Aussies LXIV - Invasion Day Edition

The Winged Shadow

Hockey no doubt, but I don't think Morrison is particularly damaged. I can't name any particulars blunders on his part on par with the budget backslash or Abbott's general fuckery (Manus island riots maybe, but that'll be long past come election time), and in my experience his popularity on the right is as high as anyone else.

If it comes down to it, I'd lean towards Bishop, but wouldn't discount Morrison. Turnbull I doubt.

Yeah, Hockey is definitely out. The unpopular budget has destroyed his "everyman" image and that was probably the only trump card he had. He doesn't strike me as a policy heavyweight or an ideologue who would have backing from the party establishment.

I think I now agree that Morrison is not in as bad a situation, so maybe I shouldn't have lumped him in with Hockey. But he has a big target painted on him because of his Immigration minister days. Manus Island riots, everything that's wrong with the asylum seeker policy (and there is a whole lot wrong with it), the left would have a field day demonising him. And I think if it gets enough airtime, eventually the Australian public would see that the "stop the boats" strongman image is really a sham compared to the facts and what is actually happening. The Liberals like to use it as a positive but the closer anyone looks at it, it clearly isn't.

I really would like Turnbull though. He would update the party and bring it much closer to the electorate, but I doubt he has the numbers yet. It's a while out before the next federal election though, so who knows.

So today is the day that I grab a handful of spare change and head to the sausage sizzle and cake stall. And vote while I'm there.

It's strange. I never ask who anyone will be voting for. Or ask who they voted for. I feel like that is a very personal thing to do. Usually you can gauge which way people lean between elections times. From political discussions.

I have also never told any one which way they should vote. From my opinion.

Usually that is the case with everyone I know.

But this election. Holy nut balls.

This morning I've had 3 texts from people asking me who I am planning to vote for and begging me not to vote LNP.

Even though I have never expressed intent to vote that way or the other.

My FB news feed is full of - who each person is planning to vote for, and a call to action to vote out LNP. Also people are posting a list of where their votes will be going and asking others to vote the same way.

What precedent is this? Has any one else experienced this? It just seems bizarre to me.

It's a pretty amazing swing. I was mostly just hoping that Campbell Newman would lose his seat, I certainly wasn't expecting a possible ALP win.

No more Campbell Newman and a solid sausage sizzle at the church i voted at, pretty good day in my books :)

I dunno, ABC has it looking most likely that ALP have a majority, then ALP minority with a minor likelihood of LNP minority.

Amazing result, I wish it could give me hope for NSW because of a few key issues (public transport being one of the main ones I have issues with the LNP on), but I'm not even convinced the NSW ALP deserve it and I'm left of them ffs.

I wonder if we can thank the Prince Philip "Captains Call" for this outcome? Everyone was expecting it to swing back to close, but not actually an ALP win. That pissed off a lot of people, although Campbell Newman did plenty of that on his own too.

Why is making Prince Phillip a Knight a big deal? Isn't he already the consort of Austrailia's monarch? Does it come with a salary or something? Is it more than a merely ceremonial title like an honorary Ph.d from Harvard for speaking at graduation?

it is ceremonial. But nobody likes Prince Phillip. The English don't like him. Why should Australia give an honour to someone who everyone hates? Because Abbot is a raging Monarchist and has no respect for 75% of the Australian population.

It's purely ceremonial, but it's just the latest silly thing in a long run of mistakes, amplified by the PM originally saying that the awards would be for deserving Aussies and then inexplicably choosing Phillip over someone who's 1) Australian and 2) done something, and that he did so without consulting anyone within the party (which he has happened before, even with significant policy).

There wasn't any reason to give Phillip the award other than Abbott's Anglophilia.

Why is making Prince Phillip a Knight a big deal? Isn't he already the consort of Austrailia's monarch? Does it come with a salary or something? Is it more than a merely ceremonial title like an honorary Ph.d from Harvard for speaking at graduation?

Ants has already answered it, but in addition to that - all the other issues of Australia Day aside, he is supposed to be honouring Australians, to give it to a Greek born British monarch basically says there are no Australians worthy of the honour. Another issue is that honours go down the ladder, not up and consort to the Queen is above both the PM and a Knighthood so it makes no sense. Finally as ants said, he is an extremely disliked figure, he is pretty universally acknowledged as an extremely racist, tactless bigot. Why the fuck should we be honouring him for doing nothing?

Pretty much what the above posters said. There are plenty of people in Australia who want it to be a republic, and Abbott is a Monarchist. To restore Knights and Dames, in the guise of honoring Australians, and then....not doing that....And then to make it worse, to give it to a prince consort....it's...just so fucking dumb. Ugh.

Insults upon insults, just piling up. It's mind boggling that he is showing himself to be so god damn incompetent in so many aspects of Australian politics. It's inevitable that the party you personally don't support will eventually come into power. But even then you expect a certain level of competence. He does not have it. And it's infuriating that somehow this idiot managed to grab power. BAH!

It really was a mind boggling move by Abbott.

Looks like we won't know final results of qld election for a bit. I imagine there'll be a recount in a couple close seats. That said labor forming government is a pretty good bet.

Archived