Football XXXVII - Brad'four'd march on

Zoë Sumra

I've said it countless times before and I'll say it countless times again - quite a few sports would benefit from a rule change that would allow occasional scrap between players.

On the matter of football, it would help sort out thugs like pre-Ancelotti era Pepe or Mexes in no time, and you better believe CRonaldo would never dare do what he did last weekend if there was a possibility of his pretty face getting repeatedly punched in retaliation.

Nonsense.

If you allow fighting, it's not the CRonaldos whose behaviour will be affected. It's the Pepes. They'll have license to do whatever damage to opposition players they feel like. Striker a bit too good? Start a fight with him! Job done.

I hesitate to endorse rudeness but I can't honestly disagree with the characterisation of this idea as pure stupidity. You can't dissuade violence on the pitch by allowing more of it.

If you allow fighting, it's not the CRonaldos whose behaviour will be affected. It's the Pepes. They'll have license to do whatever damage to opposition players they feel like. Striker a bit too good? Start a fight with him! Job done.

This just goes to show you have zero idea about ice hockey and fights in it.

This just goes to show you have zero idea about ice hockey and fights in it.

True, I'm not familiar with ice hockey. But let's face it; ice hockey has a certain reputation, which lead me to believe that far from players 'never daring' to do something like what CRonaldo did last weekend, it would instead be considered pretty mild.

Ronaldo suspiciously gets a two match ban instead of three, meaning he'll be able to play in the Madrid derby. That really grinds my gears.

That's ridiculous. I thought it was always 1 game or 3. I didn't know they had the discretion to make it 2. Given it was a straight red for a violent act, I don't understand how it's only 2.

Arsenal finally announces the signing of Gabriel and the loan of Campbell to Villarreal. About time.

ETA: Also, seems the FA is charging Diego Costa with violent conduct following the stamping of Can. He'll miss the City game on Saturday.

Arsenal finally announces the signing of Gabriel and the loan of Campbell to Villarreal. About time.

ETA: Also, seems the FA is charging Diego Costa with violent conduct following the stamping of Can. He'll miss the City game on Saturday.

Excellent news all round.

*grabs popcorn in anticipation of mou's meltdown*

I suspect Chelsea will throw in an appeal, which would probably get the ban lengthened for frivolous appealing but allow him to play at the weekend while the formalities get done.

you better believe CRonaldo would never dare do what he did last weekend if there was a possibility of his pretty face getting repeatedly punched in retaliation.

You can accuse Ronaldo of lots of things, but backing down from intimidation isn't one of them.

Archived