NFL Suberb Owl: Evil Empire vs Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Patriots.

They have the best secondary Wilson and his receivers will have gone against this year. Baldwin is ranked like 42nd and he's the Seahawks leading receiver. They are getting shutdown rather easily. Belichick's likely going to be able to focus most of his effort on the front line containing Wilson and stuffing Lynch. They just don't have the same scheme and personnel as the Ravens on offense to run as effectively while threatening the pass, which was the reason Forsett got going in that game. I'd be shocked if Seattle puts up much more than 20. Personally I cap them at 24.

Likewise, the Patriots offense is going to be one of if not the best offense they have seen all year. The Patriots have the most adaptable offense in the NFL. When they went on that streak where they crushed the Cincinatti, Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, and Detroit, they did that 5 different ways. Seattle has a mantra of "our defense doesn't react to offenses, offenses react to us". They are great, but they are very static. And the Patriots are the best team really to adapt to them. Gronk is still going to be a matchup problem for someone and Seattle is doubtful to change for him, and if they do, it's really new territory for that defense. Sherman is great on deep threats, but he isn't as amazing on the more shifty guys, so I wouldn't be surprised if they can get some stuff going with Edelman there.

And I don't if it's worth mentioning, but the last time Belichick and Brady had some public drama like this they took it out on the league and dominated some of the best teams in the league for an entire year. They are going to be a very angry and very motivated team with a huge chip on their shoulder.

I'll go 27-17

Patriots.

They have the best secondary Wilson and his receivers will have gone against this year. Baldwin is ranked like 42nd and he's the Seahawks leading receiver. They are getting shutdown rather easily. Belichick's likely going to be able to focus most of his effort on the front line containing Wilson and stuffing Lynch. They just don't have the same scheme and personnel as the Ravens on offense to run as effectively while threatening the pass, which was the reason Forsett got going in that game. I'd be shocked if Seattle puts up much more than 20. Personally I cap them at 24.

Likewise, the Patriots offense is going to be one of if not the best offense they have seen all year. The Patriots have the most adaptable offense in the NFL. When they went on that streak where they crushed the Cincinatti, Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, and Detroit, they did that 5 different ways. Seattle has a mantra of "our defense doesn't react to offenses, offenses react to us". They are great, but they are very static. And the Patriots are the best team really to adapt to them. Gronk is still going to be a matchup problem for someone and Seattle is doubtful to change for him, and if they do, it's really new territory for that defense. Sherman is great on deep threats, but he isn't as amazing on the more shifty guys, so I wouldn't be surprised if they can get some stuff going with Edelman there.

And I don't if it's worth mentioning, but the last time Belichick and Brady had some public drama like this they took it out on the league and dominated some of the best teams in the league for an entire year. They are going to be a very angry and very motivated team with a huge chip on their shoulder.

I'll go 27-17

But they lost in the Super Bowl, so what does that mean?

But they lost in the Super Bowl, so what does that mean?

That Giants team was a perfect match up for that. People forget but in week 17 the Giants of all the teams in the league that year put up the biggest lead against the Pats all year. I don't think Seattle matches up with them as well. The Giants had a better defensive line, the Patriots have nullified the two best defensive lines in the league this year. And lets not get into that whole play that ended in the helmet catch.

Something has been nagging me about the Belichik press conference, and that is when he said the Pats gave the footballs to the officials and asked them to inflate the balls to 12.5 PSI. All the reports I've heard or read since this all began claim that officials simply check the pressure to make sure it is within the pressure range. But twice in his press conference Belichik claims the officials were told by the Pats to inflate the balls to 12.5 PSI.

ETA: I'm not saying this is proof of anything. Just that it's a little odd that a guy who said he spent a lot of time learning about the process of preparing the football would make that mistake twice. I mean Rock has pointed out multiple times that Aaron Rogers has said he tries to sneak through balls that are over-inflated. This obviously could not be possible if the refs have to inflate each ball.

So it looks like the officials would inflate a ball, but only if it was below the minimum when they tested it. It doesn't appear though that they inflate balls to any teams specification. Here's a quick video on the process.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-video-how-nfl-officials-check-game-ball-pressure/

So it looks like the officials would inflate a ball, but only if it was below the minimum when they tested it. It doesn't appear though that they inflate balls to any teams specification. Here's a quick video on the process.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-video-how-nfl-officials-check-game-ball-pressure/

Right. I think that's what Belicheck meant when he said it, but you're right, I found that part odd as well. The way he worded it, it sounded like he said the refs actually inflate the balls.

*Says she is not usually drawn to black guys*

*First on the list of hot guys is Michael Vick*

LOL

Key word there is 'usually'. I'm not usually attracted to black guys. But have you seen Michael Vick? He's fucking gorgeous.

Shame about that dog killing thing.

Well it's about what's likely vs what you can prove. The balls were in the custody of the refs then right before the game a ball boy who was in public view the entire game, in the exact same spot. If Schefter's reports are true, then they probably don't have any evidence of him screwing with the balls, whether that's video or a confession.

If the NFL has nothing, then then Patriots pretty much have to get the benefit of the doubt.

Don't the ball boys keep the balls in a little sack on their chests? Wouldn't it be really easy to slip one of those needle things into the sack and deflate the ball with no one noticing? I wouldn't be exactly accurate, I'm sure. But if you know how fast they deflate, you could get a good spitball estimate.

This PFT article on the Belichick press conference actually discusses some of the points you guys have raised.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/belichicks-explanation-on-inflation-raises-new-questions/

As for the Superb Owl, I think Seattle will win and win comfortably. It will not be a blowout, but I see them winning by more than a TD.

I've got the Seachickens as well in a close, low scoring game. I'm thinking that 20 points should win it. Looking forward to Gronk vs Chancellor, and Brady vs that Seachicken secondary. I'm thinking this one will turn on one big defensive or special teams play. Either a pick six or perhaps a blocked field goal or punt. Whichever team manages to be on the right side of that should be the victor. 20-17 Seachickens.

I think the Pats win by 10. The injuries to Sherman and Thomas will affect the Seahawks and I just can't see their WRs getting open against the Pats secondary.

Not sure they have to. I'd say Lynch and Wilson's run games are the more important factor. If Lynch breaks 100 yds and Wilson gets 40-50yds, that should be all the Seachickens need, so long as the defense holds up.

I'm not going to be surprised if the Seahawks do to New England what they did to Denver last year...

That being said, it's still a coin flip...

Though I read an interesting stat today that Russell Wilson is 8-0 against Rodgers, Brady, Manning, and Brees...

Not sure they have to. I'd say Lynch and Wilson's run games are the more important factor. If Lynch breaks 100 yds and Wilson gets 40-50yds, that should be all the Seachickens need, so long as the defense holds up.

Wilson doesn't normally run until the 4th quarter. Lynch may or may not have a good game. Patriots run defense is pretty good. Still, not sure how the Seahawks stop the Patriots with their two best defensive players injured.

Archived