Compare and contrast Randyll and Tywin

TimJames

Tywin is a better parent.

Writing that sentence gave me a new found sympathy for Sam.

Idk about all that. The Tysha incident is worse than anything Randyll did to Sam imo.

The only reason Tywin didn't publicly shame Tyrion, or send him to the Wall or something like that was to protect his own image, and the Lannister name.

Idk about all that. The Tysha incident is worse than anything Randyll did to Sam imo.

The only reason Tywin didn't publicly shame Tyrion, or send him to the Wall or something like that was to protect his own image, and the Lannister name.

In fairness Tyrion probably wouldn't have gone meekly into the night(swatch) as Sam did. That said Tarly moulded his son into somebody who could be cowed through years of bullying bordering on outright torture. Tyrion seemed to be largely ignored.

I still think Tarly is worse. I hate Tywin (do not understand the sympathy for the guy at all) but I believe him when he said he was going to arrange for Tyrion to take the black rather than die. He felt enough (love/responsibility/whatever) to save his life which is more than can be said for Tarly.

I hate Tywin (do not understand the sympathy for the guy at all) but I believe him when he said he was going to arrange for Tyrion to take the black rather than die. He felt enough (love/responsibility/whatever) to save his life which is more than can be said for Tarly.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that offer only in the show?

True. However, had Tyrion expressed an interest in becoming a maester, where his abilities would be put to use, where he might be useful to Tywin one day, and most importantly where he would be removed from inheriting anything, Tywin would've jumped on it.

Basically Randyll is stupider in his abuse. Also Tywin never threatened to murder Tyrion so far as I recall. I really don't know which is worse.

Archived