Arya's Future?

Ser Pounce FTW

Her development in Braavos so far has included learning the ways of the city, making contacts in the harbour and learning how to make money. I think she'll find out about Jon/Rickon and decide to go help them and with few ships venturing North these days Massey (or Tycho Nestoris) seem like the only viable options. Unless she goes to the Riverlands first, which is also an option because the author has spent way too much time setting up Arya's connection to the Riverlands (Nymeria, BWB, Gendry, Harrenhal etc) for it to play no role.

Oh no doubt, just because she may meet Massey or (F)Arya doesn't mean she will be headin back north. Stannis may march south, or she may end up hearing about what happened to jonny at the wall and decied to go cross some names off of her list. Of course some folks feel she may have a reunions with Momma or Sansa at some point

There are some things I'm sure of, such as: she will connect to Nymeria and her wolf pack (GRRM himself has called them the Chekhov's Gun he's going to use); she will meet the Brotherhood again, including Gendry, and Lady Stoneheart. It would be fitting if she were to give the gift of mercy to her mother.

But I'm sure she'll do a lot of other important things, too. The Stark kids are poised to come into their own and play big roles in the resolution of the story in its last act (Time for Wolves... aka Dream of Spring).

My favorite hypothesis is that she will kill or somehow bring down Varys. It's something that I started thinking about while reading "Mercy" and contemplating the facts that Arya is with a mummer's troupe, as Varys was once, when he was a boy. He is not literally a magician and he can't change his face as an FM, but he's incredibly skilled in changing his appearance through clothes, fake facial hair etc. That's a lot of parallels with him and Arya in her current occupation. Being a FM is probably the only way she could get in the position to do so, and the entire FM thing is a great setup for her to kill someone really important and powerful. And she was the one who overheard Varys and Illyrio in the Red Keep in AGOT, talking about (metaphorical) "wizards" and "mummery". Varys is also associated with the concept of a mummer through the phrase "mummer's dragon" (which I believe means "fake dragon" but also "fake dragon used by a puppetmaster").

Since I think Sansa is set up to bring Littlefinger down, and there are lots of parallels between the arcs of the two Stark sisters, it would be perfect if Arya, in the meantime, is the one to bring Varys down.

I didn't even know that others had the same idea until I read the Moments of Foreshadowing thread; this is a great find:

She will behead Varys. It`s predicted in Arya III of AGOT

Arya II AGOT while hiding hears illyrio call varys a wizard and sorceror, later asks her fathers guards if they can protect him from wizards . They reply wizards die like any man if you cut their heads off

There are some things I'm sure of, such as: she will connect to Nymeria and her wolf pack (GRRM himself has called them the Chekhov's Gun he's going to use); she will meet the Brotherhood again, including Gendry, and Lady Stoneheart. It would be fitting if she were to give the gift of mercy to her mother.

But I'm sure she'll do a lot of other important things, too. The Stark kids are poised to come into their own and play big roles in the resolution of the story in its last act (Time for Wolves... aka Dream of Spring).

My favorite hypothesis is that she will kill or somehow bring down Varys. It's something that I started thinking about while reading "Mercy" and contemplating the facts that Arya is with a mummer's troupe, as Varys was once, when he was a boy. He is not literally a magician and he can't change his face as an FM, but he's incredibly skilled in changing his appearance through clothes, fake facial hair etc. That's a lot of parallels with him and Arya in her current occupation. Being a FM is probably the only way she could get in the position to do so, and the entire FM thing is a great setup for her to kill someone really important and powerful. And she was the one who overheard Varys and Illyrio in the Red Keep in AGOT, talking about (metaphorical) "wizards" and "mummery". Varys is also associated with the concept of a mummer through the phrase "mummer's dragon" (which I believe means "fake dragon" but also "fake dragon used by a puppetmaster").

Since I think Sansa is set up to bring Littlefinger down, and there are lots of parallels between the arcs of the two Stark sisters, it would be perfect if Arya, in the meantime, is the one to bring Varys down.

I didn't even know that others had the same idea until I read the Moments of Foreshadowing thread; this is a great find:

I like this. Arya and Sansa bring down Littlefinger and Varys, and take their roles for the next king/queen. Would be so sweet. Of course that means there is some bitter, so Jon probably dies. :(

IMHO the problem with killing Varys is that the FM won't send her to kill someone she knows as that's against the rules and she has no motivation to do it on her own. He's not on her list. Of course, that might change if she finds out it was Varys and Illyrio she overheard back in AGOT, but that would be quite hard with both characters being miles away, and even if she finds out it was them she has no reason to blame Varys over Joffrey, Cersei etc.

IMHO the problem with killing Varys is that the FM won't send her to kill someone she knows as that's against the rules and she has no motivation to do it on her own. He's not on her list. Of course, that might change if she finds out it was Varys and Illyrio she overheard back in AGOT, but that would be quite hard with both characters being miles away, and even if she finds out it was them she has no reason to blame Varys over Joffrey, Cersei etc.

Joffrey is dead, and Cersei is on a self-destruct path. GRRM having Arya kill Cersei would be a waste of her FM training.

As for her assignments, Arya has already demonstrated the willingness to use the advantages of her FM training to kill people she was not assigned to kill. She was never an obedient person.

Joffrey is dead, and Cersei is on a self-destruct path. GRRM having Arya kill Cersei would be a waste of her FM training.

As for her assignments, Arya has already demonstrated the willingness to use the advantages of her FM training to kill people she was not assigned to kill. She was never an obedient person.

