror (minus Balerion)

Lonnel Snow

Aegon is stronger while Arthur is more of a proffesional swordsman. Extra strenght is an advantage, Aegon would have been a great swordsmen wielding a great sword with loads of power behind it, sure Arthurs move's would be a bit better, but he would have to handle heavier blows than he would be used to or be able to deliver himself.

We don't know much about Aegon when it comes to personal combat, but don't be fooled by that. You don't conquer a kingdom being an amateur at stuff like this. Aegon did not have the least bit of fear, he would have faced those who challenged him i presume.

Source? No, a fan-made mod doesn't qualify.

Conquering a kingdom is not related to personal combat. Caesar was a 50-year old suffering from epilepsy. Octavian was worse (and no soldier at all). But each of them conquered the entire Roman Empire.

Conquering a kingdom is not related to personal combat. Caesar was a 50-year old suffering from epilepsy. Octavian was worse (and no soldier at all). But each of them conquered the entire Roman Empire.

Very true.

I gennerally find the profile's of warriors fairly well done by the "game of thrones mod" for crusader kings 2. I'd be happy to upload a few more profile's to give a somewhat better reflection of how various warriors would equate to eachother.

For ex.:

Brynden "the blackfish":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/Blackfish.jpg

the blackfish is:

- A brilliant commander

- a skilled warrior

- a knight

- quickwitted

- celibate

- brave

- authorative

- diligent

- just

x8 skilled warior; x1.5 quickwitted; x2 brave = x24

vs aegon or Ser arthur dayne, the blackfish has only about 20% chance of wining, while they have 80% chance. In extremes in the game one with such lower odds might still win, the chance is just much lower.

Ser gregor Clegane "the mountain"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/Mountain.jpg

Ser gregor is:

- a dutifull commander

- huge

- Strong

- a imbecile

- a knight

- a trained warrior

- dishonerable

- Brave

- Cruel

- Wroth

- humble

x 4 trained warrior; x 2 strong; x2 huge; x2 brave; /2 imbecile; x2 wroth = x32. Would likely kill the blackfish, would die against Arthur or Aegon likely.

Oberyn martel the red viper

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/viper.jpg

Oberyn is:

- an illusive shadow (spymaster education)

- attractive

- formidable warrior

- a hedonist

- diligent

- proud

- deceitfull

- authorative

- brave

- patient

- gregarious

- just

- lustfull

x 16 formidable warrior; x2 brave; x1.5 deceitfull = x48, would likely kill blackfish and mountain, still big chance of loosing versus Aegon or Arthur.

I gennerally find the profile's of warriors fairly well done by the "game of thrones mod" for crusader kings 2. I'd be happy to upload a few more profile's to give a somewhat better reflection of how various warriors would equate to eachother.

For ex.:

Brynden "the blackfish":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/Blackfish.jpg

the blackfish is:

- A brilliant commander

- a skilled warrior

- a knight

- quickwitted

- celibate

- brave

- authorative

- diligent

- just

x8 skilled warior; x1.5 quickwitted; x2 brave = x24

vs aegon or Ser arthur dayne, the blackfish has only about 20% chance of wining, while they have 80% chance. In extremes in the game one with such lower odds might still win, the chance is just much lower.

Ser gregor Clegane "the mountain"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/Mountain.jpg

Ser gregor is:

- a dutifull commander

- huge

- Strong

- a imbecile

- a knight

- a trained warrior

- dishonerable

- Brave

- Cruel

- Wroth

- humble

x 4 trained warrior; x 2 strong; x2 huge; x2 brave; /2 imbecile; x2 wroth = x32. Would likely kill the blackfish, would die against Arthur or Aegon likely.

Oberyn martel the red viper

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97664399/viper.jpg

Oberyn is:

- an illusive shadow (spymaster education)

- attractive

- formidable warrior

- a hedonist

- diligent

- proud

- deceitfull

- authorative

- brave

- patient

- gregarious

- just

- lustfull

x 16 formidable warrior; x2 brave; x1.5 deceitfull = x48, would likely kill blackfish and mountain, still big chance of loosing versus Aegon or Arthur.

Lol this is off topic but I definitely wouldn't say thst the Mountain That Rides is humble.

yeah lol it's no definitive answer but then again WHAT IS? We can have endless discussions going back and forth over minor points when discussing who's going to beat who, or we can make up a list of rules or modifiers that go with traits we atribute to certain characters and then give a rough calculation of the chances where one will win or loose versus the other, afourse with a good margin of error to account for how people review characters differently.

But if people would more assing numbers to it then it be easier to get a sort of reflection of how the chances would be by how it's seen by the average person here.

I find that simply reviewing characters more in depth on the bases of modifiers similar to the ones used above should stil lgive a better reflection of individual advantage's and disadvantage's than simply one's own single opinion. Note that a mod like that for ex. is made by a fairly large team that needs to agree on balance for what regards these matters and who also get plenty of input about these matters from a a lot of players who happen to be readers and like this mod, and its poppular. So its not the bible in this regard, but imho it has done a far better job at reviewing book characters in this regards than this community ever has. Because most discussions regarding these matters tend to lack in substantce.

Well, that's just sad.

Especially since anything about Aegon is based on virtually nothing. For example the "strong" attribute. Not a single hint anywhere, Probably made up to fill the numbers.

But i"m not saying it's the bible of all correct information in that regard, but it still beats the inate discussions regarding such subjects raging in this forum imho.

If you want to give a better review of Aegons strenghts and weaknesses, and propose better rules to review characters, go ahead.

Lol this is off topic but I definitely wouldn't say thst the Mountain That Rides is humble.

Well he's Tywin's dog.

Well, that's just sad.

Especially since anything about Aegon is based on virtually nothing. For example the "strong" attribute. Not a single hint anywhere, Probably made up to fill the numbers.

Yeah I agree. Its good for balancing a video game but in the actual story we don't know enough about Aegon's martial prowess. It would have been an epic fight. I can see them sizing each other up. Kind of like that picture of Lyonel Baratheon and Duncan the Tall about to face off in TWOIAF.

"Aegon was tall, broad shouldered and powerful in appearance, with purple eyes and short-cut silver-gold hair." (reference to SSM targaryan kings nov 2005)

"He was a great warrior who wielded a sword called Blackfyre but only rode his dragon for battle or travel and never entered tourneys."

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_I_Targaryen

Easy choice, in a sword fight Ser Arthur Dayne one of the best swordsman in asoiaf history....

Aegon is a much more important figure but this fight is not about dragon riding nor conquering nor effects on westeros lore...

In a sword fight aegon might be good but he´s fighting a legendary swordsman, it´s dayne´s fight to lose :)

". He was a great warrior who wielded a sword called Blackfyre"

Yeah well, "great warrior" can mean anything. There are many people in the world of ASoIaF who could be called that. Robert, Blackfish, Ned, Rhaegar. I think even Tywin is called that once and he is more of a strategist, so it doesn't necessarily mean they are good fighters. And I wouldn't see any of those win against the Sword of the Morning (maybe except for Robert in his prime, but I even doubt that)

idk i mean even in the world book when aegon fought one on one he never lost it seems (although one was against a fool), but i would give the edge to ser arthur so i say him. A better fight would have been arthur vs maegor (a stronger and more savage version of aegon)

According to the world book, Aegon never fought one to one. Not even in a tourney or melee.

According to the world book, Aegon never fought one to one. Not even in a tourney or melee.

According to the world book he returned to the iron isles in 2 AC and killed the strongest pretender who wanted to claim the seas stone chair in one on one combat. He also killed the fool from house toland that challenged him to single combat. So he has fought people one v one and won.

Archived