Does Will Power Exist?

Weeping Sore

36 days no smoking here and losing weight pursuant to cessation-oriented prophylactic south beach.

ergo: stronger than the foundations of the earth all shall love me and despair &c.?

or rather nexus of particular historical forces that supersede desires contained within alleged 'will'?

It has been shown that will power demonstrably decreases with decision fatigue, e.g. at the end of a long day or when your blood sugar is low.

Analytical thinking to evaluate consequences and weigh a decision requires a lot of sugar in your brain cells. As those reserves get depleted you stop analyzing consequences and either make instinctual decisions using low-effort heuristics or you under-count consequences and so do thinks that are immediately pleasurable, e.g. stress eating.

Check out Kahnemann

36 days no smoking here and losing weight pursuant to cessation-oriented prophylactic south beach.

ergo: stronger than the foundations of the earth all shall love me and despair &c.?

or rather nexus of particular historical forces that supersede desires contained within alleged 'will'?

Stay strong, Solo.Stay strong.

whynotboth.jpg?

Is there such a thing as will power? If so, how do you get it or lose it? If you willfully abdicate your will, does your subsequent powerlessness count as an expression of your will?

Is there a tangible thing of will power? No.

Is the ability to have one desire override another present? Yes.

Archived