Football XXXVII - Brad'four'd march on

Zoë Sumra

That was the one clear chance they had and Koscielny got a boot on it which pushed it over the players who were about to smash it in. Other than that though, can't really remember a single other real chance they had.

I think their players made a couple of wrong decisions on the ball when they were breaking against Arsenal, maybe they weren't direct chances, but on another day, I think they would have done better from those positions. Winning big away games is bloody hard, and I think with a combination of a bit of luck and taking advantage of the chances that were presented to us ( and not making mistakes, of course) we did well to win. I just think the reaction to that defeat, especially the one in the press, and amongst the few city fans I follow was a bit over the top.

Edit: I also think Arsenal have played like that before, in several games, we just managed to do it really well in that one. And get the first goal, which is very important.

Definitely wasn't angling to write City off; the comments I made on what I thought were the reasons behind their demise against Middlesbrough were very much short-term effects rather than long-term.

But to bring back the point on a trip to the Middle East...

I still reject this thesis. The players played on the Wednesday (about half a game each at most), spent the next 2 days in the lap of luxury, and flew home in what I imagine to be the most comfortable plane ever invented by mankind. Not to mention the actual game which could barely be qualified as football.

Sometimes a team just plays like dickheads. The lack of Toure and the return of others from injury has a much more significant bearing on matters.

We played just as badly against Arsenal and there wasn't a trip to play a glorified training session before that. City have many problems but blaming a mid week friendly seems to be the easy way out to avoid asking questions with less palatable answers (which, unfortunately, a lot of City fans have done).

If everything about the trip was that good (lap of luxury travel and accommodation, tame kick about rather than full match) then it might have been worth saving for this week before playing Chelsea on Saturday.

I get that you're saying other factors were more important, which I agree with (Toure out, Kompany and Aguero rusty) - I just think the trip was more of an issue than you do.

Honestly, I think this talk about City being ordinary is just a reaction to some bad circumstances and don't really see it as very accurate. We do this once a year for about a month and then come back very strong. Writing City off or dismissing us before the very end hasn't historically been a good move, especially in recent years. You all need to cool your guns a bit.

I'm certainly not writing City off. But I don't think anyone can deny that their January performances and results have been below par, perhaps a little .... ordinary? But once Toure returns from the ACN, Aguero gets back to his best, and Kompany drags his form out of the toilet, they'll become very hard to beat again.

Still reckon we might catch you, though. ;)

I think their players made a couple of wrong decisions on the ball when they were breaking against Arsenal, maybe they weren't direct chances, but on another day, I think they would have done better from those positions. Winning big away games is bloody hard, and I think with a combination of a bit of luck and taking advantage of the chances that were presented to us ( and not making mistakes, of course) we did well to win. I just think the reaction to that defeat, especially the one in the press, and amongst the few city fans I follow was a bit over the top.

Edit: I also think Arsenal have played like that before, in several games, we just managed to do it really well in that one. And get the first goal, which is very important.

I guess. I have a hard time giving credit to City for making wrong decisions and claiming that they were good because if they made right decisions, they might have had more chances. Too many "if" situations that doesn't reflect what actually happened.

You're right though, we've tried to play that way before but with the wrong personnel. The biggest difference was Coquelin. Without him, we likely would have faced a similar result to previous attempts.

And Mormont, would you honestly describe Man City's performances and results in January as anything other than ordinary?

By what standards?

By the standards of a team aspiring to win the EPL or the CL, a City or a Barcelona or a Chelsea,, say: or by the standards of a team aspiring to promotion to the EPL, like Middlesborough?

I mean, this point doesn't hold much water if an 'ordinary' performance by City would have been expected to do the job. And it would have, but for a very strong performance by Middlesborough. All this chat about Toure and Aguero's form, it seems to me, risks rather underplaying the role that the winning team played in their own success.

I guess. I have a hard time giving credit to City for making wrong decisions and claiming that they were good because if they made right decisions, they might have had more chances. Too many "if" situations that doesn't reflect what actually happened.

It sounds stupid when you say it like that, but it's like when you're an attacker and you're 2 v 1 against a defender, and you mess up the pass or dally on the ball for too long. I think City had a few situations like that ( not that specific one, of course), especially from the start of the second half until we scored, where they broke with the numerical advantage, but just couldn't get the goal.

Edit: All this talk about Middlesborough means we're going to get spanked at home when we play them.

By what standards?

By the standards of a team aspiring to win the EPL or the CL, a City or a Barcelona or a Chelsea,, say: or by the standards of a team aspiring to promotion to the EPL, like Middlesborough?

I mean, this point doesn't hold much water if an 'ordinary' performance by City would have been expected to do the job. And it would have, but for a very strong performance by Middlesborough. All this chat about Toure and Aguero's form, it seems to me, risks rather underplaying the role that the winning team played in their own success.

Oh, ffs... Are you that desperate for an argument?

Here are their results over the past four weeks. Hard fucking facts that, despite how much of a hard-on you appear to have for pointing out how wrong I am, do not lie. City have been ordinary, by anyone's fucking standards.

Burnley - 2-2 draw. The league's whipping boys. Should not be being held to a draw at home.

Sunderland - 3-2 victory. Not a convincing performance against one of the worst teams in the league.

Sheffield Weds - 2-1 victory. They only won this due to a spawny injury time winner.

Everton - 1-1 draw. By all accounts, a dreadful performance.

Arsenal 2-0 defeat. Another bad performance.

Middlesborough 2-0 defeat. Need I say more?

Burnley - 2-2 draw. The league's whipping boys. Should not be being held to a draw at home.

While City should obviously be beating Burnley, I think it's a tad harsh to be calling a team who aren't even in the relegation zone, let alone adrift at the bottom, 'whipping boys'.

While City should obviously be beating Burnley, I think it's a tad harsh to be calling a team who aren't even in the relegation zone, let alone adrift at the bottom, 'whipping boys'.

Fair enough. Though I think they were bottom when City drew with them (could be wrong but I can't be bothered checking).

It sounds stupid when you say it like that, but it's like when you're an attacker and you're 2 v 1 against a defender, and you mess up the pass or dally on the ball for too long. I think City had a few situations like that ( not that specific one, of course), especially from the start of the second half until we scored, where they broke with the numerical advantage, but just couldn't get the goal.

Edit: All this talk about Middlesborough means we're going to get spanked at home when we play them.

Yea, there was that 15 minute stretch at the beginning of the 2nd half where the Arsenal of old came back, staring Hollywood Ramsey and his ridiculous presence in the opposing 18 yard box when there was no need. I really thought they were going to score there.

He's being a dick. And I fully expect him to come back with some bullshit explaining why City's result's over the past four weeks have not, in fact, been poor. Or perhaps a semantic argument over the word 'ordinary'.

Look, all I know about City is what I see on the telly, and read in the press. And what Alex posts on here and on twitter. And according to all of these sources, they have been ordinary, or worse.

Fuck knows why Mormont is trying to argue otherwise.

Jesus really? There's no need to get personal on here. This is one of the few threads where that does not happen.

Also, I think Mormont's points are valid too, and it's been argued in a fair manner. I don't think anyone has been rude at all.

I also love Mark Anthony's comment just thrown into the conversation, with no context. :lmao:

Archived