I'm not disputing that I'm asking what reason and motivation Arya would have to target Varys specifically. He's not done her or her family any harm that she knows of (or we know of, really) and she's not personally invested in seeing him dead at this point (unlike the people on her list).

Getting back to the redemption...It may be that we have yet to see the worst of what Arya is going to do and at some point we may not be able to chalk up what she does to the trauma she has experienced. It may be something so vile that she needs redemption and by end of story is somehow redeemed.

What got me thinking about Arya in this way was a comment made by Maisie Williams during an interview sometime ago. Now please don't start bashing me with the Show is not the Books, its not cannon...ect...ect...I know all that. I only bring it up because it got me thinking about Arya in a different vein. She compared Arya to Darth Vader. She said that with Vader we started off knowing how bad he could be and the terrible things he did and then went back and found out what made him that way, with Arya its the opposite. So can Arya be turning into a Darth Vader character who will do terrible things before she redeems herself at the end?

Getting back to the redemption...It may be that we have yet to see the worst of what Arya is going to do and at some point we may not be able to chalk up what she does to the trauma she has experienced. It may be something so vile that she needs redemption and by end of story is somehow redeemed.

What got me thinking about Arya in this way was a comment made by Maisie Williams during an interview sometime ago. Now please don't start bashing me with the Show is not the Books, its not cannon...ect...ect...I know all that. I only bring it up because it got me thinking about Arya in a different vein. She compared Arya to Darth Vader. She said that with Vader we started off knowing how bad he could be and the terrible things he did and then went back and found out what made him that way, with Arya its the opposite. So can Arya be turning into a Darth Vader character who will do terrible things before she redeems herself at the end?

I think that is well put

I didn't put it well, but this was along the lines of what I've been thinking...we haven't seen full-on 'Evil Arya' yet and she's possibly going down some very dark roads before the end of the series. I agree that she's not really in need of a redemption arc at this time, but with just a nudge from GRRM she could be.

What about Arya protecting Sansa without dying?

But in general no, protecting Sansa is not Arya's endgame; there are some serious indications that this wasn't the reason she was created by the author.

You mean the serious indication that Sansa was created as a foil to Arya and not the other way around? Arya's fate is not dependant on Sansa.

It think Arya will return to the High Heart at some point.

You mean the serious indication that Sansa was created as a foil to Arya and not the other way around? Arya's fate is not dependant on Sansa.

Yes, that, as well as the fact that she has 34 chapters all of her own, with possible foreshadowing and clues for so many different things except for becoming dependent on some other character (any character, not just Sansa).

Don't get me wrong, I like Sansa a lot too, but I find it a strange and unpleasant sort of wishful thinking (since it's totally textually unfounded) to have the one girl die in order to propel the story of the other.

(I especially dislike the fanfiction where Arya has to die so that Sansa can get her direwolf...)

Yes, that, as well as the fact that she has 34 chapters all of her own, with possible foreshadowing and clues for so many different things except for becoming dependent on some other character (any character, not just Sansa).

Don't get me wrong, I like Sansa a lot too, but I find it a strange and unpleasant sort of wishful thinking (since it's totally textually unfounded) to have the one girl die in order to propel the story of the other.

(I especially dislike the fanfiction where Arya has to die so that Sansa can get her direwolf...)

One of the most common flaws in a lot of speculations about any individual character is how they can tend to treat other characters as little more than accessories. The cited prediction is a good example -- for a reverse situation with the same characters, the number of times people speculate that Arya is going to kill "Alayne Stone", where the latter becomes little more than fodder for Arya.

There are some things I'm sure of, such as: she will connect to Nymeria and her wolf pack

Yes. The fact that she named her wolf Nymeria suggests to me that her story will parallel the historical Nymeria, that Arya will lead people to Westeros in order to escape Dany.

It would be fitting if she were to give the gift of mercy to her mother.

A few years ago I suggested that LS could be seen as a metaphor for Arya's vengeance. I think she'll give the gift of mercy to LS when she's ready to lay down her vengeance quest.

My favorite hypothesis is that she will kill or somehow bring down Varys.

I read this on the foreshadowing thread before I saw your post here, but I love the idea. It fits very well.

One of the most common flaws in a lot of speculations about any individual character is how they can tend to treat other characters as little more than accessories. The cited prediction is a good example -- for a reverse situation with the same characters, the number of times people speculate that Arya is going to kill "Alayne Stone", where the latter becomes little more than fodder for Arya.

I agree, this one is also one of those weird and flawed speculations, like Dany being no more than gift bearer for Jon... the characters exist in relation to other characters that have their own story, this must always be considered in any analysis that aspires to be anything more than wishful thinking.

The passage about finding Arya's body with her needle in her hand is often quoted to support the theory that she will die. However, the passage does not say she is dead. It says they will find her body. This leaves the possibility open that as a warg she can live on in anothers body, human or animal or that when they find her she is in the catatonic warg state. There are many possibilities.

Good point, I hope your right

She's going to die, one way or another, but probably -thankfully- AFTER je kicked some butts.

1) Hint from what Jon told her in the very beginning at Winterfell

2) She is totally damaged goods, there is no happy ending for her, even if she'd realize that moste of her siblings are still alive

3) The Faceless man will not allow her just roaming around and (mis)using her new found powers for personal revange,

I think they will hunt her down - if she doesn't die before by herself in the (hopefully successful) attempt to kill someone MAJOR

Archived