My first re-read

Waiting for Howland

Hey guys, I'm about to start my first re-read and I was completely blown away by the incredible amount of depth and detail and back story of the books. All this detail I find would be too intense to cover in one re-read so I was looking for advice as to which topics or topic I should center my re-read on. I like small details or big conspiracy theories so I'm really looking for anything, just some different ideas. I'm leaning toward the varys/illyrio thing tho... but let me know please!

I am finding myself completely enjoying a straight through re read while highlighting any point I find significant and then exploring that point for a while and then continuing on. But that is what works for me. I would suggest digging deeper on the characters/story lines you find most interesting first and investigating those like doing a reread of certain characters pov or investigating theories you find intriguing. Sounds like the link from Rhaena Sandship is good start on the theories!

I'll tell you a small tale of a reread I never did and the one I'm doing now. It was supposed to be about Daenerys. I was going to interpret her chapters as a young women's journey to conqueror, but aside from that just being an assumption right now, I realized that I'm just not as passionate about Dany. I do love her, but I realized long ago that my true passion in this fandom was Catelyn.

I decided to pull together the Family, Duty, Honor reread because I hadn't seen anything quite like it in the both this reread subforum or online anywhere. I'd seen a few blogs and tumblrs for her, but nothing like what I envisioned. I based the template of it on the famous Jon Snow reread, and asked for input from some of the veteran posters. I got a few names, and eventually we worked it out. It's still going strong.

My most basic advice would be to find a topic you're passionate about.

I won't say don't do something that's already been done, but I'm not sure how well treading old ground would be... Example, a Jon Snow/Dany reread probably wouldn't be very popular. I don't think you'd be stepping on any toes, per se, but we have many threads of those. What I really like lately is the Parallel Journies reread. It's a nice take in a slightly new direction. If you can come up with some angle, I say go for it. Just some spitballing right now, I'd like to see a good Eddard reread that isn't just idiots who think they can take him down a few pegs. I'd like to see a good Tyrion reread or a Cersei. Both could have good potential for humor, and analysis. You could even go abstract and do a Rhaegar Reread. That would be no stranger than the Stannis reread or the direwolves reread.

Good luck on it.

Thanks guys for your input. I've been doing a general re-read so far an writing down interesting points and after GoT I might go back and do a pointed Eddard analysis like stoneheart said because like him I'm kinda tired of the Ned bashing lol. Also check out some of the theories for things to look for on the general re-read thanks again guys!

Archived