If Renly didn't declare himself King, would Stannis still kill him for his soldiers?

Lee-Sensei

Stannis would have tried to get Renly on his side and made an appeal for his men, sure. I don't think he would have killed him.

Renly couldn't afford to stay neutral because he knows the Lannisters hate him. He'd have either to crown himself or support Stannis.

Also this. If you're Renly and you don't crown yourself, Stannis is the best option.

@Winterfell is Burning He actually could. Just go and stay at Storms End. The Lannisters were to busy dealing with Robb Stark at that point to attack him... and if he's not taking up arms against him, Tywin's not going to provoke him. He's to smart for that.

@Bright Blue Eyes They wouldn't though.

@Winterfell is Burning He actually could. Just go and stay at Storms End. The Lannisters were to busy dealing with Robb Stark at that point to attack him... and if he's not taking up arms against him, Tywin's not going to provoke him. He's to smart for that.

@Bright Blue Eyes They wouldn't though.

Why are you posing a question when you have already settled on an answer?

@Apple Martini What answer did I give? I said that Renly could stay at Storms End and his bannermen wouldn't follow Stannis against his orders so I'm curious about what people think Stannis would do. Would he give up? Would he stay at Storms End and try to persuade Renly to join him?

@Apple Martini What answer did I give? I said that Renly could stay at Storms End and his bannermen wouldn't follow Stannis against his orders so I'm curious about what people think Stannis would do. Would he give up? Would he stay at Storms End and try to persuade Renly to join him?

People answered that no, they don't think Stannis would kill Renly. You seem to disagree. So why not just frame your thread as a case of, "I think Stannis would kill Renly even if Renly hadn't crowned himself" and be done with it?

People answered that no, they don't think Stannis would kill Renly. You seem to disagree. So why not just frame your thread as a case of, "I think Stannis would kill Renly even if Renly hadn't crowned himself" and be done with it?

if stannis never order renly to have his men join stannis's men then he could just leave him alone but No way stannis doesn't ask.

First of all, Renly is not Tywin, nor he's really feared. Had him stayed neutral, many of his bannermen would still go for Stannis.

Second, like I said, Renly DOES NOT have the option to stay neutral. While Tywin might leave him alone at first, eventually he would deal with him.

Because then there would be less trolling opportunities.

@Apple Martini You need to calm down and stop accusing me. I never said that I think Stannis would murder Renly for his soldiers. I'm not sure, which is why I made this thread. To see what other people think. There was no ulterior motive. I didn't say I disagreed about Stannis not murdering Renly. I said that Renlys bannermen would follow Stannis over him and that Renly could just stay at Storms End and Tywin wouldn't have attacked him.

@Winterfell is Burning Why do you think Tywin would attack a neutral Renly? Cersei might, but she's not the power behind the Lannisters at that point.

First of all, Renly is not Tywin, nor he's really feared. Had him stayed neutral, many of his bannermen would still go for Stannis.

Second, like I said, Renly DOES NOT have the option to stay neutral. While Tywin might leave him alone at first, eventually he would deal with him.

Because then there would be less trolling opportunities.

yeah he doesn't get a neutral option to me either.

I'm confused. King Joffrey ordered him specifically to come to King's Landing and pledge his loyalty. He is either going to war or going to bend his knee. Whether he goes to war as a lord or as a king, he has to fight or bend the knee to somebody.

@Apple Martini You need to calm down and stop accusing me. I never said that I think Stannis would murder Renly for his soldiers. I'm not sure, which is why I made this thread. To see what other people think. There was no ulterior motive. I didn't say I disagreed about Stannis not murdering Renly. I said that Renlys bannermen would follow Stannis over him and that Renly could just stay at Storms End and Tywin wouldn't have attacked him.

I'm perfectly calm, just amused.

I don't think we know for sure what the Stormlanders would have done if Renly hadn't crowned himself. Renly crowning himself gave them a king to follow, but if Renly hadn't done that, what, they'd have no king? If Renly didn't have the Tyrells (which he wouldn't have had without making Margaery his queen), are the Stormlanders as eager to follow him? When Renly's cause was lost, most of the Stormlanders did actually defect to Stannis.

ETA: And as MyLittleFinger pointed out, Renly is in deep shit with the crown anyway once he decides not to pay fealty to Joffrey. There is no "staying neutral" here.

@My Littlefinger You're right. I forgot that Joffrey had called him to KL to bend the knee. But then again, I think he called Doran to KL to bend the knee too and he didn't.

@Apple Martini Really? It didn't seem like that to me. I'm not trolling and I haven't made up my mind. In a recent post of mine I argued that Renly and Stannis weren't stupid for confronting each other because Stannis needed the strength of the Storlmands to take KL and Renly was better off letting his enemies weaken themselves so he could pick up the pieces when they were done. From there I got to thinking about it and came up with this thread. It's not Stannis hate thread and it's not about trolling. I just wanted to get a dialogue going on about this. Tywin says Stannis would fight to the end and then some, but he didn't have the men for it at the time. That's what this is about so take it easy. :P

@Winterfell is Burning I see what you're saying, but Lysa (while not popular or charismatic) wasn't attacked despite staying neutral and being vocal about disliking the Lannisters (in fact, I think most of the High Lords have expressed a dislike for the Lannisters outside of the Westerlands).

Archived